Configuration
   >> Auction Profiles
Thread views: 18013 *Threaded Mode

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
11/13/06 02:42 PM
Share AW on non-networked pcs?  

Hi all,

Is there a way to share one example of the program -- one license -- with a partner whose computer is a mere 50 feet away, but who wants their own separate database of eBay transactions. This other person would have a separate eBay user ID and would use a different Auction Profile, but we are hoping we can share the same program. I suppose we would have to copy every update/new version from my pc to a CD and then load it into the other pc, but would the other database get smoothly integrated each time?

I apologize if I'm asking this all wrong and using the wrong terminology.

I guess this is kinda like where a husband and wife/partners living together are both selling on eBay with different user IDs but wish to keep their databases of transactions/emails separate and don't want to or cannot network their computers. Is this setup totally verboten? Or even just frowned upon? Will I get my hand slapped for even asking?

Thanks, Sue

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/13/06 03:21 PM
Re: Share AW on non-networked pcs? new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

No you won't get into trouble asking. I have had numerous people ask me the same question in the same situation. And in short the answer is no. Two databases will not integrate together. One will overwrite the other. And AW2000 must be licensed on each computer or workstation that you use it on.

You can however, in a single copy of AW2000 keep the transaction separate by simply configuring an Auction profile and a totally different email account for the partner. The Ledger will not be separate. But you can change the settings for generating Invoices to Not combine winning auctions from different profiles onto a single invoice.

And of course, the Inventory Items can be entered into the same Inventory Items tab but just create Auction lots for the individual separate Auction profiles.

The Auction Wizard licensing agreement in the Help file outlines the licensing requirements. Check the Grant of License for particulars concerning licensing.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
11/13/06 10:00 PM
Re: Share AW on non-networked pcs? new [re: bluepennylady]  

Well, that's kinda what I figured, but I also thought there was a sort of marital exemption .

I read all your informative answers to the member who wanted to have a separate copy on his laptop, so I had already realized we can't slide in alternate databases.

Ok, so we'll share on the same computer, using different Auction Profiles. Not a problem.

You know what would make this all work better is if each Auction Profile could have its own list of email templates and its own list of auction templates. I know we can configure separate templates -- what I mean is, it would be easier if we could also drop down a list specific to each Profile. Does that make sense?

Thanks, Sue

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/14/06 05:05 AM

Sue,

Another drop down list would be nice. You know, you might consider using the email template manager and grouping each Auction profiles email templates together by using the "Move up or "Move Down" buttons. Then at least in the drop down menu all the emails belonging to a particular Auction profile are in the same grouping.

Good luck with your new partner

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
11/14/06 11:40 AM
Re: Share AW on non-networked pcs? new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Judy,

Yes, I do that already. Not only are they grouped for the two Profiles I use, but they also have a "nickname" of the Profile in front of the name of the Template, and I also add faux-Templates which are named ======= or ####### to act as dividers between sections of real Templates. It would still be nice to be able to select a Template from a list that is already filtered for a particular Profile.

Sue

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/14/06 12:39 PM

Sue

Email Thom with the suggestion!

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
11/14/06 06:46 PM

Sue:
Another thing you could do is for each template that is yours do something like:
Sue -- Blue template
Sue -- Red Temlate
Sue -- Template name etc etc etc
and then
Name -- Blue Template
Name -- Red Template
etc. etc.

I know this isn't so elagant but it would be a quick way to know you're getting the correct template right away. And of course you can use the Template Manager to move them around as you know. But then they would be in some kind of order by name.

Just a suggestion. But Judy has a great idea -- Email Thom with your suggestion. It is a great idea and he just may very well enter it into an update along the line.

It would be helpful for each profile to have a separate list of templates and if you wanted a particular template on all profiles it would be a simple matter of copying it over to the profile.

Garry

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
11/14/06 09:24 PM
Thom's reply re Share AW on non-networked pcs? new [re: bluepennylady]  

Thom replied:

"Thank you for your suggestion. It has been added to our suggestion list.

If you have more suggestions, or any questions, please let me know."

So now we wait............

Sue

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/15/06 08:27 PM
Re: Thom's reply re Share AW on non-networked pcs? new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

You just never know what that man will do with a suggestion though. He'll mull it over. Look at it, Then think about it again. Then another brainstorm possibility will pop into his mind that expands the suggestion you sent in and low and behold, we have a really cool feature all because of your suggestion.

Great Work just takes time/

Judy/blue

*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads