Configuration
   >> Miscellaneous
Thread views: 53745 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
AquilaStamps
(stranger )
06/28/06 09:27 PM
Counters new  

I know this is probably a foolish question - it's about counters. I'm not really sure if counters are necessary on auction pages; however, they do help me in deciding pricing on a relist. If the count was high and no bids then I've done something wrong. I currently use the Andale free counters that result in an occasional, sometimes, maybe, sorta almost having a counter on the auction page. Not casting stones here just reporting on the very occasional way that the counters are posted. Now that eBay is no longer in agreement with Andale for counters I started checking around. The current agreement ends at the end of June 2005. Well, surprise surprise, surprise Sgt. Carter - eBay has its own counter system. Hmmm, wonder why they closed the relationship with Andale? So I next checked my Andale page and find that I now need to sign yet another agreement with them so that they can automaticaly attach a counter to my page. The EULA that Andale has you agree to is close to the scarey range. It appears as if they will data mine as they put up counters. So now down to my question. How do I, in AW2000, elect to use the eBay counters? In AW2000 on the additional options tab to the right of the List Auction page there is a check box for Counters. However, the choices are only - Andale, Green LED, and Hidden. Anyone have any suggestions? I suppose I could go into each and every auction page and revise it - but that's not gonna happen anytime real soon. Will it take Thom and his team to make that change in AW2000? Or do I just forget it altogether? What do the rest of you do about counters? Are they useful to you? Or are they just something that clutters up the auction page? Thanks for the help. Maybe we can get a consensus on counters. Garry - AquilaStamps

bluepennylady
(journeyman)
06/29/06 00:10 AM
Re: Counters new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

Well now, if that doesn't have the world shut down. And I noticed there isn't exactly an announcement on eBay anywhere concerning the non-renewal of contract. But it looks as if the non-renewal is on Andale's side?

Where did you find the information concerning the data mining?? I mean, that sounds just about right. I just did not find it right off the bat.

This is probably a really stupid question. eBay provides counters?? I clicked through the SYI form and revise your Item. The only counter options offered were Andale? Am I looking in the wrong place??

You asked if the counters just clutter up the page. Frankly, I quit looking at Andale a long time ago. Sellathon provides much better statistics and is easier to use. but Sellathon is not free on eBay. It is on Overstock. When Sellathon first offered the O-Tracker at Overstock, they also offered a free 30 day trial for eBay as well. Which I participated in. During that 30 day trial, the information provided was simply better than Andale. And since the information in terms of search words, hits, IP addresses, etc was almost identical to Overstock, I elected to stop using Sellathon on eBay. Considering the Andale changes, I may change my mind :o)

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(journeyman)
06/29/06 03:03 AM
Re: Counters new [re: bluepennylady]  

When I deleted cookies recently, then logged into Andale to check my counters, I got the message Garry mentions. I didn't read it thoroughly, but whatever it said made me say NO THANKS. I'll just let the counters expire, I guess. Before I had an eBay Store, I checked my auction counters a couple times a day. Now that I have a few hundred items in a Store as well as two or three dozen auctions, I just don't bother looking at the counters any more (have only ever used the free counters). Frankly, I put more stock in the items people have added to their Watch folders (the numbers you see in My eBay).

I suppose Thom will come up with something. Are the eBay counters free? Seems to me everything offered by eBay eventually becomes fee-based.

As to concluding you've "done something wrong" in an auction that gets few hits -- maybe, but it's been my experience that chance or luck plays a huge roll in whether an auction gets bids. One month, it'll get zero bids; two months later, people are fighting over it.

tictictic

bluepennylady
(journeyman)
06/29/06 06:07 AM
Re: Counters new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

tictictic,

I want to know where to look for the eBay counters? I agree, nothing at eBay will remain free, never has. I have looked all over the place. I am unable to locate any information concerning an eBay counter. The Sell Your Item form only displays options provided by Andale. eBay's Help supplies information about Andale counters.

Where did you find the eBay counters?

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(stranger )
06/29/06 07:05 AM

Judy: I found the "data-mining" in a veiled reference on the Andale EULA and Terms of Use that they want you to just sort of slide through when you resign up. After June they will just go into the page and insert the counter. Under the old system you had to give them permission through eBay to do so. However, now that permission has expired and it is necessary to do so again. I had no intention of doing so but clicked on through - and lo and behold on the eBay page where you give permission is a very ominous warning at the top of the page - something like are you sure you read the terms from Andale. You should do so before continuing. So between the very long legalistic document Andal wants agreement to and eBay's warning I just closed out the page and then came here and asked the question. Here is a cut and paste from their "agreement"

5.6 By using the Services, you authorize ANDALE to access Third-Party Marketplaces with which you have usage agreements, on your behalf, to retrieve and post information and materials necessary to provide the Services to you, and you hereby appoint ANDALE as your agent for this limited purpose. You hereby permit ANDALE to use such retrieved information and materials to accomplish the foregoing, and to communicate with your customers on your behalf. You hereby acknowledge that our Services may or may not provide all the information and functionality that you could obtain directly from the Marketplaces.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

I wonder what they want to tell our customers?

Garry (AquilaStamps)

AquilaStamps
(stranger )
06/29/06 07:17 AM
Re: Counters new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

TicTicTic: I too look at the watched numbers. That is also a great way to see what's happening. Because I'm only selling Stamps for Collectors I thought that maybe the counter would give me a tool to see what is popular and what is BORING to the collector. But you are right. I've posted something and it ends up not being bid on or in some cases hardly even looked at. So I've left it alone and not reposted it on eBay for several months. Then all of a sudden they are fighting for it. I also think it just happens to be related to which buyer is looking at the auctions at the time they are up. A couple of days ago tried to find where the eBay counter is on their listing page and did not see it. I even tried revising an auction but no go - the only thing offered was the usual stuff such as andale etc. However, what started me on this quest was seeing an "eBay Counter" on a few pages of other auctions. For the time being I think I'm going to go without counters; at least from Andale and just see what happens. It could be that the eBay counter is a beta thing for some posters and you are most likely very prophetic in thinking it will be a chargeable service very soon. Why would I be surprised at that!

Garry (AquilaStamps)

AquilaStamps
(stranger )
06/29/06 07:24 AM

Judy: I found the counter on someone's page that I was checking out. For the life of me I can't remember which page it was. Then a few days later I saw it on a few other pages. They were all stamp related I think. I'll go through my browser history and see if I can loacate the URL.

Garry (AquilaStamps)

AquilaStamps
(stranger )
06/29/06 08:01 AM

Judy: Here is one URL that I finally found that mentions the eBay counter: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=53608&item=8824924466
I'll try to find the one that originally caught my attention. It was stamp related. This one I recall finding because it was an item that one of my customers had some connection with either as a seller or buyer. This items and a few others became the ones that were responsible for starting me on my fools errand.

Garry (AquilaStamps)

bluepennylady
(journeyman)
06/29/06 08:29 AM
Re: Counters [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

Thank you for the URL. I believe that even the "Ebay counters" are in reality Andale counters. I tried to revise an auction just to see what would display on the new SYI form. Just Andale counters were displayed.

I did see the EULA portion you have referenced. But I did not click through the process. I wonder the exact same thing about what they are telling our customers.

I do think the reference is to the fact they collect data to resell. I ran into this same thing Beta testing another Auction management program last month. The software is "free". When the developer of this "free" software was asked about how revenue was generated to keep his company afloat, he responded "I have unconventional methods of generating revenue." Reading through the User agreement of the "free" software is a similar statement. Meaning all of his users information is collected and then sold for marketing. It looks like to me, Andale is doing the same thing as I read through the User agreement. Or that is how I read it anyway.

I am like you, I will do without the Andale counters. Don't use them anyway. I think I will contact Sellathon again should I need to see that type of data again.

In the meantime, I will just use the O-Tracker at Overstock for that type of information :O) Like it better anyway.

Garry, are you selling at Overstock??

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(journeyman)
06/29/06 11:36 AM
Re: Counters [re: AquilaStamps]  

I found this with a Google search, but I have no idea what it means (it's from the UK site):

***eBay Counters Update***

13 April, 2006 | 06:00PM BST

Today we have received reports from members about the eBay counters which have recently replaced the Andale counters.

Thank you to those members who alerted us. Our technical teams are already working to identify the issue and fix it.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and frustration you may be experiencing.

We will update you as soon as we have further news

Regards,
The eBay.co.uk Team

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads