Configuration
   >> Email Accounts
Thread views: 6833 *Threaded Mode

Ned
(member)
06/02/07 04:38 PM
Error 553 sometimes when you send mail? Here's help.  

If you sometimes get "Email Error 553 Sorry that domain isn't allowed to be relayed through this MTA" when you try to send email from AW2K, read on.

The important word here is sometimes: if you haven't got your email set up and working yet, this note won't help.

This is not an AW2K problem. It's an interaction between Email Account options, your usage patterns, and decisions made by your email provider.

Here's what's happening:

The common email sending protocol (SMTP Regular) doesn't have any security to speak of. The email sender simply asks the email server to send the message on. There's no password. So a wide open email server will pass on mail from anyone to anyone. Handy for everybody, including spammers.

The common email receiving protocol (POP3) does have a bit of security--a user name and password. These are presented whenever you check your mail.

Some email providers have decided to implement a sort of SMTP security by only allowing email senders who have recently logged in using POP3 to check their mail. It's roundabout, but it's better than nothing.

How long is "recently"? Depends on the provider. If I haven't checked my email in the last hour or so, when I try to send a message I get this error.

Solution

First, see if your email provider supports SMTP Authentication. AW2K can. If this possibility exists, it's the best solution.

If you're stuck with SMTP unauthenticated, you still have some choices:

You might want to check "Send Queued Mail When Checking For New Mail" for the Email Account that has this problem. Then AW2K will check for new mail (using POP3) before trying to send your messages. If this option is checked, and you never manually send mail, you should never have this problem.

You might not want to check the SQMWCFNM. I like to be able to control when messages from various accounts are sent. If you don't want to use the check-before-sending feature, just do a Check Mail when you get the Error 553 and then send your message again. It'll go through with no problem.

Hope this helps you avoid some frustration.

Ned

Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads