Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 10551 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

pamzpsalm34
(stranger )
08/31/03 09:21 PM
Copying files due to re-formatting new  

I need some advice on all that I should do to keep my AW files. Due to varies reasons (I'll spare you the details) I need to re-format my computer and am in the process of copying files for re-downloading. Not being real computer savvy, I'm not sure really where to begin with Auction Wizard.

Can I copy all my auction (etc.) records to a floppy disk or CD to re-download after the formatting is done? How about the AW Program itself? Do I make copies of the file(s) or can I download it again? I'm very concerned about my Listing and Email Templates. I have about 20 customized Listing Templates that I have spent hundreds of hours perfecting. How can I save these? Maybe there's something else I haven't thought of that someone else maybe aware of? HELP!

Pam

AuctionWizardAdministrator
(Auction Wizard Team)
09/03/03 09:25 AM
Re: Copying files due to re-formatting new [re: pamzpsalm34]  

Here's how to backup and restore Auction Wizard 2000:

1. Copy the entire C:\Aw2000 folder to a CD.

2. After you have reformatted your hard drive and installed Windows, copy the Aw2000 folder from the CD back to the root of your C: drive. That will put the folder back in its original location.

3. If you are not using Windows XP, then you need to use the Windows Explorer to turn off the "read-only" attribute on the C:\Aw2000 folder and all of the files and subfolders within it.

4. Install the full version of Auction Wizard 2000 into the C:\Aw2000 folder. You can download the installer for the full version of Auction Wizard 2000 from the download page.

That will restore the program, database and all of the program settings.

-- The Auction Wizard Team

pamzpsalm34
(stranger )
09/06/03 09:27 PM
Re: Copying files due to re-formatting [re: AuctionWizard]  

OK, reformatting done and I've got AW2000 reinstalled. Somewhat painless all though it took some time removing all the "read-only" attributes on files and subfolders. I'm having a problem though. I'm not able to receive email or access the FILE tab--Email Accounts, FTP Accounts, etc. I keep getting a window that says:

"INFORMATION:
Another user is performing an operation that prevents this action from taking place. Try again later. OK"

What's this all about?

Pam

pamzpsalm34
(stranger )
09/07/03 07:40 AM

Oops! Figured it out myself. Appears I left a few of those "read-only" attributes still checked. Is there something I don't know, ie., was there an easier way to "uncheck" these without having to go file by file, subfolder by subfolder? My right index finger is killing me!

Anyways, AW2000 is working. I can receive email and so on. I'm back in business and with a computer that is now super fast and smooth! (Boy, I hope there aren't any more problems lurking around the corner.) Thanks so much for the info. I love AW2000.

Pam

tfmc
(stranger )
09/10/03 06:35 AM

next time this happens.. try this little prog...

http://www.wolfiesden.com/downloads/images/attrib.html

it will work wonders!!

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
08/27/06 11:21 PM
Re: Copying files due to re-formatting new [re: AuctionWizard]  

What do you do if you ARE using Windows XP and the system keeps resetting the folder to read only?

bluepennylady
(member)
08/28/06 05:34 AM
Re: Copying files due to re-formatting new [re: Anonymous]  

Hi,

Hummm, I don't know what is the correct thing to do. But I will check today and see if I can find out. Let me be sure I understand the problem.

You unchecked the "Read only" atttributes on each folder you wanted to change. And when you went back, the folder options were re-selected as "read only"?

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(newbie)
08/28/06 05:59 AM
Re: Copying files due to re-formatting new [re: Anonymous]  

I'm not sure if you have worked out the problem of resetting the folder attributes. However, one thing to check is to make sure you have Administrator rights to XP when you log in. In some cases if you are logged as a user without Admin rights there are some system wide things that you cannot do. Try logging in as Administrator and do the attrib thing again. It should work this time and stay changed on reboot.

Garry

bluepennylady
(member)
08/28/06 08:39 AM
Re: Copying files due to re-formatting new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Geez,,,,Why didn't I think of that

I even know to do that as I am the system Administrator here. Okay, back to the coffee pot for another cup of java to wake up the 'ole brain.

Judy/blue

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads