General
   >> Auction Lots
Thread views: 54659 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
bluepennylady
(addict)
10/17/06 10:15 PM
Re: Updating Images in Online Auctions new [re: superbuy]  

Hi,

Are you deleting those images off your hard drive after you add them into AW2K?

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/18/06 04:41 AM

Larry:
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm working on the wording etc. now and in a few days it should be ready to post. I hope that it is helpful to those that are having problems and or questions with images.

Garry

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/18/06 04:45 AM

Larry:

I'm a google-fan and have been since it started in beta way back when. I've also used Picasa and find it very useful. I use it to keep track of all of the various images used and rejected for our First Day Cover production process. If an image was even considered for a FDC then it is in the Picasa database. Prior to that they all just lived in a huge directory and obviously some were "lost" forever. Now, even those that deserve to be lost are still available.

Garry

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/18/06 06:11 AM
Re: Updating Images in Online Auctions new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:
You were asking Larry about image storage and archiving.

Here is what my workflow is like. I have a 200 gig USB removable hard drive that hangs off of the server. All images for AW2K go there. All images live there and that is a permanent home for it, unless it is an image of something that is rather ordinary.

At first I would delete the image off of the hard drive once it was put into AW2K and or after the auction had closed with a sale. The only problem was that if the item came back into stock I was spending time rescanning. So that process evolved into the system I use now. The 200 Gig hard drive will hold a ton of images for me and maybe it is the hoarding gene in me I find that it makes sense to keep them. Some have been archived onto CD's. An example would be 100's of stamps from some obscure country that I probably will never be using again - they are archived onto CD or DVD and removed from the hard drive. However, if it is an easily obtainable image or one that can be quickly scanned again if necessary it may be deleted totally from everything. All images go into specific directories (in my case country name) and each image is stored by its catalog number. This makes it easy to find the image if it is ever needed again. Because the drive is on the server it is part of the wireless network. So if I'm lazy I can work a brochure or sale list on the laptop from the family room and still use images that originally were used in aw2k.

Confusing huh? The short answer is that all images ever used for aw2K go to the Image Retirement Home on an external drive.

Garry

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/18/06 06:24 AM
Re: Updating Images in Online Auctions new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

That was my question. I am considering doing the same thing as I have ran into the same issue. I'll get rid of images and archive records, then the item pops back in and we are taking images again. I have seriously considered adding an external hard drive to my server just to move images to prior to archiving records. That's why I was poking to find out if Larry was deleting or moving images somewhere else after added to the AW2K database

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/18/06 06:36 AM

Judy:
The external hard drives available right now are really inexpensive - the images get a very cheap retirement home. Just to clarify what I said earlier - when the image is scanned it goes right away to that drive. When I'm doing the item in aw2k I go to that drive to find the image to put it into aw2k. So there is never any moving etc of images. From the get go they are on the external drive.

I might need a bit more explaination though -- you have to remember that I'm doing postage stamps -- however, the process could very well be the same for any type of item for sale. The stamps are placed on a flat bed scanner in a protective holder and scanned - sometimes up to 40 or 50 at a time. I then have software that will "cut" them apart. That first scan goes in a "rawimage" directory on the hard drive under the country name. Once the images are cut apart and are ready for placing on an auction page they are saved with the catalog number on the outboard hard drive.

When the auction is over there is no need to move any images as they are already at home on the external drive. This cuts down on moving and or forgetting to move. It also gives me only one place to find images. If it ain't there it just ain't. In your case where you have more than one person working on aw2k it would be easier for them to locate images.

Garry

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/18/06 06:44 AM

Garry,

Thanks for clarifying. I understood you loaded images directly into the external hard drive. My challenge is staff. Each staff member takes their own images and the images are stored on the removable media, then loaded into AW2K. When the 1GB SD cards are full, we just re-format them. But there have been numerous times the original images would have been extremely handy.

I organize my staff's work in the Inventory Items by assigning them Inventory Item number I have created. For instance, one of my girls is currently working on Inventory Item number 9200 to 9300. And she is working on one product line--pet supplies. so I could create a folder on the external hard drive for that staff member's Inventory Item number and product line and the subcategory the images into types. Chews, tack, etc. Prior to dumping the full SD card, they could move all the images to the external hard drive. Or that is what I have been considering doing anyway

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/18/06 06:55 AM

Judy:

I think you have a good idea. Create the item number as a main directory on the hard drive i.e. - 9200-9300. Then your staff person would immediatly dump all images from the SD Camera Card to that directory. They then would work off from that drive to do all of their work. Also if there was a ton of work on a particular set of images they could be assigned to two or more people and everyone would have access to images.

There then would not be an awful OOPS later on where someone forgot to dump images. In fact images could be dumped even before your person started to work on 9200-9300. The work flow could be that once the SD card was full someone would just dump it to the external drive. Then when the assignments were made images would already be there for them to begin work.

Garry

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/18/06 11:25 AM

Garry,

My workflow is arranged a bit differently. And I have been seriously considering re-doing how my staff works trying to find the most efficient method. How they work right now has become fairly efficient. I moved the photographic center right next to their workstations. And re-configured all the computer workstations in a small square cube so everything they need is within almost an arm's reach. Stocking product in the Storage locations has become a challenge. And I am fixin' to change that method to take less time putting product after entered into AW2K.

Things to do, things to do. Never ending is it??

If only I could get about 4 more of the 2 girls I have in the back now. They are sisters. And my word in the morning can they ever put in the Inventory Items. They match each other stride for stride averaging somewhere between 75 to 85 individual items per day---each. All that while also stocking their own product in the appropriate Storage locations. pulling orders, answering the phone as well as dealing with buyer inquiries. They are about to work me to the bone proofing work. Thankfully they rarely if ever make mistakes.

Now I am tired. Need more coffee

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads