Configuration
   >> Miscellaneous
Thread views: 11502 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

grumpy3b
(newbie)
08/29/06 12:09 PM
Multi-User / Networking Mode VERY Slow...  

Anyone else using aw2k in multi-user mode? I finally got around to setting us up for running aw2k across a network and on the remote machine it is gawd awful slow. Takes nearly 10 minutes to open then seems to run fine. Though I just now ran into a file locked message when the remote machine was trying to open files on the db server.

FYI, am running a fast 54mb wifi net that, until this issue, is running fine.

I do remember Thom mentioning there is a SQL Server version or was supposed to be...anyone have details about a SQL version?

bluepennylady
(member)
08/29/06 12:49 PM
Re: Multi-User / Networking Mode VERY Slow... new [re: grumpy3b]  

HI,

I run AW2K networked together wioth 8 machines all working simultaneously. Only my old computers that are slower machines run slowly. I finally upgraded the last slow computer a week ago to eliminate some network problems. System is running slicker than a whistle.

There are some things I have learned about networking lots of computers together. First, the machine used as the server needs to be big and fast with a major beefy processor. Dual core if you can spring for the money. I used an Athalon 64 FX2 with an ASUS A8Ne Motherboard. And the server runs like a champ.

The workstations that had older Pentium 4, 512mb RAM with older Motherboards, did not process information well. But the machines I upgraded the Motherboards to a ASUS A8Ne or P4V8X with a better processor work great. For the most part now, all my machines just about match as far as internal hardware, and the network runs like a champ.

Something else I discovered is to have my staff work in separate areas. Meaning, If staff are working in the Inventory Items, I assign numbers to them. If they use those Inventory Items numbers that I have added, they have to request more numbers. Eliminated all sorts of problems. Only 1 person takes care of listing on eBay. One person takes care of updating and generating Invoices, etc. Even with 3 machines listings at the same time, everything works great.

Judy/blue

grumpy3b
(newbie)
08/29/06 04:37 PM
Re: Multi-User / Networking Mode VERY Slow... new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Back,

Hardware is never an issue around here...I suspect the issue revolves around the issue of how SLOW Paradox works in a multi-user environment. One thing about pdox is it has never been known for speed...it's kinda-sorta a dog in terms of performance. But it should be fine for smaller numbers of user...in our case we are simply dealing with load speed and not application perfromance. So, the controlling factor would be opening indexes and the physical hardware layer of our network. I already know our hardware layer is as fast and need be so we are dealing with how aw2k loads the files it needs at start-up.

Also, since the issue is not present (well, not as long, maybe 2 mins to open) when running locally in single user mode it is not a platform/hardware issue. While there will be some slowdown onver out network it should not be a five fold increase. Plus my machine is also loading the same data over our net wthout the same sort of delay.

I suspect Thom is opening all of the indexes, creating cursors, workareas, etc. when aw2k loads. This is vs create/opening them on the fly. Opening/creating these files at program load is pretty much SOP for using DB programs like pdox as it improves app performance once loaded.

Thanks for the tip in terms of record creation and what seems to work best for you. Knowing that sort of stuff ahead of time is always helpful.

Likely I need to archive some records but I am loathe to do this as the whole point of a database is to keep records available at all times. Plus we are talking about a at most 3000 auction listings which is NOTHING in terms of size.

I think a thread about multi-user tips and pitfalls will be useful...can't wait to see the NEW VERSION Real-Soon-Now...but would still want to see a SQL version as an option.

bluepennylady
(member)
08/29/06 04:44 PM

Hi,

Something else that I just noticed, you are working with WiFi networking. Your network is not hard wired? We tried the WiFi here and was not real happy with the load speed. Consequently my network is hardwired. I still have WiFi capabilities but I don't use it except with my laptop.

I am running just about the same quantity of auctions as you, if you are running around 3000? I bounce around there.

I like your idea about a Multi user thread. Why don't we just go ahead and start one? There are issues to think about, that is for sure.

Judy/blue

grumpy3b
(newbie)
08/29/06 05:09 PM

sorry to read you had issues with wifi...there should be little difference in performance between hardwired and wifi for a small workgroup setup like yours. Sometimes there can be hardware conflicts you might not be aware of such as IP issues and incorrectly config'd NIC's...though some buildings with either heavy plaster walls or even metal frame walls can have problems. Another potential problem is with nearby wifi networks or even wireless 2.4ghz cordless phones. Sometimes simply changing the channel a network is set to use will make all the difference.

I would not know what to do w/o wifi as I must move around all day long and we use nothing but laptops here...I even use an old laptop as a printserver...I mean why not it's worth something that way...next week I'll setup a box to act as out fileserver so my laptop does not need to shoulder the load.

I agree about the multi-user thread because more people might begin using a networked setup...if for no other reason then to share the web connection and make data entry much more efficent...

Off to teach my better half exactly how to create a listing...gawd I am not looking forward to the "...but, whhhhyyy..." questions...because I say so it why...hehehehehe...at least I can say that here and not endup sleeping outside with the stray cats and creepy crawlies.... ;)

I'll be HAPPY to chime in on any multi-user or networking thread if I can help...though it's everyone's busy time soon so the more helpers we have the better!! Even if someone knows what worked for them it might help someone else...

bluepennylady
(member)
08/30/06 02:39 PM

HI,

I apologize for responding slowly. My silly DSL modeum at home went down. So no internet at home only at work. And work has been absolutely so busy this week I can't hardly turn around twice. Good thing. Keeps me off the street and out of trouble. Or that is the idea anyway

I have WiFi at my home. It works fine there. My business building is huge with metal studs, purlins, roofing, bar joists, Even with boosters it just doesn't work well at all. No matter what we did. So I hard wired. And it works fine for us.

Okie dokie as soon as the DSL moduem is fixed at home, I'll start a "Networking AW2K" thread. So you can jump in there 'ole time you want

Judy/blue

grumpy3b
(newbie)
09/06/06 11:39 AM

Howdy Blue,

Sorry I haven't been back either...life, DSL and everything. Plus we are really bizzy this year with our eBay selling...knock on wodd...hehehehe.

And yeah all that metal plus any walls make wifi a problem. And by the time you add the added access points/bridges/etc it can just be easier to cable everything. ;)

We have been having some DSL issues here the past month too. We are in SoCal and on the Verizon infrastructure, though we do not and would never get our DSL service through Verizon...cuz they are awful to deal with here...hehehehe...but, anyway, they are having a fair number of network issues around here so every now and then service can get flaky or worse, go down for a short while. So, I understand...suposedly we are getting a city run WiFi and fiber service. This will be GREAT should it even get done...and we have already spent like $10M on it...the WiFi is marginal at best but how cool it will be to sit at the park and work or wherever...if it ever works that is... ;)

I'll keep an eye out for the Aw2k Netowrking thread. Maybe we can get enough input to create a FAQ kinda thing to help others get the most performance outta the thing. :)

I still wanna SQL version instead...hehehehe...back to listing and packing junk to ship... :)

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/06/06 11:44 AM

HI There,

Must be in the air. I fought with my residential DSL service literally every single day last week. IT went down on Monday and was down the entire week. Had I not known our local phone company technician personally, it still would not be fixed. I am a girl so I must be totally dumb. OR that is the way the phone support treated me. By Friday I was about to rip heads off but my nice phone tech pulled the plug, pushed some buttons and got it patched for me so I could have service over the Labor Day weekend. And he fixed it permanently yesterday. I think I owe him an apple pie or something

Here at work I am on Fiber optics and have been since mid-May. Wonderful thing to have!!

As soon as we get out of the Beta testing, I'll start a thread. Right now, I understand you being busy 'cause I am so busy I can't hardly turn around twice.

Keep sellin' that stuff!!

Judy/blue

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads