General
   >> Auction Lots
Thread views: 45360 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
substance292
(journeyman)
12/21/06 09:34 PM
New API Error 240  

I'm suddenly having problems with listing & getting this error message:

API Error Code 240: The item cannot be listed or modified. The title and/or description may contain improper words, or the listing or seller may be in violation of eBay policy.

I'm lost, don't know what it is about. I read the AuctionBytes article about eBay's new policy on counterfeit items, and thought that jewelry might be in it. I made a couple of changes suggested in eBay community pages regarding wording & shipping. Didn't help. Does anyone know about this?

Thanks for any help!

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/21/06 10:12 PM
Re: New API Error 240 new [re: substance292]  

Hi,

The API error 240 generally means the Auction listing is in violation of a duration for a particular category. For instance, some collectible categories cannot be listed for 3 days. You must use 5, 7 or 10. So check the duration for the affected Auction lot.

Let me know if that fixes the problem

Judy/blue

substance292
(journeyman)
12/21/06 10:12 PM

Nevermind.......

I had added in my policies section that I would accept Google Checkout & Xcoin. I took that out and eBay now accepts it.

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/21/06 10:14 PM

HI,

Excellent. That particular API error always deal with those type of issues.

Judy/blue

substance292
(journeyman)
12/23/06 01:15 PM
Re: New API Error 240 new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Judy,
That just seems a little strange because I listed things a week earlier with the same template. Also, the same wording is in my Payment Instructions section. Had me worried, I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong!

-Cher

http://www.JewelryByCherDesigns.com

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/23/06 02:39 PM

Cher,

No worries. I had the same error a few days ago. Keep in mind that eBay makes system changes weekly and daily. So sometimes what will work last week, won't fly this week. Pitiful isn't it!

Have a Merry Christmas!!

Judy/blue

substance292
(journeyman)
12/23/06 02:44 PM

Hi Judy,

Kind of pitiful. I think the worst is that they don't/won't tell sellers what the changes are so they can comply. I guess there's so much fraud out there they can't help it.

-Cher

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/23/06 02:51 PM

Cher,

You are quite right. They never tell. Often announcements are made so obscurely, no one ever sees them. I have to read and read to find the changes.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
12/24/06 09:27 AM

Cher:
You're right eBay is famous for not telling what their changes are. Often you have to stumble onto them and try to figure out what is wrong - just like you did. One thing to remember though is that eBay publishes a list of "acceptable" payment services. I remember when Google came out with their payment system eBay stated that it was too new and unproven and possibly open to fraud. Therefore, they felt that it wasn't good enough to be acceptable to eBay and wouldn't allow it.

The link to their foolishness about "acceptable" payment systems is:

http:// http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

Here is their list - it's a long one. Also I seem to remember before they purchased PayPal they did not have a list of acceptable payment systems. One could assume they are protecting their investment in PayPal.

Payment Services permitted on eBay: Allpay.net, Bidpay, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Moneybookers.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, Paymate.com.au, Propay.com, XOOM

Payment Services not permitted on eBay: AlertPay.com, anypay.com, AuctionChex.com, BillPay.ie, ecount.com, cardserviceinternational.com, CCAvenue, ecount, e-gold, eHotPay.com, ePassporte.com, EuroGiro, FastCash.com, Google Checkout, gcash, GearPay, Goldmoney.com, graphcard.com, greenzap.com, ikobo.com, Liberty Dollars, Moneygram.com, neteller.com, Netpay.com, paychest.com, payingfast.com, Payko.com, paypay, Postepay, Qchex.com, rupay.com, sendmoneyorder.com, stamps, Stormpay, wmtransfer.com, xcoin.com

Garry

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/24/06 10:39 AM
Re: New API Error 240 new [re: AquilaStamps]  

I think Google is going to give eBay a run for their money. I really do. Since I have been uploading my store items into Google base, my hits and sales have gone through the roof.

Judy/blue

substance292
(journeyman)
12/24/06 02:49 PM
Re: New API Error 240 new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Hi Garry,

Thank you so much for the information! Payments policies was the one place I didn't think of checking. I'm going to have to edit my template then. I think Judy is right, Google is gaining on eBay. Even the "little guys" are starting to gain some on eBay. IMO if the people at eBay were authorities on keeping fraud in check then they wouldn't get sued for allowing so much counterfiet to be sold.

Hope you are having a wonderful holiday!

Cher

moonstruck22
(stranger )
12/24/06 07:29 PM

How do you go about uploading to Google Base? I am also going to take the plunge and get a website going after the first of the year so get prepared for many questions! Thanks again everyone for all the help, past and present!
Marty
Moonstruck22

moonstruck22
(stranger )
12/24/06 07:39 PM
Re: New API Error 240 new [re: moonstruck22]  

After I posted the above, I see you have started a thread in the catch all about Google Base, so sorry! Probably should read all the new posts before I post.

Judy,I will be looking forward to you educating the masses, AGAIN!
I probably shouldn't be looking at this on Christmas Eve anyway --- Again to all Happy Holidays!

Marty
Moonstruck22

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/24/06 08:33 PM
Re: New API Error 240 new [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty,

Well, as soon as I get off of dead center, I will get some information for you all. But tonight, well, I am with you. I better get finished with pre-Christmas stuff. My grandkids are bouncing off the walls waiting for christmas morning at grandma and grandpa's house. But right after Christmas, I promise, I will tell you all what little I have discovered.

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads