Configuration
   >> Email Accounts
Thread views: 17213 *Threaded Mode

sweetpickns
(stranger )
03/06/05 06:48 AM
PayPal  

Anyone have the code for the email template to let customers pay using paypal from AW...my code that I got on Jackies site (where is that place now) no longer adds the item number or invoice number???

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=sweetpickns@suscom.net&item_name=Ebay+Auction(s)&item_number=Invoice+<#InvoiceNumber>&amount=$<#TotalDue f=u>

sweetpickns

Tradeguy
(enthusiast)
03/07/05 02:24 PM
Re: PayPal new [re: sweetpickns]  

That looks fine - but the code doesn't display "item number" - just invoice number. Item number refers to the paypal variable, not the aw2k field.

<#InvoiceNumber> should display the invoice number.

The entire string needs to be either in the invoice header or footer - it won't work in the middle section.

Rich

tictictic_OnEbay
(stranger )
07/03/05 11:02 PM
Re: PayPal new [re: Tradeguy]  

Hope this isn't too dumb a question......

I don't have a Professional Account at Paypal, so I can't take credit cards and I don't include any Paypal links in my auctions. I get lots of Paypal payments, but only if they're bank transfers, existing funds, or eChecks. Most of the time, this works fine, but some of my buyers go a bit ballistic when they have to learn a new way to use Paypal.

The link sweetpickns posted intriques me. I pasted in my own email address and lo and behold! it took me to a page for making a payment to myself, but of course I couldn't try it out, because I can't pay myself (can't even use any of my other IDs).

So my question is....If I put this link in my Congrats emails and tell buyers to go there and just type in the total due (cuz I can't use the shipping, insurance, or tax boxes at Paypal -- at least, I don't think I can), will this get them to the auction they need to pay for?

What I've been doing is instructing them to get to the chart at Paypal that shows all their recent unpaid wins and to type in the costs there, but getting them to that page is like pulling teeth. My instructions are very clear, but buyers can be very hard-headed! I'd love to just use a link to get them there.

Please don't tell me to get a Professional Account -- paying Paypal fees is against my religion!

Thanks, tictictic on eBay

Tradeguy
(enthusiast)
07/04/05 03:39 PM
Re: PayPal new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

This will pay for the auction - but it won't "link" the auction payment to the actual ebay auction record.

tictictic_OnEbay
(stranger )
07/05/05 10:42 AM
Re: PayPal new [re: Tradeguy]  

Well, that might still be easier than having them try to find the chart of all their recent wins. I've given the link to two buyers now. No payments yet or feedback about whether the link helped them. I've told them it's kind of experimental and to expect to have to type in the total due. So we'll see.....

Thanks, tictictic (aka Soodie)

tictictic_OnEbay
(stranger )
07/05/05 12:19 PM

Ok, this is a little messed up......

As I mentioned, I have provided that link (with my own paypal email inserted) to a couple buyers by just pasting it into an email to them. But just now, I added it to an email template, and weirdness ensued.

When I click to send that template to a buyer, the link appears with the Total Due price at the end instead of the TAG for the Total Due, like this:

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=emailshere@convexation.com&item_name=Ebay+Auction(s)&item_number=Invoice+2269&amount=$$ 8.00

Clicking this link gets a Paypal Error page: "The link....contains an incorrectly formatted item amount."

The code that I've inserted into the email template looks like this:

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=emailshere@convexation.com&item_name=Ebay+Auction(s)&item_number=Invoice+<#InvoiceNumber>&amount=$<#TotalDue f=u>

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, tictictic/Soodie

tictictic_OnEbay
(stranger )
07/05/05 12:24 PM

P.S. I'm putting this link in the footer section of the email template.

tictictic/Soodie

tictictic_OnEbay
(stranger )
07/07/05 08:10 PM

I asked Thom why this link wasn't working properly, why it resulted in an error page at Paypal. He suggested it was because there was an extraneous dollar sign in the tag for Total Due. I removed that extra $ and the link seems to work now. However, when placed in the footer section of an email template, that tag still displays wrong -- it shows the actual dollar amount in the email message received by the buyer, instead of just the tag. Can anyone tell me how to change this link so it will work properly in an email template? Thanks.

Here's the link (this board removes the "percent20" space filler in the Total Due tag -- not sure why that's even needed; seems to work the same with or without it):

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=emailshere@convexation.com&item_name=Ebay+Auction(s)&item_number=Invoice+<#InvoiceNumber>&amount=<#TotalDue f=u>

tictictic_OnEbay
(newbie)
07/25/05 03:48 PM

I got help from Paypal tech support (who knew there were such nice, patient, helpful folks at Paypal?!!).

The tag at the end of the link is for the Total Due (it's irrelevant whether you use Unformatted, Column Aligned, or Non-Column Aligned or whether you place it in the Header, Footer, or Invoice Item Info sections). That tag inserts a space between the dollar sign and the first digit of the money amount. That space breaks the link and keeps the Total Due from being "seen" or inserted at Paypal.

At this point, the only solution I know of is to open the queued email and remove that space before sending it. As far as I can tell, this works nicely.

Does anyone know if there is a way to alter the Item Total tag to prevent it from inserting that space?

Thanks.

tictictic_OnEbay
(newbie)
07/25/05 05:23 PM

Thom to the rescue!

When sweetpickns posted that link here, this Forum's protocol (or whatever....) replaced the space in the tag for Item Total with the html code for space filler (don't know the correct term for it), which is % 20 (I've added a space so it'll display properly here). So when I just copy/pasted it into my email template, that % 20 CREATED a space. If I had just inserted the tag using the email template editor and the drop-down boxes, this wouldn't have happend. A real EUREKA moment.

tictictic OnEbay (Soodie)

*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads