General
   >> Auction Lots
Thread views: 12291 *Threaded Mode

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
10/07/07 07:31 PM
New (unsupported?) Item Specifics?  

I changed the categories for some ongoing auctions today and was surprised to see there were several Item Specifics choices not supported by the current version of AW.

Two examples are:

Entertainment Memorabilia: Movie Memorabilia: Other

Advertising: Clothing & Fashion: Other Items

There are a bunch of details in Item Specifics under these categories, but they do not show up in AW.

Are these new? Any word on when AW will support these Item Specifics in their infinite specificity?

And what's the deal with "Add a custom detail"?

Sue

AuctionWizardAdministrator
(Auction Wizard Team)
10/08/07 12:10 PM
Re: New (unsupported?) Item Specifics? new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

We check for updates to the eBay category list and Item Specifics on a daily basis. If either have changed, an update is released (Tools | Check for Program Updates... on the menu bar). If a category does not have Item Specifics, then the eBay API did not return any Item Specifics for that category.

-- The Auction Wizard Team

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
10/08/07 01:05 PM
Re: New (unsupported?) Item Specifics? new [re: AuctionWizard]  

One example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140164799724

This auction was originally in Collectibles > Advertising > Other > Ads.

I revised its category to Collectibles > Advertising > Soda > Royal Crown/Nehi/Diet Rite

Before submitting the revision, I had to select the following details which are labeled Item Specifics on the auction page:

Soda; Brand; Product Type; Type; Material

In AW, the only Item Specific which shows up for this category is the checkbox for New.

I'm running the latest version of Auction Wizard.

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
10/09/07 11:14 AM
Re: New (unsupported?) Item Specifics? new [re: AuctionWizard]  

Here's another one: 140164799908

Looks like this on the auction page:

Description (revised)
________________________________________________________________________________
Item Specifics

Industry: retail establishments....................Product Type: Ads
Makes: supermarket..................................Brand: A&P

Every auction I've revised recently has these new (?) Item Specifics. Please tell me whether these are available when one uses eBay's own listing software (Turbo Lister?). The choices are a bit strange -- there's one named Makes which, by default, has automobile brands on the drop-down list, but you can elect to type in your own word.

This morning, there was a Category update, which I downloaded and installed, but these Item Specifics are still not showing up in AW's Lots page. If they aren't truly Item Specifics, what are they?

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
10/10/07 02:06 AM

Am I the only one seeing these Item Specifics? Have I switched over to Twilight Zone eBay? The Auction Wizard Team replied that, "If a category does not have Item Specifics, then the eBay API did not return any Item Specifics for that category." But I'm seeing them each time I revise an auction in Collectibles: Advertising (maybe that's the only category involved right now).

And it's not just my auctions. Here's someone else's auction that has Item Specifics which do not show up under the same category in AW:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-VINTAGE-A-P-STORE-BREAD-ADVERTISING-PRINTS-UNUSED-NR_W0QQitemZ300159944036

I'm not complaining; I'd just like some confirmation these Item Specifics are indeed new to the eBay system and will eventually be added to AW.

Thanks, Sue

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
10/10/07 03:28 PM

Sue,

I went in to edit one of my auctions so I could see exactly what you are talking about.

All the "extra" fields you see are those new "Custom item details" thing that eBay is just starting to introduce. The "Add item detail" button at the bottom, well, you can add however many extra fields there are. Or you can remove all those fields too.

eBay is just starting to add those Custom details to some of the category levels that currently do not have Item Specifics at a deeper level like some of the other ones.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
10/10/07 04:11 PM
Re: New (unsupported?) Item Specifics? new [re: bluepennylady]  

Ok, now I understand. Thanks for clearing this up, Judy.

These new Custom Item Details are a pain in the neck, if you ask me. If eBay just improved the whole Search function (ability to narrow our searches to just two or three Categories is just one example that comes to mind), people wouldn't need any Item Specifics.

Sue

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
10/10/07 07:16 PM

Sue,

Isn't that the truth!!

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store

*Threaded Mode
Jump to