Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 9740 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

tictictic_OnEbay
(newbie)
02/02/06 12:02 PM
Preview in a new browser window  

I would like an option to tell AW to always open a NEW browser window for previewing auctions/auction templates. I often have one or several browser windows open on various sites that I'm not ready to close (still shopping, still reading posts, whatever). I'll switch to AW to finish writing an auction; I'll Preview it; OOPS! there goes one of the internet sites I wasn't done with! (And yes, I know I could just hit the BACK button to return to the site, but I never remember to do that; I end up just closing the Preview window.)

Is this already an option and I'm just not aware of it?

If not, would this be difficult to include in the program?

Is there a way to set up Windows or MSIE to always open a new browser page when doing an AW preview?

Thanks, tictictic_OnEbay

wheeloftime
(journeyman)
02/02/06 09:48 PM
Re: Preview in a new browser window new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

I believe there is (haven't tried it though):
with IE check your setting for 'Reuse windows for launching shortcuts' under Tools-Internet Options-Advanced tab
Make sure it is unticked.

tictictic_OnEbay
(newbie)
02/03/06 02:34 AM
Re: Preview in a new browser window new [re: wheeloftime]  

Hi Journeyman,

Well, it's certainly a step in the right direction. Thanks very much for telling me about that browser setting.

With 'Reuse windows for launching shortcuts' unchecked, the AW Preview windows do not replace other browser windows, so that's good. However, unless you CLOSE the Preview, it persists even when you go to a different Lot and Preview a different template. In other words, if you leave the Preview window open (or if you just minimize it) and click the tray icon or use Alt-Tab to go back to AW, you can't Preview a new auction Lot. At least I can't -- maybe there's some other internet setting I need to tweak. Anyway, this is definitely better than having AW take over other browser windows, but the perfect solution would still be a setting in AW.

Thanks again.
tictictic_OnEbay

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
02/06/06 01:58 PM

I use Opera (www.opera.com) set as default browser. It has multi-page interface. So I have no such problems. I think swithching to Opeara or Firefox may be a good idea anyhow.

tictictic_OnEbay
(newbie)
02/06/06 02:31 PM
Re: Preview in a new browser window new [re: Anonymous]  

I'll give these other browsers a try. I tried Opera once and quit using it for some reason.

Actually, I reset my MSIE browser back to 'Reuse windows for launching shortcuts', because it got to be a real PITA when previewing templates -- just a hassle to always have to close each one before viewing a new one. If I forgot to do that and made changes to my template or auction description, the Preview would open up the "old" template -- the changes don't get reflected unless you've closed the old one (or maybe you just have to hit the Refresh button on the Lots window -- never tried that).

Seems like it would be so simple to add this functionality to AW. Either a program option to always open Previews in a new window (in other words, replace the one most recently viewed, assuming it's still open), or a fourth button on the Lots window, call it Preview Template in New Window.... Always seemed to me this should be the default anyway.

If I were to go to AW right now and click to Preview some auction template just to check something I'm replying about, the Preview would replace this Forum window and I'd probably lose what I've written so far. If I go to my internet bookmarks (I use Linkman), I have the option of either double-clicking to open a link in the current browser window or right-click the link and select Launch in New Window. I think that's how AW should behave.

tictictic_OnEbay

AuctionWizardAdministrator
(Auction Wizard Team)
02/08/06 08:24 AM

Auction Wizard 2000 does not directly interface with any web browsers. When you preview a Listing Template the program generates an HTML file for the preview. The name of that file is passed to Windows, which opens it in the default web browser. It is a function of the web browser to determine if the preview is opened in a new window or not.

Internet Explorer does not provide many options for opening HTML files. It can either open an HTML file in a new window, or it can open it in an existing window, which will replace what was already in that window. You might look into using Mozilla Firefox. Firefox can be configured to open HTML files on separate tabs within the same window.

-- The Auction Wizard Team

tictictic_OnEbay
(newbie)
02/08/06 11:04 AM
Re: Preview in a new browser window new [re: AuctionWizard]  

Ok, I'll check out the Firefox browser.

Thanks AW Team.

tictictic_OnEbay

grumpy3b
(newbie)
02/12/06 08:14 PM

fyi, it's always a good idea to view your listings in several browsers before you settle on your templates as being OK...IE handles some things very differently than Firefox or Netscape (both Mozilla based browsers...though NS is actually a hybrid of both)...

It gets worse when you try and consider various versions of each browser...as a rule I test listing templates against IE5.x and IE6 as well as FF 1.x - 1.5x...

ain't browsers fun?

Just wait IE7 is due out sometime before this summer...oh, joy...

Marlya
(Unregistered)
03/24/06 10:04 PM
Re: Preview in a new browser window new [re: grumpy3b]  

What I have going on is when I preview the first time a browser window will open, but if I make changes and preview again I have to refresh the page to see the changes. This started about a month ago, kind of agravating, but not an emergency situation though. Anyone else having this happen? Know a fix? TIA!!! Marlya

tictictic_OnEbay
(newbie)
03/25/06 03:25 AM
Re: Preview in a new browser window new [re: Marlya]  

It's a browser setting (can't remember exactly what it is right now, too sleepy); it's not an AW setting. Look in your browser's Tools: Internet options. It's something about opening each new page in a new browser window, and I think it's what Firefox does by default. We need the best of both worlds, but so far, I haven't found it.

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads