General
   >> Auction Lots
Thread views: 112351 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
bluepennylady
(member)
07/28/06 08:57 AM
Re: Category Field new [re: sbliss]  

Hi, Sal,

Glad to know your name. Thanks for telling me :o)

That is so cool! I am so very glad you find the Inventory Items window usable. There is another little perk, that I like especially because I happen not to be a good typist. Because an Auction lot has to be created from the Inventory Item, I look at the Inventory Item one more time. And often catch an error or 2 that either I have made (or my staff has made). I mean it is not like there isn't a spell checker or anything :o) You would think we would all use the spell checker. But sometimes we all forget here and then I will see a misspelled word or 2 when creating an Auction lot.

Anyway, that is great you are getting ready to list!

You don't have to be bashful about asking me anything. I am happy to share what little I know. I am not new but I am still learning right along with everyone else. So you fit right in. We all "be learning together" :o)

I will be help you with suppliers. I don't mind. But that might be better shared via email. Why don't you email me through the board here and I can get back to you on that.

When you get an auction listed, let me know. I wanna go look

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/28/06 11:00 AM
Re: Category Field new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Judy

Here's my email address: sbliss@nyc.rr.com. Thanx.

Sal

bluepennylady
(member)
07/28/06 11:19 AM

Hi, Sal,

I will email you later today.

Let me know how your first auction listing goes. I really do want to see it.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/28/06 12:00 PM

I sure will; but you still have to show me how to upload them from AW2K to the various sites. I am going to be working with just the main 3, i..e. Ebay, Yahoo, and Overstock Thanx agian.

Sal

bluepennylady
(member)
07/28/06 12:04 PM

Sal,

Not a problem. I will be happy to give you a step by step.
Just let me know when you are ready.

I list at eBay, eBay stores and Overstock everyday. Just finished listing my auctions about 45 minutes ago. I use to list at Yahoo all of the time but I quit. I did not have good luck there at all.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/28/06 08:57 PM

Hi Judy

What duration should I use and why? I mean, should my auction last 1day, 3, 5, 7 and why? Also, does it make any different to list on any particular day and if so why? Do you set reserve price? I prefer to set reserve price because I am afraid I might auction my items way below their value. I am new remember, and I am terrified as hell; excuse my english. Especially, being of a risk-averse nature. Please advise.Thanx.

Sal

bluepennylady
(member)
07/28/06 10:11 PM

Sal,

You are wise to be cautious and think through what you want to do. But if what you start out doing does not work, you can modify your plan. Businesses change their strategy all of the time to keep pace with market trends. Or simply to adjust to internal changes.

I was scared spitless when I first started too. So I can relate. But don't panic, going online is really a very good business decision.

Opinions on days of the week to list and times to list are as varied as people. And although, there is a science to some of it, the other part is just what works for you.

Whatever day and time you decide to list, be consistent. Never allow your page to display "Seller is currently not offering any items" Or "No current auctions" That is like driving across town to your favorite store to get a gallon of milk only to find the store closed. You will think twice about driving to that store to pick something you need. The same concept applies to your buyers and/or prospective buyers. If you have nothing online, they may remove you from their favorite seller and not check back for months.

Setting a scheduled time and days of week you want to list will help you remain organized and efficient. It also will increase your hit and sell through rate as your buyers will come to know when you list and check everyday to see what is new. Often times as little as 15 minutes after my auctions are listed, I will have watchers and bids. That is because I have listed in the same time frame for almost 4 years.

I list only Tuesday thru Friday, 12 noon to 1:30 pm. Not before then and not after. Reason being, before noon is generally too early to get any inquiries answered from last minute buyers prior to Auction end. I tried listing at 10:00 am, but we could not get all the inquiries answered before the auctions ended and our sell through rate dropped. So I slowly moved our listing time back later by about 30 minutes everyday until I had the time that worked better. In the summer time, people's kids sleep in later, or there are morning sport event practices, get the work done outside before the heat settles in. Noon to around 1:00 or so catches most people across the USA lunch times. Lots of buyers "shop" on their lunch. If I list after 1:30 pm, it is simply too late in the day to same day ship a heavy load of successfully ended auctions. Especially if you list on Friday. If the auctions end at 3:30 pm and the Post Office closes at 4:00. You may not be able to ship buyers items until the following week. Depending on how many days a week you ship.

Duration times depend on what you want to do and the season. For instance, if you decide to use 7 day auctions, it might be prudent to use a few 3 day and 5 day auctions around Christmas to encourage last minute gift buying. I use 10 day Auctions on Overstock for all my Make It Mine auctions. There is not an additional charge for 10 day on Overstock. There is an additional charge for 10 day at eBay. Hence, I never use 10 day auctions at eBay.

I set up my Auction business on a 7 day duration. My personal preference only. I personally like 7 day auctions. If I am going to spend. 35, .60 or $2.40 to list, I want the most exposure for my money. And 7 days is the longest exposure without incurring additional fees. Plus it is consistent. Every single week, I have x auctions coming off at approximately the same time Tuesday thru Friday. I can schedule my staff's time better and adjust workloads more easily. 7 days isn't too long for a buyer to wait for that special goody. Trying to keep up listing and relisting auctions set at 3 or 5 day is not cost effective or productive use of my time or my staff's time. Plus the Buy It Now and Make It Mine auctions come off all of the time add to the successfully ended auctions picture. So the 7 day works very well, at least in my books.

1 day auctions are often viewed by buyers as possible scams. That is because everyone has heard the horror stories of the "hit and run" sellers. I do not recommend using 1 day auctions especially for new sellers entering the Auction MarketPlace. Without any ratings/feedback, buyers will be very skeptical to buy from you. Plus think about how much money you are spending versus the exposure on the Auction site. 1 day doesn't give you much exposure time.

I do not list on Monday for one reason only. That is because we use Monday for clean up from all the weekend Buy It Now and Make It MIne activity. Most Monday's that is a real chore as we are not online on Saturday and Sunday. I have also found Wednesday to have a lower sell through rate as the other days I list For me, and I have been listing consistently at the same time for 4 years, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are very good.

Many sellers list on the weekend. I do not because I do not want my weekends tied up managing auctions. And many sellers list in the evening. I do not because for a couple of reasons. First, my business is open 9-5 retail and online. I run my Online Auctions exactly like a business, complete with set hours. It is important to contact the winning bidders as soon as possible after the conclusion of the auction. If you list at night and the next week something comes up which keeps you from managing the ended auctions, it could be even the next day before you can contact your buyers. Prompt communication is imperative in order to be successful. But if you like to list in the evening and are consistent, you will establish your own niche. There is a whole community of night owls that like to shop online late at night. So do what works for you.

Gee, this looks like a short novel

Now to ease your "risk-adverse nature". You might consider to start listing low dollar items at first. If you make a mistake, there won't be such a monetary risk while you learn the "ropes" Plus feedback is feedback. Whether the feedback is left for a $5.00 item or a $500.00 item. Higher feedback can earn higher ending prices.

I do not often use Reserve prices. It costs to use the feature which adds cost to my bottom line. For the most part, my Start price is the lowest price I would take for the item. I printed off the eBay Insertion Fee chart to help determine the start price. If I want $10.00 for something, I will use the Start price of $9.99 because it only costs .35 to list something with a $9.99 start price. It costs .60 to list something with a start price of $10.00.

I hope I have helped a tad. And eased your anxiety. I do understand.

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/29/06 07:17 AM

Hi Judy

Thank you so much for the advice. Thank you. I really appreciate it. It really does ease up some tension. ' Willl need to make a few agjustments before listing obviously. ' Will keep you posted on any new development. Until then, please enjoy your weekend.

Sal.

bluepennylady
(member)
07/29/06 07:41 AM

Sal,

That is great. I am really glad you are feeling a bit better about the Online business thing.

I understand about the "risk adverse" nature. I am married to a man who is not afraid to try anything. He is a risk taker deluxe and he is married to a "let's look at this carefully and consider all of the aspects" girl. After 32 years, I have learned to just jump in with him with both feet. If we drown, at least we go together :o) Good thing I am an excellent swimmer

Let me know if you need anymore help. I can't play today as it is my Saturday to work in the retail store. But tomorrow, after the VBS program, hubby gets to come home for a few days. He and I are going to go do something FUN!

Judy/blue

sbliss
(stranger )
07/30/06 08:40 PM

Hi Judy

I made the listing today. I had 5 different items spreaded out for the three auction sites i.e. Ebay, Yahoo, and Overstock.

With Ebay, 4 listings failed with the following error messages:
1. An error occured while parsing Title and Description page.
2. An error occured while parsing Payment and Shipping page.
3. An error occured while parsing Pictures and Details page.
4. An error occured while parsing Payment and Shipping page.
The one that got listed, AW2K was not able to transmit the picture and so you have a space as though a pic should appear there but not showing. An email confirm from Ebay advised to revise and add a pic.

On Yahoo, only 2 items got listed. Again, those items are without the pictures. The other remaining 3 I don't know thier where abouts, although, AW2K confirmed listed.

With the Overstock listing, 3 of the listings appeared correct with the pictures and everything. 2 are nowhere to be found.

Adjustments and corrections need to be made, obviously, in my hadling of AW2K and the many aspects of this business. All in all I was just thrilled with experience, but particularly, I was ecstatic with the capability of AW2K. Even with my very limited understand of it. I realized quickly that with a good handle of the software, it should make it a whole lot easier to be successful in this buisiness.

That said, please advise as to where to begin adjustments. I can never thank you enough. But thanx anyway. Until I hear from you, bye for now.

Sal

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads