General
   >> Auction Lots
Thread views: 54651 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
superbuy
(stranger )
10/14/06 09:45 PM
Updating Images in Online Auctions  

Hey All,

I'm hoping someone has a suggestion on how to fix a problem I'm having. I created about 20 new items, added descriptions & pictures, created auction lots and uploaded them to my eBay store. When I went to look at my auctions online I noticed the formatting was wrong because my pictures were supersized. I found out that somehow in AW2K I had unchecked the resize images checkbox so the pictures were uploaded at their full original size. I went ahead and checked the resize images box and went back in AW2K and edited each of the images. Now I'm trying to figure out a easy way to update the running store listings with the new images. I can't find anyway to force an update. Any suggestions without having to cancel all 20 listings? Thanks in advance!

superbuy
(stranger )
10/14/06 10:37 PM
Re: Updating Images in Online Auctions new [re: superbuy]  

Well I thought I had figured it out...

I used FTP to download the LotImgxxx.jpg pictures from the Auction lots with the supersized pictures. I used PLiska to batch resize them to the size I wanted keeping the file names the same. I then uploaded the LotImgxxx.jpg files back to my AW2K folder on my web server overwriting the old files. I went back on eBay and viewed the listings only to find that the lower quality resolution images were being streatched to the same dimensions as the previous images with the final result looking very bad. Ut Oh... What now?

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/14/06 11:10 PM

Hi:
The easiest way to fix the problem (one all of us has had at one time or another) --- fix the pix in AW2K. Make sure you've checked what you want and everything is OK. Just as if you are ready to upload. Then check the box to make the auction lots OFF LINE. Then on each lot click it to queue for listing. Then click on upload auctions for that profile just as if they have never been uploaded or listed. Click ok for it to upload the pictures. THEN when it gets to the part where you upload the auction itself to eBay CANCEL OUT. Go to each auction and put it on line in the check box at the top. Now you have uploaded the correct photo for each page. Go to your eBay page and all should be OK. If for some reason the photo name changed you will have to edit that in eBay. However, you should be good to go without having to do that. Hope this helps.

Garry

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/15/06 01:34 AM
Re: Updating Images in Online Auctions new [re: AquilaStamps]  

HI,

Yep, I've done that too Been there, done that Garry's remedy is the way to go.

Let us know if you need more help.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/15/06 01:54 AM

Hi,

I know this is a bit late as far as the images you have uploaded now but something you might consider doing to all your images in terms of editing, is to always resize all images and shrink all images by factor 2. It will save space on your hard drive and in the AW2K image folder as well.

Just a thought.

Judy/blue

superbuy
(stranger )
10/16/06 01:39 AM
Re: Updating Images in Online Auctions new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Thanks Garry for your help. It worked like a charm.

superbuy
(stranger )
10/16/06 01:42 AM
Re: Updating Images in Online Auctions new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Judy, I took your advice and started resizing and shrinking my images by a factor of 2. After reading more in the forums, I discovered that there is a 2 GB limit in AW2K so I will need to watch how I store them in AW2K. Thanks!
Larry

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/16/06 05:06 AM

Larry:

Glad it worked for you. Every once and a while all of us get caught like that and have to fix up a pix or two. As far as I know it is the easiest way to do it and not have to canx the auction and relist it. That choice is usually unacceptable in that you now have an additional eBay listing charge.

Judy's comment on the size is also good advice. Anyone with large photos should take that recommendation to heart. At the very minimum it saves server space where ever you upload images.

Garry

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/16/06 05:39 AM

Larry,

You are correct. There is a 2GB image folder. Shrinking by factor 2 will decrease the image size enough that you will be able to have thousands of Inventory Items with multiple images.

Keep in mind images are not duplicated when you create an Auction lot from an Inventory Item. There is a reference made to the original image, not a copy. That reserves spacein the image folder. That 2GB folder holds more than you think but it is a good idea to get into the habit of resizing and shrink by factor 2.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/16/06 09:17 AM
Re: Updating Images in Online Auctions new [re: bluepennylady]  

Larry & Judy:
This information may very well be a repeat of stuff you already know. If so just nevermind

Images that you scan have several obvious choices. Many times people will scan an image on their home scanner and do it at 300 or even greater dpi - thinking the bigger the number the better looking the pix will be. If the image is only to be used for display on a computer then you have increased the size of your image unnecessarily by using such a large DPI. Remember, the computer's monitor can only display 72/75 dpi. With that in mind you will notice that the image file size (that amount of space taken up on the hard drive and eventually your or the eBay server) will change dramaticaly depending on scanning resolution. Here is an example:

A 3x5 Image scanned at 100% using True Color at:

1200 DPI = 63.4mb
600 DPI = 15.8mb
300 DPI = 4.0mb
200 DPI = 1.8mb
150 DPI = 990.2kb
100 DPI = 440.1kb
75 DPI = 247.5kb

With those numbers you can see that it only makes sense to use either 75 or 100 DPI. Actually I find that with AW2K 100 works very well. However, all rules are made to be broken. There may very well be times when you want a larger DPI especially if you think it may be used at a later time in a brochure or some type of printed piece. Even in that case it is best to scan the image twice as long as it is available. One scan for eBay and another to be put aside for use later by the printer when they are doing your brochure.

If you are going to go to a commercial printer with your image remember that DPI should be in the 300 range for good reproduction. A rule of thumb is find out what line screen the printer will be using (i.e. 150) and double that for your DPI.

If you use a JPG image another thing to remember is that you should use the NO LOSS setting. And even if you do that, every time you resave that image there will be some loss in quality. It is best then to do all of your editing and resizing and fiddling in as few saves as possible - this will give the best of all possible images. When a jpg is saved a few pixels are thrown out with every save. Early on it isn't noticable yet as more saves are done it can be seen in loss of quality.

Sorry -- I sure didn't mean to go on and on but thought that as long as we were talking about images that this may be useful. If there are other questions let me know. I've left out a few hints 'cause it was beginning to sound a lot pompus lol - so let's quit while I'm ahead.

Garry

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads