General
   >> Email
Thread views: 9377 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Theradioshoppe
(stranger )
10/09/03 08:22 PM
Spam Control  

Does anyone have a good way to control spam when using AW2K? I have a separate account for eBay us and get 6-8 spam emails each day. I'm afraid to put a spam blocker on at my ISP as it could block email I need to see. In many cases email will have links that will allow one to remove themselves from email list. However, with AW2K not correctly displaying HTML coded pages these links are not available.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks, Jim

The best in amateur radio accessories.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
10/09/03 11:29 PM
Re: Spam Control new [re: Theradioshoppe]  

Hello radio,

The last thing you wan to do is use the "unsubscribe" links in spam. The spam was sent in the hope that you WOULD use the link, thereby confirming an active email address that can be sold in a list of "fresh" addresses. This will result in you receiving even more spam than before.

Regardless of where it originates, most spam is sent from a number of spam servers in the far east. You can send a large percentage of then to the trash can by following these steps:

1) On AW's email page click on Message > Filters, then click on "+ Add".

2) Select "Any Header" at the "if Header" list box, and "Contains" at the next list box.

3) Paste one of the numeric IP strings listed below into the "[Enter Text To Find Here]" box. Leave the next list box set to "Ignore"

4) Slelect "Trash Can" in the "then move message to folder" list box. Click on close.

Repeat the above steps for all 12 of the strings below. Since AW doesn't have global filters you will have to repeat the entire process for each of your email profiles. Good luck.

(63.251.59.
(64.35.
(64.62.
(66.216.
(66.23
(69.1.
(69.24.
(69.39.67.
(69.6.
(146.82.
(205.14
(216.22.

Theradioshoppe
(stranger )
10/12/03 10:52 AM
Re: Spam Control new [re: Anonymous]  

Dear Anonymous:

Two things:

I've had relatively good success responding to the unsubscribe link in spam. A local computer magazine recently had a lengthy article on the subject. I tryed it and overall I have less spam on three of my four email accounts. The fourth is used for eBay mail and the spam is steadily increasing. Of course, this is the one that I use with AW2K which does not display HTML correctly so the unsubscribe link is not available.

What is magic about the list of IP address that you mentioned? Looks like most are incomplete or are for groups of IP's rather than individual ones.

Thanks and have a great day!

Jim,

The best in amateur radio accessories.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
10/12/03 11:33 AM
Re: Spam Control new [re: Anonymous]  

radio,

Your first comment I don't have an answer for, as I never use the "unsubscribe" links in spam. It's nice you've had good luck with them.

There is no "magic" in the URL strings; they cover exclusion of many spam servers. For instance using the string "(64.35." will block mail from the address range 64.35..0.0 to 64.35.255.255. This is necessary as the spammers use dynamic addresses to send their stuff. This means the originating addesses keep changing. Ever get spam from an address that looks something like "r-4351034-190@bigdealsforyou.com"? You probably will never get another from the same user name as the spam-bot that runs the server is always changing the user name so the spam can't be traced easily.

The only problem with blocking full or partial domains is that you may dump some friendly email occasionally, but the list I posted contains mostly spam servers.

BTW, if using the curve open bracket "(" doesn't work too well, try changing them to a square open bracket "[".

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads