General
   >> Auction Lots
Thread views: 113293 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
bluepennylady
(member)
07/25/06 12:33 PM
Re: Category Field [re: bluepennylady]  

HI,

Let's do some maintenance on your computer and the AW2K database to see if we can get you up and running.

Restart your computer.

You are using Windows XP?
Go to Start | My Computer. Right click on the C Drive. Select "Properties' on the drop down menu.
Click the "Tools" tab on the applet that appear. Select "Error-Checking". Another box will appear. Just click Okay and a quick scan will proceed. You should do a thorough scan later on. But right now let's see if we can get this fixed for you.

After the scan has completed, Go to Start | Programs | Auction Wizard | Backup Database. And do a backup.

When the backup is completed,
Go to Start | Programs | Auction Wizard | Rebuild database.

You will be reminded to perform a backup before you rebuild. You have done the backup so click okay and let the rebuild utility work. Sometimes it takes a while. Just leave the computer alone until the rebuild is done. There should be 90 tables that rebuild successfully.

After the rebuild, run Auction Wizard and see if the AWOL fields will stay put.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/26/06 04:15 PM

Hi Judy

I've done the database backup and rebuild routine, the same thing is happening. Again, once I click on another site in the auction profile drop-down, it's gone (the category
information) not only in the category field but also in the GRID VIEW mind you. I take it that the check mark functions the same way as the "SAVE" functionality in most applications. I hit the check mark a million times and no change.

I agree I am new at this. Especially using AW2K. But I don't think that has anything to do with it. I am even new at Ebay and auction selling in general. But this is just technical issue.

bluepennylady
(member)
07/26/06 08:03 PM
Re: Category Field [re: sbliss]  

Hi,

I am glad the backup and database is done. That way we know for sure the database is all in order. So that is good.

There is a possibility something went haywire when you downloaded AW2K and installed it. It does happen sometimes. If that is the case, it is easily remedied.

Are just the categories disappearing when you change Auction profiles? Or is all the information disappearing as well. e.g. images, description, Auction Title, Start Price? Or does that information stay put and just the category disappear?

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/26/06 09:40 PM

Just the category information. Everything else is OK!. Thanx

sBliss

bluepennylady
(member)
07/27/06 04:16 AM

Hi,

Okay, that is what I was hoping was disappearing. Let me see if I can explain how it works.

You are creating Auction Lots in the Auction lot window? You are not creating Inventory Items first and then creating an Auction lot from the Inventory Item?

There are some of the Auction Lot fields that stay the same no matter which Auction site the Auction Lot is listed. The Auction Title Line, Start Price and Sub-Title are the fields(lines) that you fill in yourself (user defined). The Auction Site does not have anything to do with "making up those lines" Whoever is listing the item, gets to determine those fields.

The category is the another issue. Although, you get to pick what category your item goes into, the Auction site provides you with the list of categories. And you can select the category from that list. The list is different for each Auction Site.

With that said, when you create an Auction lot for Auction profile bluepennylady(eBay) and select Category Home & Garden | Tools | Other Tools from the category selection box, that category will be displayed and it will remain displayed.

Even if I change to my other eBay Store profile. Meaning if I switch from bluepennylady(eBay) to bluepennylady(eBay Store). The reason the category does not disappear is the category selection for ebay and eBay Stores is the same.

But if the Auction lot profile is changed from bluepennylady(eBay) to bluepennylady(Overstock) the category field is going to disappear. Why? Because I just changed to a different Auction Site. The category list is different at Overstock. So I have to choose a new category from the Overstock list.

It is completely normal for the category to disappear from an Auction lot created without an Inventory Item when the Auction Profile Site is changed. If you use Inventory Items and fill in the Category fields for all the Auction sites where you will be listing the item, the Category field will not disappear. The category is filled in from the Inventory Item.

Think of the Auction lot you created in the Auction lot window as a picture of what you are wanting to sell. When you change where you are going to list the item, the picture has to change to fit into the Auction site. And you have to fill in changed spots, which is the category field.

The only way to keep from the category disappearing when changing from one Auction Profile Site is to use completed Inventory Items and then create an Auction lot from the Inventory Item. Which is one of the reasons I use Inventory Items for everything.

To get a better idea of how the Inventory Items works, try going to the Inventory Items window by clicking the "Inventory Items" tab located directly above "Auction lots" tab. And create an Inventory Item for one of your items. Fill in everything just like you did for the Auction lot you created in the Auction lot tab. When all the fields are filled in and you are ready to create an Auction lot, click the little red hammer located in the toolbar.

After you have created an Auction lot from an Inventory Item, then switch the Auction profiles around, Watch the category fields. If you filled in the Category fields in the Inventory items window, the Category you selected will appear on the Auction lot. No matter how many times you change the Auction profile. That is because you completed all the "pictures" of your item in the Inventory items window.

Try the Inventory Items. I think it will clear up quite a bit for you.

I am sorry for the short novel. But I hope that helps you.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/27/06 09:00 AM

Judy

With all due respect, I understand everything you said. For example, you're right. Each of auction site has a different category set up and so you would think if I select Ebay and select its proper category. Select Yahoo along with its proper set up, select Overstock with its asigned set up. You would think each category should stay with its assigned auction site as you said, and, by elementary technical understading.

But that's not what is happening. After assigning all these different category for their assinged auction site. If I want to go back and verify information for correctness, if click on Overstock, I expect Overstock to show up with its assigned category. But NO! Overstock will show up in the auction profile, yes! But not its assigned category. And that goes for everyone of them.

I have waisted so much time on this already. I spent so time trying to figure this out and I have gotten so frustrated. Why I have been out work for sometime now and I wanted to try comething different. I have yet to make my first listing. I cancelled my subscription for the Ebay LISTING PLATFORM to try this. I have tons of other things to take care of. For example, I am trying to build my website site on my own because I can afford cost structure involved. The worse part, I have never build a anything in my life before, let alone an online storefront. Time is of the essence to me right now. Having said that, I am going to try the INVENTORY ITEM method. If that don't solve the problem, I will have to try some other system.

On one other note, please be advised that I deeply appreciate how hard you've tried to help solve this problem. I just can't waist anymore time on this any longer. I like the system. I want use the system but I am waisting too much time on it. And it's gotten me very very frustrated.

Please advise if there is any other more convenient solution for this beginner. Thanx.

bluepennylady
(member)
07/27/06 09:50 AM

Hi,

I know exactly how hard it is learning new software program is. And how frustrating it can be. Especially since I do Beta testing for other software programs. I hear you loud and clear. Thank you for being honest. Not many people will say exactly what they are having trouble with so there isn't a way to help them. Just please keep in mind learning any new software program worth its salt is not always easy. Not because the program is necessarily difficult but I am not use to the terms, navigation or how the work flows. Once I get the hang of the terms and how to move around in the program, it isn't so hard. With that said, you have made an excellent choice to use AW2K for your Auction business. I tried over 25+ programs over the course of 4 months before finding AW2K. I have never been sorry for one second I selected AW2K. So hang in there. And Plus I am enjoying helping you

You are a brave soul building your own website. Not many people have the nerve to try it. I built my own. What is right, I did it. And what looks bad or is wrong, well I did that too . So if I can do it, and I am not that bright or that good, you can do it too.

One of the nice features about AW2K is you can use the AW2K to upload thumbnail pages of your auctions to your website. Go take a look at my website. (www.pennyworthsales.com) Just don't laugh at me. I am no website designer. Well go ahead and laugh, I can take it

Click on the eBay auctions or Overstock auctions page and then the link to that auction site. The thumbnail pages you are directed to are created and uploaded using AW2K.

I know you are frustrated. But you have not really wasted time. It only feels like it right now because you are faunching at the bit to get to listing. In all reality, you have become familiar with the Auction lots window of the program. And you need to be familiar with that window. And working in each area is the only way to become familiar. I would give you an A+

You have made a very good decision to refrain from using eBay listing tools or Overstock's listing tools for that matter. None of their tools, at either site, offer the flexiblity, features or the stable platform for growth. Nor are they cost effective. The tech support stinks. I have tested and used almost all of every single one of the programs offered at both sites. In fact, I just finished testing one at Overstock and am currently testing another program at eBay and started another test at Overstock. A web-based program is not a good option for a long list of reasons.

Using the Inventory Items will eliminate the category disappearing when changing between Auction profiles.

I will be online all day today. I work on line most everyday. So be sure and let me know if you run into a snaffu you don't understand. I bet you and I can fix it and have you listing in short order.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/27/06 11:34 AM

Thanx Judy, I appreciate it. Will keep you posted on any new development.

sbliss.

bluepennylady
(member)
07/27/06 12:33 PM
Re: Category Field new [re: sbliss]  

Hi,

Please do, I really don't mind helping you at all. It is fun. I love trying to figure all of this out. Makes me really think, which is a scary in itself!

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/28/06 08:42 AM
Re: Category Field new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hello Judy

I think I can get used to the Inventory Item method. I am preparing for my first auction.

Sal
But Judy please be advised that I need more than just technical advice from you. With all due respect, I need advice on just about every aspect this business to be successful. Particularly, I need immediate help in finding good product suppliers. You can't sell anything until you have something to selI. I am beginning to love this business already. But I am completely new at this (I am speaking very candidly). So a direction, an advice of any sort coming from a level of expertise and experience such as you have, will be very highly appreciated and greatly honored.

Please advise if you have any immediate ideas on product suppliers. Thanx in advance for your assistance.

Sal

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads