General
   >> Email
Thread views: 12066 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

sofasurfer
(Unregistered)
03/08/03 09:28 PM
Email thru AW2K VS my regular mail window  

I just recieved my first response from a buyer. His letter is in my Netscape mail folder. However I now learn that I can download my mail into the AW2K mail folder and infact this is REQUIRED in order tto associate the mail with a invoice.

My problem is that even though I want my auction mail to be in my AW2K folder, I want my regular mail in my Netscape folder.

Am I missing something or is this a problem?
How can I get auction mail that is in my Netscape folder to go to my AW2K folder instead?

Tradeguy
(newbie)
03/09/03 04:10 AM
Re: Email thru AW2K VS my regular mail window new [re: sofasurfer]  

I ran into the same issue. I get a lot of email, and I like the way my Outlook handles it. Had no intention of changing over everything to AW2K.

What I did was setup a special AW2K email account. In my case, I used one of my websites POP accounts, but any email account with POP3 access would work. Then I just forward any relevant auction email to that account. The ones that really matter for AW2K are the payment emails since you can automatically grab the customer address, and it makes payment processing easier. I leave most of the auction "chatter" emails in Outlook.

AW2K is then just configured to download it's email from the special POP3 account that I forward to. In my AW2K email settings, I leave the SMTP host as my regular email provider so outgoing emails have my primary ebay address, and replies still go thru Outlook (just my personal preference).

I've read a number of ways people handle this, and one of my primary factors was that I didn't want to change email addresses for Ebay since I've had the same one since 1999. A lot of people on here just setup and use a seperate "ebay only" address.

Good luck!
Rich

rodgw
(Unregistered)
03/09/03 05:21 AM
Re: Email thru AW2K VS my regular mail window new [re: Tradeguy]  

Thats what I ended up doing. Setting up a seperate Email address for aw2k. At first it was a bit of a hassle. I had auctions that ended using my "old" Email address and some with the new aw2k address. Those who had gotten first notices with the old address and than followup payment or item shipped notices with the new address is where the confusion was the worst. I"m making this sound worse than it really is. I just had to email them an explanination.
Changing the email address in eBAy, Paypal and some other "business" accounts was straight forward.
The other writter is right in that you need to get these emails to aw2k somehow so that they get tied to the invoices. Make life within aw2k easier.
rodgw

sofasurfer
(stranger )
03/09/03 07:23 PM
Re: Email thru AW2K VS my regular mail window new [re: rodgw]  

I'm wodering if it would be possible to drag n' drop a message from my netscape mail window, to my AW2K mail window.

I see that in the AW2K database folder there are many 'inbox' files. Could a message be dropped into the AW2K folder somewhere and have it land in the 'inbox'?

magicka
(stranger )
03/26/03 06:15 PM
Re: Email thru AW2K VS my regular mail window new [re: sofasurfer]  

theres a few things about the way that email is handled that could use some help. one thing that would be really helpful, would be the ability to import and export to and from AW2k to your usual mail program.

another thing that would serve a similar purpose and might be easier to include would be to include an auto-forward option so that if you turn on auto-forward you could select to automatically send a copy of any replies you send from AW2k to your usual mail programs account and any messages that are downloaded to AW2k could also be set to forward to another email account.

that way for those of us who dont want to be tied to AW2k for email we can still handle problems and questions from our regular mail location but not miss any messages in AW2k either. because of AW2ks reliance on email its almost a necessity to be able to have these abilities.

whats the possibility of something like this?

thanks!

Tradeguy
(journeyman)
03/28/03 05:17 AM
Re: Email thru AW2K VS my regular mail window new [re: magicka]  

Hi Magika!

Your first idea is sort of what I do now - I forward relevant mail to a seperate pop email account - which is then picked up by AW2K. Anything in my regular outlook mailbox that I want copied to AW2K, I just forward to that seperate account.

On the other side, I like to know that emails that I send using AW2K are, in fact, sent. I also like backups in my regular Outlook so when I search for something, I am seeing ALL possible correspondence. In the email template editor, you can include a CC or BCC email address to send a copy of everything you send out with AW2K to a seperate email address. In my case, I send everything back to my main outlook email - that sounds like what you want to do with your item #2. (I use a BCC so the address is hidden from bidders).

Hope this helps!

Rich

magicka
(stranger )
03/28/03 10:40 AM
Re: Email thru AW2K VS my regular mail window new [re: Tradeguy]  

yea thats sort of what i do too but its not a very good, efficient way to handle it because it requires that we jump through a couple hoops. what i do is i set my pop account NOT to dl my auction related pop address then I DL all my auction mail with the AW2k program with the setting to leave it on the server. then i go back to outlook and reset my DL settings to receive those messages and DL again to get it into outlook. a bit of a pain, if we could just forward all aw2k mail to our standard mail reader acct itd save alot of hassle. (additionally, forwarding mail is a necessity from aw2k).

the problem with forwarding mail from your regular account to aw2k like some suggested is that ALL the mail is then from your own mail acvcount and theres no way to sort it effectively without associating each msg with an invoice which is a giant additional pain...

hopefully email tweaks are being looked at since this seems to be the weakest part of the program.

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads