Configuration
   >> Miscellaneous
Thread views: 9712 *Threaded Mode

dperkyone
(Unregistered)
01/03/04 08:36 AM
Networking - 2 minute load time over network  

I just setup AW2k to work over the network.

The server is a 1700 MHZ Athlon XP with 512mb ram and an 80GB 7200 rpm drive running XP pro. Client is a 500 mhz Pentium III with 256MB ram and 14gb harddrive running windows 98.

The problem I have is that the client takes over 2 minutes to load AW2K. Once the program is loaded it seems to run just fine. I have setup the BDE correctly on both computers. I have also removed the network settings on the client to see if it would load faster. It loaded within 5 seconds that way. Back on the network and it took over 2 minutes again.

I'm not sure what else to check.

Dennis

Tradeguy
(member)
01/03/04 09:17 AM
Re: Networking - 2 minute load time over network new [re: dperkyone]  

I have a network with 2 Win98, win2K, and winxp pc's and for some reason the Win XP machine (a 1.2gz pc) is a total dog on the network. I can move files at least 4x faster between my much older pcs on non-XP pc's. A friend of mine is a network support tech and he's seen similar issues between non-XP and XP pc's. It looks to me like a protocol or security issue - the physical speed is the same, so it must be retransmits or additional overhead. We've gone over the configuration many times and nothing seems to help. However, when we attach his laptop (running XP) to my net, he can communicate just fine with the XP PC - faster than any of my old pc's. But when he tried my older PC's, it was much slower, and he actually had a couple of transmit errors. At least in my case the problem seems to be related to mixed MS OS's.

Rich (ex-pre-XP network engineer)

dperkyone
(Unregistered)
01/04/04 00:03 AM
Re: Networking - 2 minute load time over network new [re: Tradeguy]  

Well, after posting I decided to make the Win98 the server and the XP machine the client. Works fine that way. Go figure. Probably better to have the data local to the slower machine anyway.

Thanks for the input though.

Dennis

Margerald
(Unregistered)
02/02/04 12:15 PM

Can you tell me how to network this program on two wireless XP machine?

AuctionWizardAdministrator
(Auction Wizard Team)
02/23/04 12:28 PM
Re: Networking - 2 minute load time over network new [re: Margerald]  

The instructions for configuring Auction Wizard 2000 for network use can be found in the help file. Look for "Networking Auction Wizard 2000" in the help index.

-- The Auction Wizard Team

Trades
(stranger )
09/27/04 11:40 AM

Win2K (which is the base for XP) has some networking optimization options that can affect how the system deals with traffic. You can specify the "server" to maximize local, network, balance the processing of all traffic including processing time, OR minimize the time & memory allocated.

Additionally there are a number of security and other options that seriously affect traffic flow. Not to mention the possible network card, router, hardware and software settings that can affect things. For example I have a 100Mbps network, however one card is a built in NIC and if set to 100Mbps it brings down the network so it MUST be set to 10Mbps.

If the network is local (no routers, bridges etc) you can also try using NetBEUI which is significantly faster due to lower overhead. In theory(!) you can prioritize the use of NetBEUI for local communication, however you may experience delays in outside communications as windows attemps to figure out which protocol will travel outside the local network to the requested destination.

Allan
Technicolor Trades
www.technicolortrades.com
eBay ID: technicolor_trades

*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads