Configuration
   >> Miscellaneous
Thread views: 53779 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
AquilaStamps
(stranger )
06/30/06 02:24 PM
Re: Counters sorta solved new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:
I didn't post anything - I was only commenting on the eBay reply that if I wanted to use their new counter I should post on a site other than a US site. Sorry that I didn't make that comment clear.

Also I of course realized that Thom couldn't fix something that wasn't broken. I was wondering to myself as I was typing (and didn't type all that I was wondering) if he would wait until he switches to the API or if he would go through all of the work necessary to change that one thing related to counters. 'Cause actually even after the great breakup Andale counters will still work all anyone has to do is agree to their new EULA.

I still wonder though just how important counters really are. It's strange but some days I find them helpful at the end of auction and the other times I have to admit I don't even look at them. I guess counters could be more helpful if I followed your suggestion earlier on in this thread - a counter that gives you a LOT more info.

Garry (AquilaStamps)

bluepennylady
(journeyman)
06/30/06 02:32 PM
Re: Counters sorta solved new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

I am sorry my response sounded rude. I did not intend for it to be. I apologize.

Thom said he didn't have any idea how the change would affect AW2000. I asked him about it. He said he wouldn't know until we all started listing after the changes were made.

I think you are right. Andale really won't be broken, But I won't be using them.

My guess is, Thom will fix it after the API conversion as I think that is probably number 1 right now.

As far as how important the counters are, I honestly don't know. I find information about search words, IP addresses, hit times, category searches more useful than how many times my item has been looked at. I may be way off but that is how I look at it.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(stranger )
06/30/06 11:13 PM

Judy:
Please, don't think I took anything you said as rude. Far from it, you have been cheerful, and helpful, and insightful through this whole thread. My reply, after looking back at it, seems to read i guess as if I may have thought it rude. However, I didn't take it that way and if you though so I apologize. Sometimes, my words are too short and I don't always convey the tone I really should. So not to worry, my friend. All's good!

Garry (AquilaStamps)

bluepennylady
(journeyman)
07/01/06 00:13 AM

No worries. Have a super 4th! I'm off to my husband's family reunion. Yikes! His family is HUGE. Even after 32 years of marriage, they still overwhelm me. There are just so many of them it looks like a convention when they are all together.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(stranger )
07/01/06 06:52 AM

Have fun at the reunion! Our family reunions were always viewed as a dress rehearsal for a horror movie. There were so many people - and half or more were strangers that it was truly not a fun time. Most spent their time at the reunion trying to think up a graceful way to flee. Have a great time and thanks.

Garry (AquilaStamps)

bluepennylady
(journeyman)
07/01/06 06:57 AM

[quote]spent their time at the reunion trying to think up a graceful way to flee[quote]

That's me!! My husband LOVES the huge crowd of people. My family is very small. The first time he took me to meet his family the year we got married, I about turned tail and ran. People all over the place. It was and is an un-nerving experience. Probably because they all expect me to remember who they are and how we are related. Like that is going to happen.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(journeyman)
07/19/06 03:55 PM

Garry,

I guess the counter changes did not cause any problems. But I have a question. The counters are appearing in my Auctions and I did not sign any of Andale's stuff. So I wonder how in the world the counters are still appearing.

Some of the counters are located at the bottom as before. On some of my listings, the counters appear not only directly below but in the upper portion directly under the eBay title line.

Some of the counters state Andale Free counters. Some state AOL and Ebay working together. Quite the deal. It would stand to reason it has something to do with the time frame in which the auctions were submitted.

I received the letter from Andale concerning the changes, etc. But I sure didn't check that little check box to change anything.

Anyone else still finding the Andale counters inserted into your auctions?

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(stranger )
07/24/06 12:48 PM

Judy:
Sorry I'm late with a reply. Have been away on a buying trip and even though they are necessary they become time thieves also. The trip was a success but when I get back home the days seem to have all compressed into a blur and then there is the processing of all the material. Anyway, enough excuses. I had received an email from eBay about the counters a while back. They told me that even though a seller requested an andale FREE counter they would slowly replaced by the eBay only counter. They also told me that there was going to be a joint venture between AOL and eBay. I guess that because AOL has been bleeding membership and eBay has been driving people away with all of their new charges there was a need to huddle together for protection. I'm not sure how they expect to gain anything this way; however, I see something down the road - that will probably be a joint venture between the two companies on security. Currently all of the Phishing stuff goes to spoof(don't use this)@ebay.com - I wonder if it will be directed to some kind of AOL program in the future. It doesn't make sense to me to combine these two companies. IMHO getting into bed with AOL has to place eBay in a more uncomfortable position than where they were with Andale. The other thing that I see is that working with AOL means that eBay doesn't have to develop any kind of security software and/or spoofing sniffers. They only have their toolbar that has account guard. Time will tell - but I feel that this has all come in under the radar by the counters. I'm not really THAT paranoid but it sure seems very unusual.

The old Andale counters are still on some of my GTC store items but all of the auction items were either changed or the new counter has been automatically placed in it. There doesn't seem to be any pattern on the replacement of Store items counters though. All replaced counters have the double counters though - at the top in the first part of the auction and then at the bottom below the photo that was used for the thumbnail.

This "freebie" doesn't do anything to me though. It just is another counter and it appears that you can't opt out. I noticed some auctions that I submitted with the counter selection UNchecked still resulted in a counter. What worries me more is the wonderful new fee structure in stores. That is going to be a deal breaker for some people. I know for me it has caused me to take a good long hard look at store items. I haven't closed my store as others have but I'm going to probably limit a lot of what goes in there now.

Garry

bluepennylady
(journeyman)
07/24/06 01:05 PM
Re: Counters sorta solved [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

I am glad you are back safe and sound. And that the buying trip was successful. My husband has been on the road buying quite a bit lately. Gone more than he is home right now. But that is usual for this time of year. Anymore semi trucks back up to the warehouse, though, and we are going to have to store product on top of the building instead of inside. I am simply out of room.

Boy do I hear you on time. I wish I could invent more hours in the day. But then I would need a body that could work them. I can't get my body to work 20 hour days anymore :o)

Thanks for sharing eBay's response. I am in agreement with you. This is all tooooo strange.

The eBay Store fees have helped us make a decision about the direction our business will take. We were making changes anyway, but the fees have moved the changes forward and faster. I won't quite be ready by August 22nd. But I will be a long way down the road.

I am really looking forward to the Overstock Outlet stores. They have been in the works for several months now. I suspect the development techs have the pressure on right about now to get the Outlet Stores ready for BETA testing since eBay released the increased Store fees.

What is really wierd is my Power Seller account manager called me here at work the day after the fee increase announcement was made. Wanting to know how the fee increase would affect me. If I was considering closing my eBay Store. And if I was to be sure and contact them first so they could help me "work something out" before I closed my Store. I just wonder what there is to work out. Or how in the world eBay thinks they can add the dollars back to my bottom line. The fee increase is ridiculous.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(journeyman)
07/27/06 02:04 AM
Where do we view them? [re: AquilaStamps]  

I listed some things tonight after not listing for a couple weeks. I see that I've got eBay's hidden counters. I can view the number of visits by looking at each auction, but is there a place to see all results on one page? Seems like there should be a column we could add to the Selling display (Customize Items I'm Selling: Columns to Display), but I don't see that option. Probably something eBay will try to charge us for......

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads