Configuration
   >> Miscellaneous
Thread views: 10319 *Threaded Mode

DEALS2000
(stranger )
05/12/06 12:03 PM
Cable conection or DSL  

I'm planning on getting a cable connection or DSL. Currently I store my images on the server provided with my ATT internet account.

Could someone explain what I will need to be aware of if I use cable or DSL. Will AW2k work with cable and or DSL?
Etc..

Thanks
Steve

bluepennylady
(stranger )
05/12/06 12:28 PM
Re: Cable conection or DSL new [re: DEALS2000]  

Steve,

Yes AW2K will work quite well with DSL or Cable. I have been using DSL with Aw2K for several years and just switched to fiber optic yesterday. (YEAH!!)

You will notice a significant change in terms of speed over dial-up connection. I would highly recommend that you invest in a router. Linksys, D-Links, Belkin all make easy to hook up routers. My personal preference is Linksys or Belkin. I own one of each. Be sure the router you choose has NAT capabilities (Network Address Translator).

Putting a router between you and the Internet offers additional security as the router assigns the IP addresses to your computer(s) making it much more difficult for hackers or intrusions into you computer. Coupled with enabling the Windows firewall you will be in pretty good shape.

If you need more help, just holler (well maybe emailing or posting might work better :o)

blue/Judy

Ned
(stranger )
05/14/06 09:22 AM
Re: Cable conection or DSL new [re: bluepennylady]  

The DSL deals offered here (California) always include the DSL "modem" and typically include a router (including wireless capability). Some DSL providers send you a single unit with all these functions. I'd expect cable broadband offerings to be similar.

Network Address Translation is I think standard on _any_ router currently offered.

Find out what your provider provides first. I chose to upgrade our wireless router for higher speed and greater range, but only after I tried what they sent.

I agree with bluepennylady--you'll notice a huge increase in speed moving from dialup to any kind of broadband. And that translates to an increase in your productivity.

Ned

bluepennylady
(stranger )
05/14/06 10:45 AM
Re: Cable conection or DSL new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

Your ISP really provides you with both the modem and the router!!!??? Now that is cool. Here in Kansas the only thing provided to us is the DSL line. I have to buy the modem either from the phone company or some where else and I have to buy the router. The phone company does not even offer routers. Of course, that is what happens when you live in "Mayberry RFD" :o)

blue/Judy

Ned
(stranger )
05/14/06 12:23 PM
Re: Cable conection or DSL new [re: bluepennylady]  

I'd really rather have just the wire. When ISPs supply a big package, they also supply an installation disk that puts all kinds of stuff on your PC, and tries to lock you in to them, kinda like AOL. With Verizon you didn't need their installer if you knew what you you were doing, and could avoid much of the junk. My daughter's on SBCGlobal, and that's a different (and less pleasant) story.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary. Both ISPs may have different policies and packages, heck, different infrastructures, in different places.

Does "blue/Judy" indicate a different mood from "Judy/blue" ? :-)

Ned

bluepennylady
(stranger )
05/14/06 12:35 PM
Re: Cable conection or DSL new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

I am on Sprint DSL at my resident and fiber optic through my local phone company at my business. Sprint "provides" (at a nice price) the DSL modem. My local phone company sells the DSL modem to the customer at cost as a courteous.

Sprint did not send a disk. The tech support will correct an issues if a user runs into a snag setting up the equipment.

Hummm, different mood :o) Nope was in a hurry to finish lunch for my mom and the family. Somehow I end up being the primary cook for Mother's Day feast. Maybe I am blue/Judy today after looking at all these dishes :o)

blue/Judy

DEALS2000
(stranger )
05/15/06 09:40 AM
Re: Cable conection or DSL new [re: DEALS2000]  

Thanks for your help!

*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads