General
   >> Email
Thread views: 14421 *Threaded Mode

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/23/07 04:45 PM
Finding an email message  

When I have occasion to resend an email to a buyer of a closed Invoice, is there a way to easily locate that message in the Email folders, or even to just find out what folder to look in? This would eliminate several minutes of searching (just now took me 10 minutes to find an email I needed to resend because I didn't know what folder I'd put it in -- didn't want to just copy-paste into a new email page -- wanted to resend the original). Doesn't every outgoing message have a unique ID number? Is there a way to go from the message list on the Invoice window's email tab directly to that same message in the main Email window? If we rightclick on a message in the Invoices window, the only option is Delete. Would be nice if Thom could add Go To Message to the rightclick menu.

Would also be nice to be able to run just one search for all emails relating to a particular invoice number that are in any of the folders within the Out Box, instead of having to run the search in one subfolder at a time, but this sounds like a much more complicated program tweak (similar to the way Excel can search for something on all sheets in a workbook).

Ok, after saying all this, I bet you guys are going to tell me there's already some eazy-squeezy way to do this.

Thanks, Sue

moonstruck22
(newbie)
04/23/07 06:32 PM
Re: Finding an email message new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,
Maybe I am missing something but can't you while in the email window click on message/find and then give your parameters for the search and come up with the results you are looking for?

As far as ID numbers the Invoice number is in most subject lines of the email. Could you search for that?

And as far as that goes if you know the invoice the associated emails would be available in the Invoice window at the email tab.

Here's what I do and I am sure there are other ways but, If I have an associated email I move it to a folder "Associated Emails", that way all the emails that have been tied to an invoice open or closed are in that folder. I do that for the sent emails also. Just makes it easier for me.
Hope this helps! And maybe I am missing the point completely!

Marty

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/23/07 07:17 PM
Re: Finding an email message new [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty wrote: "Maybe I am missing something but can't you while in the email window click on message/find and then give your parameters for the search and come up with the results you are looking for? "

Yes, but you have to know what folder to search, and you have to know the subject line of the email or the date. I had a large amount of correspondence with a particular buyer. We are now considering a non-eBay transaction. I wanted to resend one of the messages, but I didn't know what folder it was in (had been auto-filed by one of my filters). I finally found it, but it wasn't easy or fast -- almost all our emails have the same subject heading.

Yes, I can search on the invoice number, but that means running the search for each of about six different folders it could be in, and hitting the Find Next button a bunch of times. I guess I'm just very impatient.

And yes, the message was in the email list in the main Invoices window, and I could have opened it and just copy-pasted the text to a brand new email page, but I was wanting to do a Send Again, so I wouldn't have to also paste the subject and whatever. Again, being impatient and lazy, and ending up spending more time.

I think part of my problem is that I have too many folders. I've got one for Greetings, one for Pmnt Rec'd, one for Item Shipped, one for Miscellaneous, one for.......well, you get the idea. I suppose as long as you are very good about always associating emails, you really only need one folder, huh?

Sue

moonstruck22
(newbie)
04/23/07 08:19 PM

Sue,

See I told you that I may be missing something!
Pretty much use just the Inbox for misc. emails and then the "associated" for those. And so you are right I just have 4 searches to perform!

Here's another thought and I have no idea if it works, Google Desktop. I had it at one time and it was helpful. But I went through a time when I was trying to clean up all the programs running in the background to solve a OS problem. It was one of the programs that I uninstalled. Sometimes I miss it and was going to reinstall it because Quickbooks 2007 utilizes it and it would make my brick and mortar business easier at times.
But I DO NOT know if it would search the AW2K database. someone else would have to answer that. I don't have it on my machine and I am in the process of setting up a network and don't need any more variables, so I can't test it for you at this time!
Sorry I wasn't more help!

Marty

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/24/07 05:30 AM

Sue,

Why don't you sort the folder by the subject, Invoice, etc instead of by date received. In this instance since you knew the subject line, the search would have been narrowed as you knew the subject to look for.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
04/24/07 06:19 AM

Marty & Sue:
I use Google Desktop and in most cases it will assist you in finding an email message in aw2k. All you have to do is search by name or subject line or part of the message. It won't find them all and I'm not sure why. But the majority of the time I find all messages. I don't use it as the usual way of searching for an email message sent or received in AW2K but it comes in handy sometimes.

Garry

moonstruck22
(newbie)
04/24/07 07:14 AM
Re: Finding an email message new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,
Well there you go! I thought that it might but wasn't sure.
Thanks for the info!
Marty

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/24/07 12:15 PM

Garry,

Well I am off to install Google desktop. It keeps popping up to install and I am always doing something else so I have not yet installed it.

Judy/blue

*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads