General
   >> Auction Lots
Thread views: 112345 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
sbliss
(stranger )
07/24/06 11:21 AM
Category Field  

Accidentally put wrong category in CATEGORY FIELDS while creating auction lots, how can I get rid of it

bluepennylady
(journeyman)
07/24/06 11:28 AM
Re: Category Field new [re: sbliss]  

Hi,

No problem. My staff does that all of the time.

I presume you are referring to the eBay category and not your eBay Store user defined categories.

Click on the radio button on the far right side. Same one you used to get the first category. Select the correct category and click OK. The new category will appear.

If you have already listed the auction lot, you will need to edit the Auction lot on eBay and change the category from there. Then change the category in AW2K to coincide with the auction you edited on eBay. Does that make sense ?:o)

Hope that helps.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/24/06 11:56 AM
Re: Category Field new [re: bluepennylady]  

Thanx, Judy but I do not want any categories appearing in those fields at all, at this point. Please advise.

bluepennylady
(journeyman)
07/24/06 11:58 AM

HI,

Are you working in the Auction Lots or Inventory Items?

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/24/06 02:50 PM

I am working in auction lots.

bluepennylady
(member)
07/24/06 03:27 PM

HI,

Well it has just now dawned on me exactly what you asked. You did not say 2nd category field. You said Category field. The Category field is entirely different. I am so sorry. The Category field cannot be cleared. The 2nd category field can.

You could consider saving the description to your Notepad or WordPad and then saving the image to a file and deleting the Auction lot. Then start over. If not the Category field value is a problem. That would work as long as you don't have a ton of Auction lots to do.

I am sorry I just read it wrong. So I will now go to my room for the evening without any supper and no ice cream :o)

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/24/06 03:34 PM

Thanx, Judy. You really are the greatest! Enjoy your evening.

sbliss

bluepennylady
(member)
07/24/06 03:42 PM

Hi,

Do I get to enjoy my evening in my room?? Or can I come out. I promise I won't pester anyone for ice cream though :o)

You are most welcome. I truly am sorry I read your request incorrectly. I now have on my reading glasses. Like that is going to help my over 50 mind :O)

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/24/06 03:49 PM

If you'll do me the honor to come out, pestering me with an ice cream won't bother me one bit. And I mean that from the deepest recesses of heart. Thanx again.

sbliss

bluepennylady
(member)
07/24/06 03:50 PM

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/24/06 04:07 PM

Judi,

You won't believe what's now happening. All the categories of everyone of lots is gone. And if I try to fill them in again, it won't stay. What is going on here? I may had spoken too soon. Please advise.

sbliss

bluepennylady
(member)
07/24/06 08:42 PM

Hi,

sorry, I was gone to VBS. Since I am the music director, they think I should be there to teach the music and sign language to around 200 kids. It would be okay but the music this year is like high impact aerobics. Gee I am glad I am still in decent shape :o)

Well, now you have disappearing categories. Like now you see them, now you don't :o)

Do you mean the categories you entered into the Auction lots in error are now gone?

Have you changed Auction profiles from one Auction site to another? Meaning changed an Auction from an eBay regular auction profile, to eBay store or visa versa. Or changed the Auction lot from eBay to Overstock or visa versa. If so, the category selection will disappear. That is unless the category fields are completed in the Inventory Items window.

The "won't stay" issue may require Thom's assistance. He is the master at this type of thing. Try restarting AW2K and see if that corrects the problem.

After that if the categories would not stay, I would email Thom for help. He is a master at this type of thing.

I scan my hard drive for errors and restart the server before I do anything else just to be sure I don't have a system glitch somewhere. Be sure you backup your database before you go any further. It is really important to have a current database backup. So if something goes amuck, Thom can fix it.

Let me know if the restarting the computer and AW2K corrects the problem or not.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/25/06 05:18 AM

Judy

Yup! That's correct. Also, with respect to changing profiles, I had to change profile in order to populate information on the item to the other auction sites if I am going to list the item on those other sites. That shouldn't cause that much of a problem. If it should, then I have a concern. That is, the ability to list an item on multiple sites is in question. One of the most important reasons I want to try AW2000. Please advise.

bluepennylady
(member)
07/25/06 07:24 AM

Hi,

Changing profiles is not a problem at all. I have several profiles configured that I use for different auction sites and different shipping methods, etc. As long as you have completed the default settings in the Auction Profiles, all the information will fill in the fields when you change Auction profiles.

There are not default category settings. However, that can be solved by using the Inventory Items and then creating auction lots from Inventory Items. Select the category you wish for the item to be listed in for all the Auction venues offered in the "Category, Shipping options and Item Specifics" tab. Then when you switch Auction profiles, the category selection is pulled from the related Inventory Item. And if you do not want category selections to be displayed, as you indicated earlier, then simply do not select categories in the Inventory Items window. Does that make sense??

Let's say you have 6 green monkey statues you want to list. You can create a Stock Inventory item, qty in Stock 6. Then you can create an Auction lot for eBay, eBAy Store, Yahoo and Overstock. That is as long as you have an Auction profile configured for all those Auction venues. Auction Wizard tracks how many are committed and where those items are committed. AW2K also tracks how many you have available that are not committed to anything. I find the Inventory Items window indispensable even if I only have 1 of an item. My staff creates Inventory Items for every single item before it is listed. I never just create an Auction lot anymore. I find it too difficult to manage 4000+ auctions in addition to all the diverse product lines we have coming in to liquidate. But I used Inventory Items when I was running 50 auctions.

You can most certainly list on several auction sites using AW2K. eBay, eBay Stores, Yahoo, Player Auctions and Overstock. Once you get the hang of managing auctions and understand the invoicing part, you can even manage auctions on unsupported auction sites. And you can manage sales on your own website. I do it on a weekly basis.

I hope this helps you a bit. If not, well just holler and I will try again.

Have a super day!

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/25/06 08:56 AM

Hi Judy

It seems to be staying put now as lomg as I do not touch any other site from the drop-down menu on the auction profile to attempt to populate it. The question still remain, how do I get the other sites to list the product if I can not touch them .

You're saying the only solution is to use the inventory item method. Agree? Please advise.

bluepennylady
(member)
07/25/06 09:30 AM

HI,

Let me help with one issue at a time. Because I think a couple of different things are going on.

First, the category disappearing when you switch from one Auction profile to another is completely normal. That is if you are simply creating Auction Lots and not using Inventory Items.

For example, if I create an Auction lot for eBay(bluepennylady), fill in category, then next week change the Auction profile to Overstock(bluepennylady), the Category field is going to be blank again. I will need to select a category.

That is one of the reasons I use Inventory Items for every single item. My staff completes all the fields in Inventory Items. Then if I change the Auction lot from eBay(bluepennylady) to Overstock(bluepennylady) the category field fills in because the information is pulled from the Inventory Items record. It is more efficient to do the work in the Inventory Items.

I am not sure what you mean "If you cannot touch them" Do you mean how can you list if the category keeps disappearing when you switch between Auction Profiles? You can list the Auction lots, but you will need to fill in the Category fields when you change Auction Profiles.

Here is the way it works, If I create an Auction lot for ebay, and fill in the category field, then switch to eBAy store, the category will remain because the category selection is the same for eBay regular auctions and eBay store. But if I switch to Overstock or Yahoo, category field will be blank.

So in answer to your question, if you want to be able to switch between Auction sites without having to re-enter the category, you will either need to use Inventory Items and complete the fields. Or create an Auction lot for each Auction site where you want to list that product, complete the category field. You can always change the status of the Auction lot if you do not want to risk listing it at the wrong time. (Auction lots status can be changed by clicking the drop down menu)

I hope that makes sense.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/25/06 10:42 AM

That's exactly what I was doing yesterday. I filled information for Ebay including selection of category. After that I select Yahoo from the same auction profile drop-down menu, it gives me a blank fiields to fill including selecting category. I want to repeat the same process for Overstock all of a sudden everyone of the vanished. I mean completely blanked out. So today I fiiled out for Ebay and left the rest of the sites untouched and moved on to another product. Could it be some sort of a bug too?

bluepennylady
(member)
07/25/06 11:15 AM

Hi,

You mean not just the category is what went blank, but every single field on the Auction lot? You mean the images, description, start price, Auction title line all disappeared?

Are you sure you didn't accidentally create a new Auction lot by hitting the "+" sign on the toolbar? It is above the Auction Profile drop down. My newer staff has hit that "+" button lots of times and ended up somewhere other than where they needed to be with a blank Inventory Item.

Also be sure you are hitting the Post Changes button (looks like a checkmark on the tool bar) before you change Auction profiles and sites. It is the same idea as using Word or Works, If you move to another page before you save your work, you can lose your work. I require my staff to Post Changes after they complete every field. That may be overkill but it sure keeps them from having to redo work should they accidentally hit Cancel Changes or something else happens.

The Auction Title line, Start price, Buy Price, Sub-Title field, Store and 2nd Store category fields should not go blank when changing between Auction profiles or Auction sites. The shipping Options, Item specifics and Category fields will need to be filled in every time you change Auction Profiles and Auction sites. That isn't a bug but rather a feature.

It is better to be required to edit those fields when changing Auction profiles and sites. As you know, the rules are not the same for every auction site. Overstock does not support shipping calculators or Item specifics. So if the shipping options an dItem specifics remained the auction lot would fail when submitted. The categories are very different between the Auction sites as well..

I gather you just downloaded AW2K and started using it? Once you get past the setup stuff, you will be more than pleased. AW2K makes it super easy to manage your auction business as well as Inventory. I have been using AW2K for over 4 years.

Let me know how it goes after you Post Changes to your work before you change Auction profiles and sites.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/25/06 11:57 AM

Judy

Your analysis makes a whole lot of sense to me. There's only one problem there. The check mark went greyed out, it's been greyed out, still greyed out as I am talking to you.That's
why I thought of the possibility of a bug.

By the way, I have refreshed the page a million times.

Edited by sbliss on 07/25/06 12:00 PM (server time).

bluepennylady
(member)
07/25/06 12:00 PM

HI,

The checkmark will gray out until you make changes that need to be Posted. After you Post the Changes the checkmark will gray out again until there is another change to Post.

If you hit the "Edit Record" button (looks like a triangle onthe tool bar to the immediate left of the checkmark) the Edit record button will gray out and the Post changes button becomes active again.

Have you saved your work once and then the checkmark grayed out?

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(member)
07/25/06 12:33 PM

HI,

Let's do some maintenance on your computer and the AW2K database to see if we can get you up and running.

Restart your computer.

You are using Windows XP?
Go to Start | My Computer. Right click on the C Drive. Select "Properties' on the drop down menu.
Click the "Tools" tab on the applet that appear. Select "Error-Checking". Another box will appear. Just click Okay and a quick scan will proceed. You should do a thorough scan later on. But right now let's see if we can get this fixed for you.

After the scan has completed, Go to Start | Programs | Auction Wizard | Backup Database. And do a backup.

When the backup is completed,
Go to Start | Programs | Auction Wizard | Rebuild database.

You will be reminded to perform a backup before you rebuild. You have done the backup so click okay and let the rebuild utility work. Sometimes it takes a while. Just leave the computer alone until the rebuild is done. There should be 90 tables that rebuild successfully.

After the rebuild, run Auction Wizard and see if the AWOL fields will stay put.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/26/06 04:15 PM

Hi Judy

I've done the database backup and rebuild routine, the same thing is happening. Again, once I click on another site in the auction profile drop-down, it's gone (the category
information) not only in the category field but also in the GRID VIEW mind you. I take it that the check mark functions the same way as the "SAVE" functionality in most applications. I hit the check mark a million times and no change.

I agree I am new at this. Especially using AW2K. But I don't think that has anything to do with it. I am even new at Ebay and auction selling in general. But this is just technical issue.

bluepennylady
(member)
07/26/06 08:03 PM

Hi,

I am glad the backup and database is done. That way we know for sure the database is all in order. So that is good.

There is a possibility something went haywire when you downloaded AW2K and installed it. It does happen sometimes. If that is the case, it is easily remedied.

Are just the categories disappearing when you change Auction profiles? Or is all the information disappearing as well. e.g. images, description, Auction Title, Start Price? Or does that information stay put and just the category disappear?

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/26/06 09:40 PM

Just the category information. Everything else is OK!. Thanx

sBliss

bluepennylady
(member)
07/27/06 04:16 AM

Hi,

Okay, that is what I was hoping was disappearing. Let me see if I can explain how it works.

You are creating Auction Lots in the Auction lot window? You are not creating Inventory Items first and then creating an Auction lot from the Inventory Item?

There are some of the Auction Lot fields that stay the same no matter which Auction site the Auction Lot is listed. The Auction Title Line, Start Price and Sub-Title are the fields(lines) that you fill in yourself (user defined). The Auction Site does not have anything to do with "making up those lines" Whoever is listing the item, gets to determine those fields.

The category is the another issue. Although, you get to pick what category your item goes into, the Auction site provides you with the list of categories. And you can select the category from that list. The list is different for each Auction Site.

With that said, when you create an Auction lot for Auction profile bluepennylady(eBay) and select Category Home & Garden | Tools | Other Tools from the category selection box, that category will be displayed and it will remain displayed.

Even if I change to my other eBay Store profile. Meaning if I switch from bluepennylady(eBay) to bluepennylady(eBay Store). The reason the category does not disappear is the category selection for ebay and eBay Stores is the same.

But if the Auction lot profile is changed from bluepennylady(eBay) to bluepennylady(Overstock) the category field is going to disappear. Why? Because I just changed to a different Auction Site. The category list is different at Overstock. So I have to choose a new category from the Overstock list.

It is completely normal for the category to disappear from an Auction lot created without an Inventory Item when the Auction Profile Site is changed. If you use Inventory Items and fill in the Category fields for all the Auction sites where you will be listing the item, the Category field will not disappear. The category is filled in from the Inventory Item.

Think of the Auction lot you created in the Auction lot window as a picture of what you are wanting to sell. When you change where you are going to list the item, the picture has to change to fit into the Auction site. And you have to fill in changed spots, which is the category field.

The only way to keep from the category disappearing when changing from one Auction Profile Site is to use completed Inventory Items and then create an Auction lot from the Inventory Item. Which is one of the reasons I use Inventory Items for everything.

To get a better idea of how the Inventory Items works, try going to the Inventory Items window by clicking the "Inventory Items" tab located directly above "Auction lots" tab. And create an Inventory Item for one of your items. Fill in everything just like you did for the Auction lot you created in the Auction lot tab. When all the fields are filled in and you are ready to create an Auction lot, click the little red hammer located in the toolbar.

After you have created an Auction lot from an Inventory Item, then switch the Auction profiles around, Watch the category fields. If you filled in the Category fields in the Inventory items window, the Category you selected will appear on the Auction lot. No matter how many times you change the Auction profile. That is because you completed all the "pictures" of your item in the Inventory items window.

Try the Inventory Items. I think it will clear up quite a bit for you.

I am sorry for the short novel. But I hope that helps you.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/27/06 09:00 AM

Judy

With all due respect, I understand everything you said. For example, you're right. Each of auction site has a different category set up and so you would think if I select Ebay and select its proper category. Select Yahoo along with its proper set up, select Overstock with its asigned set up. You would think each category should stay with its assigned auction site as you said, and, by elementary technical understading.

But that's not what is happening. After assigning all these different category for their assinged auction site. If I want to go back and verify information for correctness, if click on Overstock, I expect Overstock to show up with its assigned category. But NO! Overstock will show up in the auction profile, yes! But not its assigned category. And that goes for everyone of them.

I have waisted so much time on this already. I spent so time trying to figure this out and I have gotten so frustrated. Why I have been out work for sometime now and I wanted to try comething different. I have yet to make my first listing. I cancelled my subscription for the Ebay LISTING PLATFORM to try this. I have tons of other things to take care of. For example, I am trying to build my website site on my own because I can afford cost structure involved. The worse part, I have never build a anything in my life before, let alone an online storefront. Time is of the essence to me right now. Having said that, I am going to try the INVENTORY ITEM method. If that don't solve the problem, I will have to try some other system.

On one other note, please be advised that I deeply appreciate how hard you've tried to help solve this problem. I just can't waist anymore time on this any longer. I like the system. I want use the system but I am waisting too much time on it. And it's gotten me very very frustrated.

Please advise if there is any other more convenient solution for this beginner. Thanx.

bluepennylady
(member)
07/27/06 09:50 AM

Hi,

I know exactly how hard it is learning new software program is. And how frustrating it can be. Especially since I do Beta testing for other software programs. I hear you loud and clear. Thank you for being honest. Not many people will say exactly what they are having trouble with so there isn't a way to help them. Just please keep in mind learning any new software program worth its salt is not always easy. Not because the program is necessarily difficult but I am not use to the terms, navigation or how the work flows. Once I get the hang of the terms and how to move around in the program, it isn't so hard. With that said, you have made an excellent choice to use AW2K for your Auction business. I tried over 25+ programs over the course of 4 months before finding AW2K. I have never been sorry for one second I selected AW2K. So hang in there. And Plus I am enjoying helping you

You are a brave soul building your own website. Not many people have the nerve to try it. I built my own. What is right, I did it. And what looks bad or is wrong, well I did that too . So if I can do it, and I am not that bright or that good, you can do it too.

One of the nice features about AW2K is you can use the AW2K to upload thumbnail pages of your auctions to your website. Go take a look at my website. (www.pennyworthsales.com) Just don't laugh at me. I am no website designer. Well go ahead and laugh, I can take it

Click on the eBay auctions or Overstock auctions page and then the link to that auction site. The thumbnail pages you are directed to are created and uploaded using AW2K.

I know you are frustrated. But you have not really wasted time. It only feels like it right now because you are faunching at the bit to get to listing. In all reality, you have become familiar with the Auction lots window of the program. And you need to be familiar with that window. And working in each area is the only way to become familiar. I would give you an A+

You have made a very good decision to refrain from using eBay listing tools or Overstock's listing tools for that matter. None of their tools, at either site, offer the flexiblity, features or the stable platform for growth. Nor are they cost effective. The tech support stinks. I have tested and used almost all of every single one of the programs offered at both sites. In fact, I just finished testing one at Overstock and am currently testing another program at eBay and started another test at Overstock. A web-based program is not a good option for a long list of reasons.

Using the Inventory Items will eliminate the category disappearing when changing between Auction profiles.

I will be online all day today. I work on line most everyday. So be sure and let me know if you run into a snaffu you don't understand. I bet you and I can fix it and have you listing in short order.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/27/06 11:34 AM

Thanx Judy, I appreciate it. Will keep you posted on any new development.

sbliss.

bluepennylady
(member)
07/27/06 12:33 PM

Hi,

Please do, I really don't mind helping you at all. It is fun. I love trying to figure all of this out. Makes me really think, which is a scary in itself!

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/28/06 08:42 AM

Hello Judy

I think I can get used to the Inventory Item method. I am preparing for my first auction.

Sal
But Judy please be advised that I need more than just technical advice from you. With all due respect, I need advice on just about every aspect this business to be successful. Particularly, I need immediate help in finding good product suppliers. You can't sell anything until you have something to selI. I am beginning to love this business already. But I am completely new at this (I am speaking very candidly). So a direction, an advice of any sort coming from a level of expertise and experience such as you have, will be very highly appreciated and greatly honored.

Please advise if you have any immediate ideas on product suppliers. Thanx in advance for your assistance.

Sal

bluepennylady
(member)
07/28/06 08:57 AM

Hi, Sal,

Glad to know your name. Thanks for telling me :o)

That is so cool! I am so very glad you find the Inventory Items window usable. There is another little perk, that I like especially because I happen not to be a good typist. Because an Auction lot has to be created from the Inventory Item, I look at the Inventory Item one more time. And often catch an error or 2 that either I have made (or my staff has made). I mean it is not like there isn't a spell checker or anything :o) You would think we would all use the spell checker. But sometimes we all forget here and then I will see a misspelled word or 2 when creating an Auction lot.

Anyway, that is great you are getting ready to list!

You don't have to be bashful about asking me anything. I am happy to share what little I know. I am not new but I am still learning right along with everyone else. So you fit right in. We all "be learning together" :o)

I will be help you with suppliers. I don't mind. But that might be better shared via email. Why don't you email me through the board here and I can get back to you on that.

When you get an auction listed, let me know. I wanna go look

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/28/06 11:00 AM

Hi Judy

Here's my email address: sbliss@nyc.rr.com. Thanx.

Sal

bluepennylady
(member)
07/28/06 11:19 AM

Hi, Sal,

I will email you later today.

Let me know how your first auction listing goes. I really do want to see it.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/28/06 12:00 PM

I sure will; but you still have to show me how to upload them from AW2K to the various sites. I am going to be working with just the main 3, i..e. Ebay, Yahoo, and Overstock Thanx agian.

Sal

bluepennylady
(member)
07/28/06 12:04 PM

Sal,

Not a problem. I will be happy to give you a step by step.
Just let me know when you are ready.

I list at eBay, eBay stores and Overstock everyday. Just finished listing my auctions about 45 minutes ago. I use to list at Yahoo all of the time but I quit. I did not have good luck there at all.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/28/06 08:57 PM

Hi Judy

What duration should I use and why? I mean, should my auction last 1day, 3, 5, 7 and why? Also, does it make any different to list on any particular day and if so why? Do you set reserve price? I prefer to set reserve price because I am afraid I might auction my items way below their value. I am new remember, and I am terrified as hell; excuse my english. Especially, being of a risk-averse nature. Please advise.Thanx.

Sal

bluepennylady
(member)
07/28/06 10:11 PM

Sal,

You are wise to be cautious and think through what you want to do. But if what you start out doing does not work, you can modify your plan. Businesses change their strategy all of the time to keep pace with market trends. Or simply to adjust to internal changes.

I was scared spitless when I first started too. So I can relate. But don't panic, going online is really a very good business decision.

Opinions on days of the week to list and times to list are as varied as people. And although, there is a science to some of it, the other part is just what works for you.

Whatever day and time you decide to list, be consistent. Never allow your page to display "Seller is currently not offering any items" Or "No current auctions" That is like driving across town to your favorite store to get a gallon of milk only to find the store closed. You will think twice about driving to that store to pick something you need. The same concept applies to your buyers and/or prospective buyers. If you have nothing online, they may remove you from their favorite seller and not check back for months.

Setting a scheduled time and days of week you want to list will help you remain organized and efficient. It also will increase your hit and sell through rate as your buyers will come to know when you list and check everyday to see what is new. Often times as little as 15 minutes after my auctions are listed, I will have watchers and bids. That is because I have listed in the same time frame for almost 4 years.

I list only Tuesday thru Friday, 12 noon to 1:30 pm. Not before then and not after. Reason being, before noon is generally too early to get any inquiries answered from last minute buyers prior to Auction end. I tried listing at 10:00 am, but we could not get all the inquiries answered before the auctions ended and our sell through rate dropped. So I slowly moved our listing time back later by about 30 minutes everyday until I had the time that worked better. In the summer time, people's kids sleep in later, or there are morning sport event practices, get the work done outside before the heat settles in. Noon to around 1:00 or so catches most people across the USA lunch times. Lots of buyers "shop" on their lunch. If I list after 1:30 pm, it is simply too late in the day to same day ship a heavy load of successfully ended auctions. Especially if you list on Friday. If the auctions end at 3:30 pm and the Post Office closes at 4:00. You may not be able to ship buyers items until the following week. Depending on how many days a week you ship.

Duration times depend on what you want to do and the season. For instance, if you decide to use 7 day auctions, it might be prudent to use a few 3 day and 5 day auctions around Christmas to encourage last minute gift buying. I use 10 day Auctions on Overstock for all my Make It Mine auctions. There is not an additional charge for 10 day on Overstock. There is an additional charge for 10 day at eBay. Hence, I never use 10 day auctions at eBay.

I set up my Auction business on a 7 day duration. My personal preference only. I personally like 7 day auctions. If I am going to spend. 35, .60 or $2.40 to list, I want the most exposure for my money. And 7 days is the longest exposure without incurring additional fees. Plus it is consistent. Every single week, I have x auctions coming off at approximately the same time Tuesday thru Friday. I can schedule my staff's time better and adjust workloads more easily. 7 days isn't too long for a buyer to wait for that special goody. Trying to keep up listing and relisting auctions set at 3 or 5 day is not cost effective or productive use of my time or my staff's time. Plus the Buy It Now and Make It Mine auctions come off all of the time add to the successfully ended auctions picture. So the 7 day works very well, at least in my books.

1 day auctions are often viewed by buyers as possible scams. That is because everyone has heard the horror stories of the "hit and run" sellers. I do not recommend using 1 day auctions especially for new sellers entering the Auction MarketPlace. Without any ratings/feedback, buyers will be very skeptical to buy from you. Plus think about how much money you are spending versus the exposure on the Auction site. 1 day doesn't give you much exposure time.

I do not list on Monday for one reason only. That is because we use Monday for clean up from all the weekend Buy It Now and Make It MIne activity. Most Monday's that is a real chore as we are not online on Saturday and Sunday. I have also found Wednesday to have a lower sell through rate as the other days I list For me, and I have been listing consistently at the same time for 4 years, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are very good.

Many sellers list on the weekend. I do not because I do not want my weekends tied up managing auctions. And many sellers list in the evening. I do not because for a couple of reasons. First, my business is open 9-5 retail and online. I run my Online Auctions exactly like a business, complete with set hours. It is important to contact the winning bidders as soon as possible after the conclusion of the auction. If you list at night and the next week something comes up which keeps you from managing the ended auctions, it could be even the next day before you can contact your buyers. Prompt communication is imperative in order to be successful. But if you like to list in the evening and are consistent, you will establish your own niche. There is a whole community of night owls that like to shop online late at night. So do what works for you.

Gee, this looks like a short novel

Now to ease your "risk-adverse nature". You might consider to start listing low dollar items at first. If you make a mistake, there won't be such a monetary risk while you learn the "ropes" Plus feedback is feedback. Whether the feedback is left for a $5.00 item or a $500.00 item. Higher feedback can earn higher ending prices.

I do not often use Reserve prices. It costs to use the feature which adds cost to my bottom line. For the most part, my Start price is the lowest price I would take for the item. I printed off the eBay Insertion Fee chart to help determine the start price. If I want $10.00 for something, I will use the Start price of $9.99 because it only costs .35 to list something with a $9.99 start price. It costs .60 to list something with a start price of $10.00.

I hope I have helped a tad. And eased your anxiety. I do understand.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/29/06 07:17 AM

Hi Judy

Thank you so much for the advice. Thank you. I really appreciate it. It really does ease up some tension. ' Willl need to make a few agjustments before listing obviously. ' Will keep you posted on any new development. Until then, please enjoy your weekend.

Sal.

bluepennylady
(member)
07/29/06 07:41 AM

Sal,

That is great. I am really glad you are feeling a bit better about the Online business thing.

I understand about the "risk adverse" nature. I am married to a man who is not afraid to try anything. He is a risk taker deluxe and he is married to a "let's look at this carefully and consider all of the aspects" girl. After 32 years, I have learned to just jump in with him with both feet. If we drown, at least we go together :o) Good thing I am an excellent swimmer

Let me know if you need anymore help. I can't play today as it is my Saturday to work in the retail store. But tomorrow, after the VBS program, hubby gets to come home for a few days. He and I are going to go do something FUN!

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/30/06 08:40 PM

Hi Judy

I made the listing today. I had 5 different items spreaded out for the three auction sites i.e. Ebay, Yahoo, and Overstock.

With Ebay, 4 listings failed with the following error messages:
1. An error occured while parsing Title and Description page.
2. An error occured while parsing Payment and Shipping page.
3. An error occured while parsing Pictures and Details page.
4. An error occured while parsing Payment and Shipping page.
The one that got listed, AW2K was not able to transmit the picture and so you have a space as though a pic should appear there but not showing. An email confirm from Ebay advised to revise and add a pic.

On Yahoo, only 2 items got listed. Again, those items are without the pictures. The other remaining 3 I don't know thier where abouts, although, AW2K confirmed listed.

With the Overstock listing, 3 of the listings appeared correct with the pictures and everything. 2 are nowhere to be found.

Adjustments and corrections need to be made, obviously, in my hadling of AW2K and the many aspects of this business. All in all I was just thrilled with experience, but particularly, I was ecstatic with the capability of AW2K. Even with my very limited understand of it. I realized quickly that with a good handle of the software, it should make it a whole lot easier to be successful in this buisiness.

That said, please advise as to where to begin adjustments. I can never thank you enough. But thanx anyway. Until I hear from you, bye for now.

Sal

bluepennylady
(member)
07/31/06 06:04 AM

Sal,

How exciting!! It is absolutely thrilling to see your very own auctions going online!

So for an image you have the little "pizza box" instead of an image, huh. :o) You mean you don't want to show pizza boxes for what you are selling. You had in mind to use an image of that goody :o)

Before we go any further, have you checked for program updates for categories? Go to Tools | check for program updates. AW2K will check to be sure there isn't a Category update available for eBay. If there is, allow AW2K to run the update for you.

Did you check your FTP settings in AW2K to be sure it was configured correctly? There is is a button on the FTP configuration tab "Test FTP Settings" Just click that button and AW2K will check to be sure your settings are correct for you. To get to the FTP tab, go to File | FTP Account. Click on the FTP account you configured in AW2K so it is blue. In the lower part of the page displayed, is the test settings button.

If you tested the FTP and the settings are correct. Did AW2K upload images to your webspace in the Lister? That is the first step when listing. After you select "List Queued Lots", AW2K generates all the images for you. A Lister window appears asking if you wish to "Upload Images to FTP server". The box next to that question should be checked. It is selected by default. Just be sure that box is checked otherwise AW2K "thinks" you don't want to upload images.

"Payment and Shipping" errors. First, have you edited your Shipping preferences in "My eBay"? They must be edited in your eBay preferences page before you can use the Shipping calculator in your listings. If you haven't edited them, let me know, I can help you with it. At least with the basics as most of the available options are based on how you want to conduct your own business.

"Payment and shipping" errors are most usually caused by how you have the Shipping options set on that Auction lot in AW2K. Go to one of the Auction lots that failed because of payment and shipping. Click on the "Shipping Options" tab. Carefully go through every single option and be sure your choices are correct based on the package weight and Shipping method you have selected. For instance, you have not selected First Class for a 1 lb item. Or Airmail Letter Post for a 5 lb item as it is too heavy and needs to go Economy Parcel Post, or Airmail Parcel Post. Also be sure if you have offered International shipping, you have checked the boxes next to the countries to which you will ship. If no countries are selected and you have chosen International, the Auction lot will fail when submitted.

The "Title and Description" errors I would need to see the Listing log to tell exactly what happened as with "Pictures and Details" Which a really cool thing about AW2K, Thom has so wisely included logfiles so he can tell what is happening when you list or update. Or anything else for that matter. Such a smart guy he is I can assure you that not all programmers are that smart or that good.

I'll give you the instructions for sending me your listinglog later on. And I can look and see what went haywire. Or maybe I should say, I can try to figure out what went haywire. I have an idea but I want to make sure.

So at Yahoo, AW2K downloaded the Auction id number and the Auction lot status changed from "Queued for listing" to "Online"? But you cannot find the Auction listings online at Yahoo on your own My Auctions page? Or you cannot find them in all the online Yahoo Auctions?

If the Auction lots at Overstock are not appearing in "Current Auctions" on your HomePage, then you can re-submit those Auction lots again. Just be sure, those lots are not not listed and appearing in Current Auctions. If they are not, re-submit them again.

While I am thinking about it, have you signed up for the Overstock Subscription plan? If not, you really ought to take a look at it. Very cost effective. Makes managing your monthly expenses much easier as there is a set price for listing x auctions every month.

Anyway, just to be sure, check your FTP account settings again and let me know. We will go from there.

And by the way, I am glad I can help you. This is fun. I truly enjoy helping new users get up and running.

Judy/blue

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
07/31/06 04:15 PM

Hi Judy

AW2K did find and performed a category update. The FTP Tests passed. With Payment and Shipping, it was intended to be shipping and tax free. The problem is that none of the sites showed me an option to select that, and so I thought that might automatically show up as shipping & tax free. The reason, I didn't want to get into the complexity of those calculation just yet. So I decided to take up the tab and incorporate them in my pricing instead.

I have not set any shipping preferences in My-Ebay. It appears I will have to go do that also. Thanx again.

With respect to the pictures, it seems as though AW2K was able to access and collect them from their location without any problems. On Ebay, it looks like one of those situation where sometimes you will have to refresh the browser for the picture to appear. Although in my case I refreshed the browser many times and it still not appearing. In other words, AW2K did uplopad the pic there. That's about what I can tell you now. Please advise. Thanx.

Sal

bluepennylady
(member)
07/31/06 05:13 PM
Re: Category Field new [re: Anonymous]  

Hi Sal,

That is good the FTP test passed. Could you be so kind as to provide the eBay Auction id for a couple of the affected auctions? I mean the ones with no image appearing.

Now for the category update. You should go to Auction lots window and check the category fields. You will most likely find a few whose category field is now blank. When eBay makes a category change, the old category will be "erased" so you can select a new category. Otherwise, the Auction lot would never submit because of an out of date category selection.

Free shipping is defined by the seller. So if you wish to sell everything with Free shipping, then simply edit your listing template. I would suggest duplicating your listing template and remaning it something you can easily remember. Then if you make an error, you can delete it and the original is still available to duplicate and re-do again.

Sales tax is something you should most definitely inquire of your legal council or accounant. check your States website for information about destination based sales tax. In Kansas, I must collect sales tax for anything delivered within the State of Kansas. Because that is where my business is.

Let me know about the Auction id numbers.

Judy/blue

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
07/31/06 09:29 PM

Judy

There were no auction IDs generated for those listings that failed as they were completely rejected, unfortunately. The only auction ID is for the one that got listed. Please advise.

Sal

bluepennylady
(member)
08/01/06 00:10 AM

Hi,Sal,

I am confused. I thought you meant you have auctions listed for which no images are appearing at eBay. Meaning, the auction was listed but when you went to eBay to see the Auction listing, all you could see are little white boxes with the x in the corner.

Do the Auction lots you have listed have pictures showing up on them? If you have 1 Auction lot that is listed without an image showing up on it, that Auction id will work.

Could you give me your user id at eBay so I can look at your sellers list.

Judy/blue

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
08/01/06 05:10 AM

Hi Judy

You're right, I am afraid you didn't understand and I appologize for the confusion. I said, I had 5 different items that was suposed to be auctioned on each one of the 3 sites.

On Ebay, 4 out of the 5 items were rejected completely with those error messages that I wrote down for you. The one that was successfully listed, the picture is not showing as though the page has to be refreshed for the picture to show. This one that was successfully listed, I do have the auction ID number: 23001344370

On Yahoo, I see all 5 listings in My Actions when I put in my user iD. But again the situation of the pictures remain the same.

Now, I think I spoke too soon on Overstock. On Overstock, all 5 items were listed successfully. Only 1 of those 5 successfully listed items having picture problem. What I should have mentioned though is that, I was rejected for MAKE IT MINE lisitng on all five.

All in all, I tap myself in the back or maybe you should tap me in the back for having the confidence to make my first listing and finally getting the jitters out. Ha ha ha ha ...............

Thanx again and please advise.

SAL

bluepennylady
(member)
08/01/06 07:35 AM

Hi, Sal,

Thank you for clarifying.

Have you clicked on the Auction Title of one of the Overstock Auctions whose image is missing? Is the image not appearing on the AW2K listing template? Or is it the gallery image that is not appearing? If it is simply the Gallery image that is not appearing, that happens on Overstock sometimes. Not as frequently as it use to as they have upgraded the infra-structure quite a bit. The Gallery image can be added by editing the listing on Overstock.

I checked the Auction id number. Ebay returns an invalid Item number. Could you please check the Auction id to be sure it is correct?

You deserve a huge pat on the back. Or maybe a hip hip hooray for stepping out and getting this done. Kind of like jumping into cold water, The Torso reflex. Hit the cold water and suck in air. But after you get into the water, it isn't so bad

Let me know about the Auction id number please.

Judy/blue

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
08/01/06 11:50 AM

Hi Judy

Please try this number for the Ebay auction ID 230013443703. I think there was a number lacking where I copied from my email.

I have just sent Thom some information he had requested when I contacted him this morning via email. Hopefully, something can be worked out.

Sal

bluepennylady
(member)
08/01/06 12:04 PM

Hi, Sal,

That number is correct. Thank you ever so much. Gee, I would love to see that piece. Sounds gorgeous!

Oh, you don't have to worry, Thom will be able to determine the cause of the error and how to best correct the issue. He is simply the best programmer and technician I have ever had the pleasure of working with. So you are in good hands. He will fix you up in short order.

Did you take a look at the Overstock subscription plan yet? And have you tried editing your eBay Shipping preferences as well?

Hummm, sounds like I am trying to keep you busy

Let me know when you guys get the images fixed. I wanna see that piece you have up for auction!

Judy/blue

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
08/02/06 10:49 AM

Hello Judy

I just recieved email from Overstock. Apparently someone is interested in buying one of my itmes. Overstock is questioning whether this is an Off-Site Transaction. I have NOT received any contacts whatsoever from this individual for that matter. I am not sure if this is a legitimate transaction or a scam. The transaction apparently is international. What should I do? Please advise ASAP.

SAL

bluepennylady
(member)
08/02/06 10:59 AM

Hi, Sal,

Are you saying Overstock contacted you about someone approaching you to sell them something??

Forward the entire email back to Overstock to sellershotline@overstock.com Overstock has a spoof email addy but I do not remember it off the top of my head. I think it is spoof@auctions.overstock.com but I just can't remember the entire email addy. The sellers hotline will be able to let you know if the email is legit or not.

Until you hear back from Overstock concerning the validity of the email, do not reply. Most of the time, we delete those email messages from the inbox.

It is best to remember to never click on any links in an email like that. Nor ever submit any information. If I want to know about an email, I will always forward it back to the auction site for verification.

Overstock Customer service is excellent. And someone will get back with you about it.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(member)
08/02/06 11:22 AM

Hi, Sal,

I failed to tell you that if the email is indeed from Overstock, they may be only supplying you with information concerning a potential fraudster buyer. I have had those emails from Overstock and eBay as well. So don't fret over it. You have not done anything wrong as long as you are not using the Overstock auction site to conduct off-site transactions. eBay and Overstock both get a bit testy about that.

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads