General
   >> Email
Thread views: 37237 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Katz
(stranger )
04/18/07 06:18 AM
checking email  

Hi there,
I have been using AW for about 5 years. I've recently changed my email address, set it up in AW, checked both settings (they checked out ok), but when I check my mail through AW it doesn't import any mail at all. I can send mail ok, but not receive it in the AW program.
Any ideas?
Thanks

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/18/07 08:09 AM
Re: checking email new [re: Katz]  

Katz,

More than likely the Advanced settings in your other email client program are set to not leave a copy of email on the server.

What program do you use to check email on your computer? Outlook, Outlook Express, etc?? In Outlook, go to Tools | Accounts. click on the email address you are working with so it is blue. Then on the right side of the dialog box, select "Properties"

On the next dialog box, Select the "Advanced" Tab. IN the lower section of the next window, are the options for leaving a copy of email on the server. Enable the settings and select how many days you want to leave a copy on the server.

Does that help??

Judy/blue

Katz
(stranger )
04/18/07 02:53 PM
Re: checking email new [re: bluepennylady]  

I use Opera and yes it's set up to leave the mail on the server. Everything is the same as it has been with my other email address except I can't get the AW to check them now. It says it is checking them (goes through the motions) but none get transported into my AW.

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/18/07 03:06 PM

HI,

Now that is weird. Does your email provider require SMTP authentication? You might try selecting that option in the Email configuration tab and see if that allows the email to be retrieved.

Judy/blue

Katz
(stranger )
04/18/07 04:48 PM

I've checked the box and unchecked the box and tried it both ways. No dice.

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/18/07 07:10 PM

HI,

Well now that is a quandry. Let me be sure I have the scenario straight in my head.

You can check email with Opera and retrieve email. Advanced settings are set to leave a copy of mail on the server.

You run AW2K, hit Check email and AW2K contacts your ISP, counts emails and nothing loads? Or does AW2K not run through counting the email? You know if there are 32 messages, the dialog box says retrieving 1 of 32 etc??

Or does AW2K not see any messages at all on the email server?

Judy/blue

Katz
(stranger )
04/18/07 07:36 PM

Everything you stated was correct except AW acts like there is no mail. It contacts, connects, then disconnects from my isp, but doesnt count through emails like it did with my other email address.

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/18/07 07:50 PM

HI,

Have you checked your email using Opera after checking the email with AW2K? I mean to see if Opera still sees email on the server. It just reeks of emails getting erased somehow.

Is the new ISP web-based? If so, you might log onto your email account online and see if email messages really are on the server?

Judy/blue

Katz
(stranger )
04/18/07 08:18 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I logged into my online hughes.net account and there were no messages there! Ends up I had the button clicked to forward emails to my other email address. Duh!
Thanks for everything! This has been driving me crazy.
Kathy

moonstruck22
(newbie)
04/18/07 08:22 PM

Hi all,
Will put in my 2 cents since I just went through this.
AW2k does NOT support SSL connections for email. Opera will continue to work but you won't be able to use AW.
Now I don't know if the email service that you were switched to uses SSL connections but that may be your problem.
My ISP switched from using local servers to using gmail and created this problem for me just last weekend. Here's the thing the ISP didn't require any address changes and you didn't actually know that they were utilizing gmail servers, unless you went to the webmail site, then it revealed where your emails were being hosted. It was really kind obscure also. Seems like Google, gmail is allowing ISP's to use the servers and keep their facade which makes good business sense but sometimes it gets us little guys!
In my situation when I went to make sure my email accounts in AW were set up right, and tested the connections, I kind of got a hit and miss thing at first, then when I actually tried to receive and send an email, it just timed out.
That is when I did some investigating found the gmail connection, realized it was a SSL connection, contacted Thom to make sure that was still the case, no SSL support, he confirmed. And I have decided to host my own emails!
I have had it with ISP's ruling my email world!

Hope this may shed some light on the problem at hand!

Good Luck,
Marty
Moonstruck22

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads