General
   >> Auction Lots
Thread views: 13959 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
11/16/08 03:16 PM
Switch Profiles & Item Specs disappear  

Is this an AW glitch or is there some rationale for this behavior?

I select the Category and then make all the Item Specifics selections. Then I decide to switch from my auction ID to my Store ID, and all the Item Specifics go blank even though the check boxes stay the same.

I don't think there's anything in my Profiles that would make the Item Specifics for one Profile not work for another Profile, but maybe I'm missing something.

Sue

bluepennylady
(Carpal Tunnel)
11/16/08 03:42 PM
Re: Switch Profiles & Item Specs disappear new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

How are you doing girl! Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you are fine..

Anyway, Item specifics and profiles. Most likely what has happened to cause it is there has been an Item specific/category update released by eBay in between when you first defined the Item specifics and changing profiles. If that happens, the Item specifics will go blank when you change profiles.

If you want the Item specifics to remain intact when changing profiles, you must define them on the related Inventory Item. If you do not use Inventory Items, there isn't anything ---for lack of better terminology--- back behind the Auction lot for AW2K to look to. So if there are any changes at all, the Item specific fields go back to blank. I hope that makes sense.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store
Visit our website too!
http://www.pennyworthsales.com

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
11/16/08 04:34 PM
Re: Switch Profiles & Item Specs disappear new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Judy,

In reply to:

How are you doing girl! Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you are fine..

Yup, I'm fine. Thanks for asking. Just busy with a project or two or three......

In reply to:

Anyway, Item specifics and profiles. Most likely what has happened to cause it is there has been an Item specific/category update released by eBay in between when you first defined the Item specifics and changing profiles.

In other instances, your explanation might have applied. This has happened many times before, sometimes right before my eyes when I happened to have the Item Specifics tab open and I changed to another Profile. But in this case, I'm absolutely certain it wasn't due to a Category Update. This was a never-listed Lot for which I hadn't yet selected a Category (had created the Lot and only written Title and added pics), and before opening AW this morning, I got prompted to update the Categories, which I did. So this can't be the explanation for today's disappearing Item Specs......unless eBay actually made more changes in the last few hours. Ok, going off to check for program updates.....Nope, I'm running the latest version.

In reply to:

If you want the Item specifics to remain intact when changing profiles, you must define them on the related Inventory Item. If you do not use Inventory Items, there isn't anything ---for lack of better terminology--- back behind the Auction lot for AW2K to look to. So if there are any changes at all, the Item specific fields go back to blank. I hope that makes sense.

I'm not using Inventory Items, and sorry, but I'm not clear on what you mean. So if the Category list is up to date, and I'm not using Inventory Items, the Item Specifics will go blank whenever I change the Profile? I know I could avoid this problem if I just selected the Profile before choosing the Specifics, but sometimes I make that decision at the last minute -- I start out thinking auction item, write the description, give the pics a good look, consider my price, research similar items on eBay, and bingo, decide it's got to be a Store item. It's just frustrating after selecting maybe a dozen (often silly/stupid/lame-o/misspelled) Specifics to see them all go poof!

Sue

P.S. How are you doing? Are you ready for the holidays? Yikes! I blinked and summer was gone.

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
11/16/08 05:43 PM

Just wanted to add that they don't always disappear even though my items aren't Inventory items. Just now, I changed Profiles for a Stores relist while I had the Item Specifics tab open, and I watched the Specifics sort of roll......flicker a couple times and reappear exactly as they were when I originally selected them. This Lot's been listed 7 times in the last two years (aaarrrghhhh), and it's currently in this category: Collectibles: Holiday & Seasonal: Christmas:Modern (1946-90): Santa Figures.

Do you think it's possible eBay hasn't changed this Category in over two years?

Sue

bluepennylady
(Carpal Tunnel)
11/16/08 08:36 PM

Sue,

I am doing real fine... Been super busy and tonight, well I'll have to admit,, I think I am just dog tired Hope to get a second wind here shorlty

Item specifics need to be defined for each site, (eBay or eBay store) and change according to the category. The category must be selected before any Item specifics are available to complete.

what I meant about the Inventory Items is when you use Inventory Items for each product and complete all the fields in the Inventory Items,when you create an Auction lot, AW2K "looks" at all the inventory Items fields and "copies" those fields to the Auction lot.

I'll double check with Thom about the Item specifics "disappearing" when there is a category/Item Specific update. Just to clarify. I know if there are category and Item Specific updates even if the changes are ever so slight, the category field as well as the related Items specifics can and do go blank when changing profiles.

I'll check with Thom about the AWOL Item specifics and get back with you....

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
Visit our website too!

bluepennylady
(Carpal Tunnel)
11/17/08 02:46 PM

Sue,

I am unable to re-create the issue you have described. And I have tried every setting I can think of. I know something is going on in your database but I can't determine exactly what it is because I can't re-create it.

My item specifics do not disappear (go blank) when changing profiles UNLESS there has been a category/Item specifics update prior to changing profiles. If the category on the Auction lot was affected by the update, meaning the category number changed OR eBay added/deducted Item specifics, when changing Auction profiles, the Item specifics will go blank. All eBay has to do is change the spelling of one Item Specific word and it is considered a change.

Or maybe I should say, misspell a word. Doesn't that just drive you up the wall!!! All the misspelled words eBay sends out for Item Specifics!!!.

So here's an idea or two to watch for the next few days. Start checking to see if the category has changed prior to you changing the profile. Keep tabs and let me know how it goes.

I am doing okie dokie. Busier than a cat on a hot tin roof. I am fairly certain I am a full two inches shorter and 5 pounds lighter, like I need to lose weight. but we have been literally running our legs off here. Very busy..

And Nope not even close to being ready for the holidays. We have been re-modeling the inside of our home all summer long,,, literally. But with these work hours I am keeping, I haven't got time to finish painting up high. I am glad my middle sister is doing Thanksgiving at her house this year... Yeah! I love my sissy

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
Visit our website too!

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
11/18/08 10:56 PM

It happened again tonight. I have the most current version of AW (checked again right after seeing the Item Specifics go blank). This was a new Lot in Category: Art: Art from Dealers & Resellers: Prints (this category doesn't invite you to Add New Value, so it's all just the existing ones). I selected the Item Specifics while in my Auction Profile, then decided to switch to my Store Profile, and the Specifics all went missing as I was watching.

So just now, I changed that Lot's Status from On Line to Never Listed and then changed the Profile back to my Auction Profile -- the Specifics did not go blank. I changed back to my Stores Profile. The Specifics remained.

I may be old and tired, but I'm not loony. I assure you the Item Specifics went blank before my eyes the first time I switched Profiles prior to listing this Lot.

So I created a new test Lot in my Auction Profile and selected exactly the same category and Item Specifics and even the same Additional Fields, etc., and then........the suspense builds........I changed to my Stores Profile.......and.................................................THE ITEM SPECIFICS WENT BLANK!!

Ok, then I deleted that first test Lot and did exactly the same thing again with a new test Lot, but this time, just before switching Profiles, I hit the checkmark (to save) and this time, they DIDN'T GO MISSING. So that's the key. Pretty simple. Hit the checkmark to SAVE before switching to a different Profile. Now, if I can just remember to do that.

bluepennylady
(Carpal Tunnel)
11/19/08 07:57 AM

Sue,

I did not mean to insinuate or leave you thinking you were not seeing the Item Specifics disappear. I am so sorry. I totally believe you. I just could not reproduce the issue on my system until yesterday And it hit me what the problem was.

I started going through the process I used and writing down each step I took. I was going to contact you but you have already got the answer. Hit "Post Changes". Post Changes is the same as the "Save" tool in Word, Excel or anything else. If you type something in Excel and do not save your work, ignore the little paperclip man pecking on the monitor telling you to Save and close it, all the work is gone. Same thing

I was just working away and it hit me what was going on. So I was going to post late last night but well I sort of didn't feel so hot, and went to bed early and overslept this morning I know bad dog no biscuit.. And didn't get it done.

I am really glad you figured it out.. That is great. And I am super sorry I didn't get back to you ASAP after I figured out the same thing

Onward and upward to selling more!!!

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
Visit our website too!

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
11/19/08 12:48 PM

No, no, no, no, Judy, I didn't think you were insinuating anything. It's just that there are so many things that occur on your computer that are mysterious and not reproducible by others or even by yourself. It's like taking your car in and it immediately stops making the screeching noise, and the mechanics think, "Ok, let's just humor the old fogy."

I was pleased to be able to recreate the situation of the disappearing Item Specifics. I hadn't realized they needed to be saved before switching Profiles. It's good to know that it's not some program glitch or a problem with my database.

As always, thanks for your help and camaraderie.

Sue

bluepennylady
(Carpal Tunnel)
11/19/08 01:02 PM

Sue,

I am glad I didn't come off as insinuating the issue was not occurring. The only reason it hit me what was happening was I started recording every step I took out of habit when moving items between Profiles. And it hit me,, duh, you bonehead Judy, you are clicking Post Changes/Save".. So I tried it without using Post Changes/Save and sure enough the Item Specifics did not copy to the new Profile.

Now we know what it is and how to correct it

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
Visit our website too!

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads