Configuration
   >> Miscellaneous
Thread views: 56586 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/24/06 05:00 PM
Help!! It's stuck!  

I dragged the images window all the way over to the left and I can't drag it back! This is on the Auction Lots tab, Description and Images area. I wanted to see as many of the images for each Lot as possible (having a problem with Images and Image Archive failing to rebuild; looking to see if there's an "empty" image tab), but now the double-headed arrow won't drag the window border back. I can't see the descriptions. I've closed and reopened AW, and I've tried a variety of different things, but nothing is working. I can get the double arrow ok, and I'm being very carefull to align it with the window border, but it just won't drag it. Any ideas? Hope somebody out there is jumping in here for a break from their holiday festivities.
Thanks, Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/24/06 08:28 PM
Re: Help!! It's stuck! new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

When you say you can't get the Images table and Images archive table to rebuild, Do you mean you still have failed tables right now? Or have you managed to get those tables to rebuild but had to try several times?

Have you restarted your computer as well?

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/24/06 09:44 PM
Re: Help!! It's stuck! new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Judy.

I just did a rebuild and everything is fine -- zero tables rebuilt unsuccessfully (talk about double-negatives). I have fairly frequent issues with the Images Tables not rebuilding, but I did the scan for errors and all seems to be well now.

I have not yet restarted the computer. Will do that right now and let you know if the window border dragging problem gets solved.

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/24/06 09:51 PM

Restarting didn't help. Still can't drag the window and can't see the description box. Any other ideas? May need to write to Thom on this one.

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/25/06 04:25 AM

Sue,

Can you use the drag feature in other programs? Can you drag over the border in Outlook Express? Or some other programs that allow you to drag?

You might try as long as your mouse is a USB and not a PS1, unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in. Just to be sure you dont have a mouse issue. You might even try, if you have another mouse, changing the mouse out to see if your mouse has an issue.

Let me know if unplugging/replugging in the mouse helps.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 11:07 AM

I can use the drag function in other programs and on internet sites (minimized this page and dragged corners, etc.). No problems with the mouse. It's wireless and working fine.

I can still drag borders in AW's other windows. For example, I can drag the border between Shipping Options and Item Specifics on the Inventory Items window; I can drag to change the width of columns on the Email window; and I can drag column widths back and forth in grid view. Looks like the problem is exclusive to the Auction Lots window. Soooooo frustrating!

I feel like I should add a Do-Not-Try-This-At-Home warning. If you drag the Images window over to within a quarter-inch of the left, I think you're probably ok, but if you drag it all the way over, uh oh!

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/25/06 11:22 AM

Sue,

Has this affected all Auction lots? Or just one Auction lot? And I presume you are talking about the Auction lots tab(window) only? And not in the Inventory Items tab(window) as well?

Just for kicks, Have you tried creating a new Auction lot and seeing if a new Auction lot still has the description field hidden?

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 11:45 AM

All Auction Lots.

Yes, Auction Lots tab/window only.

Not in the Inventory Items tab/window.

Yes, I created a new Lot, and it's got the same problem -- description field hidden and border un-draggable.

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 11:52 AM

In case ya wanna peek, here's a screenshot:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/emailshere/AWHiddenDesc.jpg

Edited: Sorry, I think I messed up the way this forum displays links. Above is the URL alone.

Edited by tictictic_OnEbay on 12/25/06 12:42 PM (server time).

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/25/06 11:54 AM

Sue,

Well at least we know the issue is confined to Auction lots and not every single window

I have completely eliminated the description field in Aw2000 here and I can re-drag any divider bar back whereever I want.

Have you tried clicking through the tabs on an Auction lot, Category, Item specifics and Shipping options, etc. And dragging any dividers that are draggable over a tad and then back. Then going back to the Description and Images field and see if the divider bar will drag and drop to reveal the description field?

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/25/06 11:56 AM

Sue,

The link does not work??

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 12:39 PM

Yes, I've tried clicking through image tabs, and clicking on the various other tabs and trying to drag anything draggable. The only other tab that has draggability is Grid View, and dragging the columns works fine. Just now I made one column narrower, went back to the Description and Images tab, but I still can't drag to view the description.

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 12:43 PM

Try again. I changed the post to show just the URL.

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/25/06 01:09 PM

Sue,

From the screen shot I can't see what the Image Zoom is set at on the bottom. Have you changed anything on your computer recently?

I had this happen to me a long time ago. But honestly, I do not recall what exactly I did to correct the problem. Well more like what Thom had me do to correct the problem. I wish I could pull it up out of my memory banks.

It does seem like it was a Windows related issue. (Now don't quote me for sure) You might go ahead and do a Disk Cleanup, scan the hard drive for errors and defrag. I pulled up the microsoft technical help for the issue and that is the first steps recommended to correct it.

I am truly sorry I have not been much help. From the screen shot it looks as if you should be able to simply drag the bar back across the page to the right.

Let me know if the normal computer maintenance has any affect. At least we have really tried today.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 01:24 PM

No, haven't changed anything recently.

I've had the Zoom set at 50% for a long time. When this dragging issue began yesterday, I tried resetting the Zoom to different amounts, but it didn't solve the problem.

I'll do some more Windows maintenance, like you suggest, but it was only a couple days ago that I did the Error Check/CheckDisk, and I haven't downloaded/installed any programs since then. Haven't done a virus scan for a while, so I'll do that today, too.

You HAVE been a help today. For Pete's sake, it's Christmas Day (we bumped all our festivities up one day, so it seems like the 26th to us), and there you are brainstorming away to try to figure this nutty problem out for me. I really, really appreciate it.

I've got an email ready to go out to Thom tomorrow if the routine maintenance doesn't help. Thanks very much.

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/25/06 01:28 PM

sue,

We had out big family breakfast and then the kids and grandkids opened packages. They always stay for most the day veggin on the sofa and floor watching movies. Looks like a slumber party in my living room.

I am really sorry I cannot remember how to correct the drag problem. You know what will happen, It will come to me at midnight

Well I am off to my in-laws house for the evening party and dinner.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 08:55 PM

Sue:
I think the answer to your problem is in one of the ini files in the AW2K directory on your drive. I'm not sure but I'll check and see. Many of the program defaults that the user sets are in various ini files on the drive that way the program remembers your settings etc. It is possible that one of those ini files contains the position of the description window.

In the mean time one of the things you could try is to go to:
FILE / PROGRAM OPTIONS / GENERAL

then on that general tab you will see "WINDOWS LIST BUTTONS"

you have yours checked LEFT just for kicks check it to right and then try to move the window. What this check mark does is obviously move the aw2k function selection buttons to the right side of the screen - opposite to what you now have. That move may just give you enough room to "grab" the bar and move it open.

I will also go through all of the ini files and see if there is a setting there for the description window.

Garry

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 09:10 PM

Sue:
I think I've found the spot for you to fix the problem. If I'm talking like a pre-school teacher - forgive me but I want to make sure you can do what I think will help.

Make SURE the auction program is closed totally.

Go to windows explorer (NOT internet) and run it

Go to the drive where the program is stored

go to the directory or folder "AW2000"

click on that directory name (on the left part of the screen) until it turns blue or a color.

on the right side of the screen scroll up and or down until you find a file called: AW2000.INI

right click AW2000.INI and in the drop down menu click OPEN

now the fun begins. It should open in NotePad - or WordPad

The complete file will be there. Click on EDIT and then FIND
in the FIND WHAT box type in exactly:

[AuctionLots]

when that is found then do another FIND and search for EXACTLY:

DescrWidth=

when it finds it there should be a very small number after the equals it may even be a zero. Just put in a larger number - try 375 -- to replace the number that is there. Then SAVE the file.

you can close down explorer

now run the auction program. The window should now be open to the right and you can do what you need to do.

Hope this helps.

Garry

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 10:03 PM
Re: Help!! It's stuck! new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Excellent idea, Garry, about switching the tabs to the right side -- unfortunately, it didn't work.

I noticed that in the Inventory window, you are disabled from dragging the border between Shipping Options and Item Specifics all the way to the left. The program forces you to leave about a quarter-inch between the dividing border and the left edge of the window (or the main window tabs, if you've got them on the left like I do or will again when I move them back). I wonder if that's how the main Lots window is supposed to work, although Judy said she was able to drag the border all the way left and still drag it back.

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 10:17 PM

Well, another great idea......but.......

I followed your directions to the T. The value for that setting was 321, not what you expected, huh? I went ahead and changed it to 375, but nothing moved, and I still can't drag the window over. Very weird. I hope the solution isn't something really stupid, as in I failed to see something obvious -- my face will be very red. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Thom will say, "Eureka! it's a program glitch!" But it probably isn't.

By the way, on the Email tab of the Lots window, I can drag the border between Received and Sent up and down no problemo.

Thanks for the ideas, Garry.

Sue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 10:20 PM

Sue:

Hmmmm, that's really strange. I messed up my window on purpose and then closed out the program. Then opened up the ini file and made a change from the number there to 375.
Then saved the ini file. Then reopened aw2k and the window was back to where it was supposed to be.

Just a quick question? You did have aw2k closed when you edited the ini file right?

Garry

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 10:22 PM

Sue:

You're welcome for the ideas. Sorry they didn't work. WIsh I could be of better help but I'm stumped now. I guess it has to be Thom's input to fix this. At least there have been tons of ideas LOL too bad none really helped you out. :(

Garry

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 10:42 PM

Yes, the program was closed when I edited the file.

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/25/06 10:45 PM

I'm going to be checking my mail about every 10 min tomorrow and every day until I hear back from Thom (he could be travelling this week). I'll let you know what he says, of course.

Thanks for being there today, you guys.

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/25/06 11:03 PM

Sue.

I want to know as well. I'll file the "fix" away for future use, that is for sure. I bet you, it is the easiest thing in the world and we have danced around it all day long.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/25/06 11:55 PM

Sue,

Okay, I finally figured out how to create the "problem" . I knew if I poked long enough I could re-create it. If you move the divider lines either direction all the way over and then change to any other window and return to the Auction lots window, the divider bar is no longer draggable.

I do remember doing this a very very long time ago. Now, back to the drawing board. To try and remember how Thom had me fix it.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/26/06 00:55 AM

Yup, that is definitely what I did, because right after resizing the window, I started using the Page Up/Down keys to run through the Lots.

Will be back here soon as I hear from Thom.

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/26/06 08:31 AM

Sue,

I stayed up half the night trying to remember exactly how Thom had me correct the issue. Been far too many years ago. Isn't that just pitiful! I can't remember. It is on the very edge of my memory but I just can't pull it up. Only happened once.

Please do post the solution when you hear back from Thom. I feel like an idgit for forgetting. grrrr at myself

Hope your Christmas was really good even though I kept you tied up all day long and did not get you fixed up

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/26/06 11:37 AM
Thom to the RESCUE!!! new [re: bluepennylady]  

This is very much like what Garry had me try last night -- I'll have to compare the methods side-by-side to see what the difference is. Here's the solution:

1. Make sure AW2000 is closed.

2. Open the Windows Explorer and navigate into the "C:\Aw2000" folder.

3. Select "Tools | Folder Options..." from the menu bar.

4. When the "Folder Options" window opens, click on the "View" tab.

5. In the "Advanced settings" area locate the checkbox labeled "Hide file
extensions for known file types" and uncheck the box.

6. Click the "OK" button.

7. Find the file named "AW2000.ini" and double click on it. That will open
it in the Windows Notepad.

8. Find the line in the file that reads:

DescrWidth=0

Change the line so that it reads:

DescrWidth=100

9. Select "File | Save" from the Notepad menu bar.

10. Close the Notepad and the Windows Explorer.

Got my description box back and all is right with the world. Thanks again Judy and Garry. You are amazing! Not quite as amazing as Thom, but, well, no one's as amazing as Thom, huh?

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/26/06 11:44 AM
Re: Thom to the RESCUE!!! new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

YES!!! Thank you so much for posting. I had remembered to go to the Windows Explorer and look in the ini file. I had that silly thing open for an hour trying to remember what Thom had me do. Now I can fix mine seeing as I have the same problem trying to help you fix your problem. Now isn't that funny!!!

Well, between all of us, we just almost had it fixed.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/26/06 12:07 PM
Re: Thom to the RESCUE!!! new [re: bluepennylady]  

Yes, that's funny, in a sisterhood sort of way. It's nice to know you'll be there to duplicate my situation whenever I get myself into a quagmire. Does this pertain to automotive screw-ups and banking mishaps, too?

On a serious note (although I'm sure Thom gets tired of all this hero-worship), I cannot think of a single other program I use where you could pretty much count on a reply the day after Christmas.

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/26/06 12:12 PM
Re: Thom to the RESCUE!!! new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

Sure,,, In fact I had a truck thing this morning. The diesel would not start. I was on the verge of getting extremely irritated when Dale came to my rescue. And banking misshaps, well, just had one of those too. I have been on a roll

Dale asked my what in the world I was doing when I said "yes" at my computer last night. I told him, I just did the same thing Sue did. Now I have to figure out how to correct it. He just shook his head at me and asked why I would want to create a problem,. I never though of "sisterhood" I will remember that line

we girls must stick together you know.

And I am with you. There isn't anyone I know of that will answer inquiries the day after Christmas!

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/26/06 12:28 PM

Garry, I've studied your instructions next to Thom's instructions and I can't see any significant difference. I promise you I followed your instructions to the letter. My Windows Explorer was already set to not "Hide file
extensions for known file types", so that wasn't it. I think it had something to do with searching for [AuctionLots] first, although I don't know why exactly. I do know that there is still a line in my ini file that says DescrWidth=375, but it's in the section titled INVENTORY. If you search FIRST for just DescrWidth=, you get to that line in the AuctionLots section rather than the Inventory section.......at least I think that's what happens (using Notepad). And on further reflection, I see that using Notepad's Find function may have been the problem. Once you got me to the AuctionLots section, if I had just scrolled down to locate the DescrWidth line, it would have been the correct one to edit. However, you had me use Find again, and I think that bumped me into the Inventory section which was the OTHER of the two DescrWidth lines in the file.

Close only counts in dancing, right? LOL.

Thanks again for your help. Have a great 2007.

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/26/06 12:58 PM

Sue,

I am going to stick this one in my AW2000 file I have for fixing problems/issues.

Now to decide how to title it. "Help It is stuck" Or, "Can't move the divider" Or, "MIA description field"

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
12/26/06 02:02 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. You have to try to figure out what you will be looking for many months or even years from now. I've come to the conclusion that I have to put the operative word at the beginning of such files, I mean the name of the files. Like DRAG, border stuck or RESIZE, cannot. Funny. Eventually, we'll just be talking or whispering to our computers. We'll say, "Hey Dummy...how do I drag this damn stuck border in AW?" and the computer will flash us a half-second picture of a scowly face or the middle-finger salute and then open the right file.

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/26/06 02:06 PM

Sue,

The computer will probably holler is at us while we are looking for something to crawl under

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
12/26/06 04:30 PM

Sue:
You are more than welcome. Funny thing Is that I messed up my window the way you did. Then did the instructions I gave you and it fixed mine. The only thing that I can think of is I did a dummy somewhere when typing the directions.

All that matters though is that you're up an running and you don't have the "teeniest window for descriptions in all of AW2Kdom".

Take care and good luck with the catching up you must have to do.

Garry

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/26/06 05:30 PM

I know this much, that file is now saved to my AW2000 How to fix problems folder. Geez, how could I forget that

My description field that I purposely messed up to help Sue is now fixed as well

so we are all good to go!

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads