General
   >> Email
Thread views: 30805 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
09/03/06 10:13 PM
SPAM out of control  

Does anyone have a solution to SPAM in AW?

When I collect the morning mail, I get between 10 and 30 junk emails, and more come in throughout the day. Often, there's only one customer email for every 20 pieces of SPAM. I never open any of them, and I never knowingly visit or register at sites that are notorious for triggering SPAM. But somehow, they've got my number big time.

I have about 300 email filters set up in AW, but the number of permutations on PHARxxMACY and Viag#ra and Stox is enormous, so I can't stay ahead of these creeps. It's a waste of time to filter for their email addresses, and since we can't use wild cards (can we??), there's no way to filter for variations on the words the Spammers use. Also, I worry about inadvertently filtering out a legitimate email when I've sold, say, a vintage pharmacy beaker or some such.

Does anyone know of a way to deal with this?

Thanks, Sue

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/03/06 10:21 PM
Re: SPAM out of control new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

Well, I probably go the long way around dealing with the Spam issue but what we do at work. Outlook Express is configured on each machine to leave a copy of the mail on server for x days. There are folders set up with message rules so legitimate email is loaded into the appropriate folder. Every morning, the email is retrieved into Outlook Express. Then it is easy to highlight and delete all the SPam or unwanted email, clean it off the server prior to loading email into AW2K.

I realize that some may think, why in heavens name use 2 email clients, Outlook and AW2K. There is a reason for my maddness which is business related. The perk of cleaning up the SPAM was a side benefit we discovered quite a while back. So even if I didn't need to use Outlook Express for some other business related issues, I would still do it, just to clean up the unwanted email every morning.

I am quite sure others have some suggestions. That's what we do.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(journeyman)
09/03/06 10:29 PM

Sue:
I know what you mean about SPAM. I too am very careful where I visit and where I use my eBay email address. The easiest way to begin is to talk to your ISP help desk - a phone call is best for this. Find out if they are running a spam filter. I assume they are but it is possible you have to opt in on it. Most ISP's use some form of Brightmail to filter. It works well. Also it gives you an opportunity to review the filtered stuff just in case.

Maybe that suggestion might help. Hope it does. The best way to deal with Spam is to have it filtered out before it gets to your 'puter and the ISP is the one to do it.

One other way is MailWasher Pro. It works pretty good except you have to run it before you open mail. However, it learns the bad stuff and you also have complete control over what is and isn't bounced, deleted, or allowed. You can locate them at: http://www.firetrust.com/

Garry

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/03/06 10:47 PM
Re: SPAM out of control new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Sue,

I just thought of something else. Is pair.com your image hosting service? If so, even the basic FTP account provides numerous email accounts. And pair.com uses SPAM assassin junk mail filtering. Anything that is suspect is sent to another mailbox. Which you as the administrator can delete, forward or move. I just log onto my pair.com account every morning and check my default junk mailbox to see if anything is in there that shouldn't. Delete the bad stuff and I am good to go.

The other SPAM that I receive that I talked about cleaning up in Outlook first, comes in on a really old email account that is my registered paypal account. so since about the only thing that is legit on that account anymore is Paypal payments, the SPAM is very easy to see. And all the email through pair.com is filtered.

Hope we all give you some ideas.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
09/03/06 11:08 PM

My ISP doesn't gather my AW email. I use DSLEXtreme for some other email addresses I have. I use Outlook (not OE) for that email, but for some reason, SPAM isn't much of a problem for those accounts. Odd, because it's those addresses I use for buying online and for buying on eBay. I have the ISP's filters disabled, and I don't even use what Outlook offers for junk filtering. I get some financial stuff in those accounts, but it's nothing compared to what my eBay selling email gets!

But I think Judy's onto something with the Pair.com ideas......

Thanks Garry.

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
09/03/06 11:14 PM
Re: SPAM out of control new [re: bluepennylady]  

Yeah, Pair is what I use for image hosting and for email -- have two mailboxes with them. You have again thought of something I should have thought of! Pair.com! Of course! I knew they had SPAM-filtering, but it just didn't occur to me to use it. I think they even upgraded the set-up in recent months. Thanks again for the long-distance smack upside my head. LOL

I'm off to Pair to look around.

Sue

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/03/06 11:16 PM

Sue,

When you log into your pair.com account, on your main page, go to email account management. One the email management page, about 1/4 way down is the junk mail filtering options and how to set up everything.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
09/04/06 00:05 AM

Thanks Judy, I found it. Read some of the FAQs and Tips and then basically put a checkmark in one box. So now we wait and see what happens....

It's my understanding that since I didn't specify a path/file at Pair to store the junk, it'll still come in to AW, where I will set up a filter for it. I think it's tagged somehow -- words added to the subject?? Well, I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks again, Sue

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/04/06 05:29 AM

Sue,

what account level do you have at pair.com? Basic FTP, Advanced account? Now the basic FTP is a real stretch for me to remember how the email is set up and the features you are allowed. If memory serves me correctly, didn't pair.com give you 1 email account that they set up for you? My default account at pair reads: joglesby@xxxxxx.pair.com

Yours should read something like that? Pair refers to that email account as General email delivery account.

It sounds like to me that you found the Email management page and selected the junk mail filter settings. But the box below that option is blank. The box that tells you where the junk mail will go when it arrives? The path in that box should read something like:
/usr/home/youraccountname/.imap/junk

Then you have to add a Junk mail folder to your pair.com default email account. The junk mail will be sent to that account. You'll check for junk mail then at pair.com in that default email account. Does that make any sense at all?

If you can't figure out how to do the correct path for junk or add the junk mail folders to each of your pair.com email accounts, email the pair.com tech support directly from your pair account. They won't be available for help today. but they are great at doing this kind of stuff. If you have the availablity of phone support, you can even call them. The techs have always been great. Very helpful and they know what they are doing. They can help you fix the junk mail settings correctly.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
09/04/06 12:20 PM

I have the basic FTP account, but I also have a parked domain with them (both my eBay selling addresses are convexation.com), so I think they allow me some crazy amount of mailboxes -- 200 or something. Actually, I'm not sure if that's just the default for any account including the basic FTP or if it's because of the domain.

I'm still getting a small amount of SPAM (today's holiday may have cut the flow a bit), but I'll go back and follow your instructions about creating a folder.

I read last night that if you click to filter junk, Greylisting goes into effect by default. Evidently, that involves nothing more than a short server delay. The rationale is that while legit email is set up to resend, the spammers' servers will give up after one attempt. So it'll be interesting to see how that works with buyer email.

Sue

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/04/06 12:29 PM

Sue,

The greylisting works very well. Since you have a parked domain with pair.com, you should have the default email account as well.

You might log into your pair.com account and go to the email management section. Is there a email address at the top that states all Global settings and emails will be sent to this email address? It should be right at the top.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(journeyman)
09/04/06 12:34 PM

Sue:

Greylisting is very good at filtering out Spam. You should see a big difference in the amount of garbage coming into your inbox. It will be dramatically different I'm sure considering the amount of spam you talked about earlier.

Garry

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
09/05/06 02:16 PM

Just letting you know this is working beautifully. Thanks again for the help and suggestions. The folks at this forum are amazing!

With my SPAM controls set to Forgiving (the options are Light, Forgiving, Default, Aggressive, and Very Aggressive), I'm now getting very few junk emails in AW, and what does come in has **JUNK** added to the subject line and goes directly to the Trash (per my newest filter), so I can easily check for anything I want to actually open before dumping the Trash every couple days. The only stuff that gets through are things that I haven't seen before -- new scams, new schemes, new spam-creep ideas. And I suppose, even if one does nothing, these newest schemes will soon be added to Pair.com's craplist.

Nice to feel like I have a bit of control over this annoyance.

Thanks again, Sue

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/05/06 02:37 PM

Sue,

That is great!! I thought you might like the pair.com junk mail filter. I have mine set to forgiving as well. And it sure works nicely. And then if something goes into the default box that shouldn't be, I just move it. Another reason to use pair.com for image hosting. The email service is really really good. It hasn't been down but once in the last few years. And the 1 time it was down was in the wee hours of the morning. It was fixed in less than a hour.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
10/09/06 01:08 PM

A belated reply:

Yes, Pair.com is extremely reliable. I have their server-status announcements sent to my other email address in Outlook, where I have a Rule (filter) set up to discard anything that doesn't mention my particular mail/web server and to save to a folder any that pertain to bellat ("my" server -- actually shared by about a hundred other folks). I think it's been well over a year since any mail was sent to that folder. And the last time there was a server malfunction, it lasted only about an hour.

Sue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads