Configuration
   >> Miscellaneous
Thread views: 9242 *Threaded Mode

leeflang
(stranger )
05/23/06 07:27 AM
how to speed up performance networked db  

How can I speed up the performance of using AW2K when the database is networked via the shared drive? As soon as more than one PC accesses the AW2K database, performance slows down significantly, lowering productivity..

Peter

AuctionWizardAdministrator
(Auction Wizard Team)
05/23/06 12:39 PM
Re: how to speed up performance networked db new [re: leeflang]  

Make sure you have optimized the database engine on all computers. Instructions can be found in the help file. Look for "Optimizing the Database Engine" in the help index.

If you have anti virus software installed on the computer acting as the server, configure it so that it does not actively scan any files in the shared database folder when they are accessed. If you anti virus software scans the database files each time they are accessed, the program will slow down significantly.

Additional tips can be found in the help file under "Networking Auction Wizard 2000" in the help index. Scroll down to the section titled "Server Tips".

-- The Auction Wizard Team

bluepennylady
(stranger )
05/25/06 06:51 PM
Re: how to speed up performance networked db new [re: AuctionWizard]  

Hi,

I am really glad you posted about the slow database performance as I experienced the same problem when I added several computers to my network. My network currently contains 7 computers including the server.

Optimizing the database engine is a real must. I tried running a computer without optimizing the database engine just to see what would happen (don't tell Thom :o) It didn't work out very well. Every single anti virus software program I tried adversely affected the database performance on the server. Norton Anti-virus was the worse though. McAfee wasn't too bad. Nor was AVG. Trends worked out okay.

There are a couple of other things that I did that really increased performance. That is after upgrading the server :o)

The workstations have been changed out for machines built with ASUS A8N-E motherboard and Athalon AMD 64 3200 San Diego processor with 1GB of memory, 150 GB hard drive. Those machines are fast. Almost instant. Punch a button and you are there. No hesitation while the windows draw. Listing, updating or updating the AW2K generated websites is fast. The machines left in the network that are not yet upgraded are just dogs now compared to the new machines.

The other thing that made a big difference was to install a Linksys Gigabit full duplex unmanaged switch. And made sure all machines had Gigabit cards as well. The switch in conjunction with the upgraded server and workstations has made a huge difference in the database performance.

Judy/bluepennylady

Ned
(stranger )
05/28/06 12:22 PM
Re: how to speed up performance networked db new [re: bluepennylady]  

<i>The other thing that made a big difference was to install a Linksys Gigabit full duplex unmanaged switch. And made sure all machines had Gigabit cards as well.</i>

Good advice, Judy. I just want to explain "unmanaged" for the benefit of our readers.

Running Gigabit speeds throughout your local network would certainly help if you've got as many machines as Judy's got. If you're just running one as server and a laptop, it won't improve things nearly as much. Thom's tuning tips will help in all situations.

"unmanaged": Corporate-grade switches can be configured to build walls (of varying heights) between varous parts of the company. They can also be set up to give some connections priority, or to disallow certain kinds of communication on certain connections. The switches themselves can be programmed to do this. This programmability is what makes a switch a "managed" switch.

Very likely most of us AW2000 users don't have an organization big enough that we <i>need</i> managed switches, so something like Judy's choice of switch would be the way to go.

bluepennylady
(newbie)
05/28/06 01:59 PM
Re: how to speed up performance networked db new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

Thanks for taking the time to explain the difference. I am so glad you are around here :o) That will really help others determine what they may or may not need in their own network.

blue/Judy :o)

*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads