Configuration
   >> Miscellaneous
Thread views: 9076 *Threaded Mode

seespotrun4you
(stranger )
12/30/06 11:46 PM
Relocating AW2K's guts  

Howdy-
I have an odd question, the answer to which, I haven't found on the forum, so Miscellaneous seemed like the right place to ask.

In my setup I have all my programs on my drive C:
I put all my dynamically changable data files on my drive D:

The reason for this is for backup purposes. The programs are fairly static and so I only do an entire backup of Drive C: about once a month. Since nothing critical, or not easily re-created, changes on that Drive C: very often. Plus, the resulting backups are quite large and so it's time consuming to create.

However, I do backups of data on my entire Drive D: at least once a week, and usually more often, because that data is really dynamic and would be a mess to recreate if the computer/hard disk died.

So, I'd like have the program part of AW2K run on Drive C: and have all it's data/image files automatically recide on my Drive D for easy backups. Is there any way to set this separation up on AW2K?

I'm currently doing a manual backup of AW2K data files into a folder on my Drive D: before I do a whole backup of Drive D: onto DVDs. But that requires that I REMEMBER to manually backup AW2K data before backing up my entire Drive D:, and I'd sure like to have one less manual process to do and one less thing to remember.

So, can the AW2K program and data be put in separate drives and if so, how?

Michael

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/31/06 00:25 AM
Re: Relocating AW2K's guts new [re: seespotrun4you]  

Michael,

You can install AW2K on your D drive instead of the C drive. I have AW2K installed on the D drive of my laptop instead of the C Drive. But as far as splitting the individual files from the Aw2K directory, I am not sure that will work well. I can think of a few problems that would arise.

Email Thom and ask him about if for sure. info@auctionwizard2000.com

Judy/blue

seespotrun4you
(stranger )
12/31/06 12:44 PM
Re: Relocating AW2K's guts new [re: bluepennylady]  

Thanks, Judy, I sent Thom an email on this matter so we'll see what he says. If my only solution is to load the whole shebang on Drive D:, that will work okay. I also asked him how to move my existing program there and with the existing data still intact.

We've had two major blizzards here in Colorado, did you receive any of ourleftovers in Kansas? We had 5 feet deep drifting on our long country driveway and had to get a CAT to dig us out. 2 days stranded, but the dogs loved the fulltime company.

Am loving this program now that I finally got the hang of it and my templets set up. The next challenge will be figuring out how to set up an Ebay store. That's my 2007 project.

Happy New Year!

Michael

bluepennylady
(old hand)
12/31/06 12:54 PM

Hi,Michael.

I have to tell you. I love your name. Our youngest twin son't name is Michael, spelled exactly the same Okay enough of the mommy stuff

The files can be split onto 2 drives. On some systems it causes problems. So it is best to ask Thom about this one.

Our temps have dropped throughout today. Only rain though. There is a chance of snow later on this week. The last storm we had a few weeks ago took our big tractors to dig out. And for 1 day the only way out was the 4 wheelers. Not that the grandkids minded. They all played outside until they were froze. Then they trooped to grandma's house to unthaw in front of the fireplace. Just something about grandma's house. There must be more to eat here

I am glad you are liking AW2000. It truly is the best Auction management software out there.

If you need help with your eBay store, just holler. There are quite a few steps you can take when setting up that will help your store and store items to pull up higher in the searches.

Plus once you have an eBay store, you will want to install the Google Base Store Connector and upload your eBay Store items to Google Base,. It is free and it works.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
01/01/07 09:17 AM

MIchael,

I failed to mention something you should consider. If you are adding, deleting, loading email etc in AW2K quite a bit, you should consider backing up the database every day instead of just once a week. And rebuilding the database more frequently is also a good idea.

I backup my database every day and burn a DVD of the database at least 3 times a week. I rebuild almost every day. At least on the days that all 8 computers are working as that is a lot of data being manipulated over an 8 hours.

Thought I might mention it.

Judy/blue

*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads