General
   >> Auction Lots
Thread views: 10686 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
05/10/08 04:01 PM
May 12 rates/insurance info/upping Ship Options  

Today, a nice, sunny Saturday afternoon, I'm sitting here trying to update my postage cheat sheet. I've got the USPS new rates open in one window and my cheat sheet in another, side by side. What a drag! I've got everything updated, but I can't find the new pricing for Priority Flat Rate boxes (does anyone know where to find this info?). I suppose the PO doesn't even know yet (last year they reduced the price AFTER announcing it and posting it online). And now the International First Class rates are more complicated (I won't go there for this post).

My next task is to update my email templates. The only thing in them that needs to change is my blurb about insurance. I tell the buyer if they want to add insurance to adjust the payment accordingly, and I list the first four increments of coverage and how much to add for any additional increments. I've got about 40 templates to do, and as I'm sure you all know, it's quite tediuous. Have to open each template; drag the divider bar up to see the Invoice Footer; highlight the old text, paste in the new text; click to save and exit; go on to the next template............ There's gotta be a better way, especially considering it looks like the PO now considers rate increases to be an annual event.

What are you all doing? If you mention insurance rates in your email templates, do you have any tips for making the updating process faster?

If you don't include the rates (assuming you don't make insurance mandatory), how do you deal with it? Just leave it up to the buyer to figure out? I've noticed far fewer people are adding insurance in the last few years, even on things over $200.00, so maybe I should just forget about it, let them deal with it, just include the bit about not my responsibility if you don't add insurance. Thoughts?

And are you editing all the Shipping Options for your offline auctions/BINs to adjust up a few cents for any flat rate shipping costs (First Class, Media, under-a-pound Priority)? Or do you figure it's more trouble than it's worth and will just take a little pay cut for the already-configured Lots?

Sue

AquilaStamps
(addict)
05/10/08 04:52 PM
Re: May 12 rates/insurance info/upping Ship Options new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue:

Well, you're right - a beautiful Saturday and what a horrible time to be doing Postage Rates. You asked about insurance . . . I use DSI for insurance and my contract is pretty simple. Normally it is $0.75 for US and $1.00 for everywhere else. That way my templates for insurance show $0.75 for the US people and $1.00 for the rest of the world. It works out very good that way. Also I've noticed more and more people selecting insurance - I have a feeling it is because the price is reasonable. I don't always insure something if they don't request it unless I'm uncomfortable taking that kind of loss. If I feel that it should be insured I pay for it myself just for my comfort level. It paid off for me on a $83.00 package to Germany that just never got to the customer. I filed with DSI and got my money and it only cost me $1.00 at the front end. However, now that particular customer always asks for insurance. All of his other purchases had made it without problems. Don't know what happened but when I mailed it I wasn't sure I wanted to front that kind of money if it was lost. That is where DSI is so much easier and better than USPS Insurance.

As for the new postage rates - I spent a bit of time thinking about the work involved in changing everything for the few extra cents in postage. Currently I charge flat rate with combined shipping. There is just enough in the amount to cover the new increase. So my Executive Meeting Decision (EMD) was to leave shipping charges alone and let it go for now. You are so right - the increases will come yearly now - so next year I'll probably have to change the shipping charges then. But as Scarlet said - "I'll worry about it tomorrow"

The new Priority Mail rates according to the latest USPS Rate Sheet sent to Dealers is:

Priority Mail Flat Rate ENVELOPE - $4.80
Priority Mail Flat Rate Reg. BOX - $9.80
Priority Mail Flat Rate LARGE Box - $12.95

Here is the verbiage from the sheet:
1. $4.80 is charged for matter sent in a Priority Mail flat-rate envelope provided by the USPS, regardless of weight or destination.

2. $9.80 is charged for material sent in a Priority Mail regular flat-rate box provided by the USPS, regardless of weight or destination.

3. $12.95 is charged for material sent in a Priority Mail large flat-rate box provided by the USPS, regardless of weight to domestic addresses.

4. $10.95 for material sent in a Priority Mail large flat-rate box to APO/FPO destination addresses.

Hope this helps.

Garry

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
05/10/08 05:18 PM

Sue,

Boy I know what you mean. We have been working like crazy getting new cheat sheets at all the workstations. I can't keep all these changes memorized. I just wish the buyers were better educated about shipping costs going up. I have already had buyers emailing over this weekend wondering what's up because their shipping charge this week is higher than three weeks ago. I swear people don't pay attention!

The new Flat Rate box costs are
9.30--commercial rate
9.80 retail

The Flat rate box remains at $12.95

The FLat RAte envelope is 4.80 now instead of $4.60

Ther Retail and Commercial rates are new. It looks like if someone ships around 15 packages a day, you qualify for commercial rates. I don't remember if it is 15 or 10... I will have to look. The average is based on a quarter shipping for 5 days a week. Even though it is only .50 or so per package, that could add up and be really helpful to sellers.

To address insurance, I use the Insurance chart in My Preferences at eBay.. I use to make Insurance mandatory and it mad buyers mad so now it is optional. So the correct Insurance charge (for a single transaction) appears at the checkout level to the buyer... And I have a blurp to about if the buyer elects not to insurance an item, it is their responsibility.

I don't have Insurance charges showing up in my Listing templates. That is the different Insurance price points don't appear. The insurance charge naturally appears on the total amount due invoice because it is included in the insurance charge field on the Invoice. I'll have to think on a quicker method to update templates

I am taking the time to update all my Flat Rate shipping auctions. But I do that in the Grid view so I can update multiple auctions at one time. I still have quite a few calculated shipping auction lots and will probably have to continue using calculated as we deal in such a wide variety of product. Anything I can move to Flat rate though, I am moving to Flat Rate.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store
Visit our website too!
http://www.pennyworthsales.com

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
05/11/08 12:28 PM
Re: May 12 rates/insurance info/upping Ship Options new [re: bluepennylady]  

Well, both of you have given me a lot to think about. Will get to work on changing my insurance policies today.

Thanks for the pricing on the flat-rate boxes, not that I use them very often, but I do like to know when they make sense.

I've got a bunch of auctions ending tonight that have old ship rates (flat rates), so I know I'm going to take a small hit on those. Does eBay's shipping calculator adjust automatically tomorrow for any calculated shipping, or will it update only for auctions submitted on or beyond the 12th?

Sue

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
05/11/08 05:18 PM

Sue,

From what I have read, only the calculated fees are adjusted at the checkout level... Any buyer paying at the checkout on this past Friday were charged the new USPS rates... But if I understood correctly, Flat rate is not adjusted. Whatever we as sellers submitted as the Flat rate is what the buyer is charged.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store
Visit our website too!
http://www.pennyworthsales.com

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
05/11/08 05:37 PM
Re: May 12 rates/insurance info/upping Ship Options new [re: bluepennylady]  

Ok, thanks, Judy. That makes sense.

Sue

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode