General
   >> Email
Thread views: 37242 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
moonstruck22
(newbie)
04/18/07 08:27 PM
Re: checking email new [re: Katz]  

Kathy,
I see now that you have solved the problem. Great!
Wish I would have realized that you were on hughes.net I would have addressed it that way. You reminded me of the problem about a year ago when direcway switched to hughes I went through it then too! But I had forgotten about that since I was focused on my current issue. Don't know if you made that switch but that forwarding service was a doozy to deal with then too!
Again glad you got it figured out!

Marty
Moonstruck22

Katz
(stranger )
04/18/07 08:50 PM
Re: checking email new [re: moonstruck22]  

Hi Marty,
Thanks for the input. I actually got Hughes.net right after they switched, so didnt have to go through all that.
One of your comments stuck in my head though and I cant get it out. About hosting your own emails? How would you do that? I just love creativity! LOL!

moonstruck22
(newbie)
04/18/07 09:08 PM

Kathy,

Well that is fortunate that you have only had to deal with it once! I had hughes (direcway) for all of 2 years because I didn't have a choice for broadband. 6 mos ago our community installed a wireless broadband with about the same speeds as satellite for half the price so I jumped at the offer! And am happy as pie, except for this email switcharoo!
I have been toying with a starting a website for awhile and this put me over the edge. I will be hosting my emails on my domain name very soon I hope.
Now if you want the technical workings of that......I will have to ask JUDY jump in an fire away!!!
Give me a couple of weeks and I may be able to answer myself!
I am still trying to wrap my head around this new adventure!

Marty

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/19/07 04:27 AM

Kathy,

That is really good news! Things like that can drive a person right up the wall.

Happy AW2K'ing!!!

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/19/07 04:37 AM

Kathy,

Most web space providers also provide x number of email accounts when you buy space. I'll use pair.com as an example only as I am familiar with them. But others do the same thing.

The basic FTP account at pair.com costs $5.95 a month for 250 MB of space ad 200 email accounts. When you sign up, you have the opportunity to secure a domain name. Then you can configure your own email. I have numerous email accounts at pair.com.
bluepennylady@pennyworthsales.com
infor@pennyworthsales.com
etc, etc

pennyworthsales.com is my domain name (plus I have others that I registered just to be sure no one grapped them up)
Some of my staff have their own email accounts that I set up just for them. And I determine the mail box size, rules, filters etc.

You might seriously consider when you register your domain name to go ahead and register it for 10 years. The cost is nominal for the 10 year and add-ons are just a few dollars. I did not register my domain name the first time for 10 years, just one year as I thought if it didn't work, well who wants a domain name. Bad idea. Our corporate website, although not professionally designed, provide tons of traffic for our business. So even if I were to stop Auctions tomorrow, which I won't I would still maintain a website. It is almost an absolute must to have at least a couple page website anymore in this business climate.

Does that help??

Judy/blue

Katz
(stranger )
04/19/07 05:07 AM
Re: checking email new [re: bluepennylady]  

Ok, I didn't realise that you meant hosting your email through your domain. I have had a website for years with the ability for several email accounts, but have never use any of them. Set one up when I first started the site and you wouldnt believe the junk mail I received, so I said "forget that!" and never tried it again.
Thanks again for everything!
Kathy

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/19/07 05:12 AM

Kathy,

I also receive skads of junk mail. Pair has Spam assaisin junk filter which I will have to say works better than any piece of spam software I have ever seen. I have yet to have a legit email get caught in it. Pair sets up a default email account for you. You can set the filter to send all junk mail to that account or you can set up your own. I just use that account and never retrieve the email with any client. I log into pair and clean the junk mail off the server. Rarely do we receive junk mail through my own domain email.

I do know some of my other seller friends who have their own domain email, have junk mail difficulty. It is just the way of the beast anymore.

Judy/blue

moonstruck22
(newbie)
04/19/07 05:26 AM
Re: checking email new [re: bluepennylady]  

I do the same with pairs default account. I have never used it for anything but their invoice, which I really didn't need to do since I had it copied to the email I used for AW. But the pair default account receives "skads" of spam daily. It is probably because "those out there with nothing productive to do", are targeting the pair domain.
But like was said it is unfortunately something we have to work with, cause it is impossible to work completely around!

Marty

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads