Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 24746 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
AquilaStamps
(journeyman)
09/09/06 09:39 AM
eBay Payment Scammer new  

Here is the text from the email I received from the scammer guy for a $16.95 eBay BIN.

{CLIPPED FROM EMAIL}

To: AquilaStamps
Subject: GET BACK TO ME ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: Sep 5, 2006 10:29 PM

I agreed to pay the amount you want as buy it now and any additional money for the shipping. But i am using this opportunity to inform you that the amount that will be on the money order will more than your item fees. I don't realy know the exact amount it will be. Because it will be issue by my client, the reason of the over payment is that the amount on the moneyorder has been signed, and it is more than your item fees. So once you receive it, you must deduct ur item fees and Western Union the balance money to my client manager in Africa,and the item is going africa.

There will be no problem about the shipment. I want you to responsible for it. Also make sure you deduct your item fees and western union any aditional money on the m/o once you receive it. Here we go i would have end the auction but i don't know how to do it. So i want you to go and end the auction for me asap to assure you that i am really interested in your item. I will add extra $5.00 in your payment if you end the auction for me asap. And email me your phone# and where the money order will be addressed to asap today.
Below are the questions i have for you

1) Is the item in good condition?
2) Is any westernunion location where you will be able to send the balance money arround you?
3) Can you make sure you get the m/o cash at ur bank the sameday you receive it?
4) Can you allow me to send DHL for the pick up and complet the transaction the day you receive the moneyorder?
If yes too all my questions. Kindly email me back asap today so that the moneyorder can be send asap.
Thanks.

{END OF CLIP}

Sounds way confusing and it just smells of trouble. But they wouldn't be doing this if others had not bitten on it before.

Garry

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/09/06 09:50 AM
Re: eBay Payment Scammer new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

I would report that dude to eBay in a heart beat and not respond. I am so glad you shared the information on the boards. We wrongly presume everyone will recognize a scam but not everyone does. And some of them sound so real.

It is just a good idea to always forward any emails that ask for any response like the one you received back to spoof@ebay.com. And all Paypal emails to spoof@paypal.com. Then go to your account and check to see if you have an issues that need to be addressed.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(journeyman)
09/09/06 11:22 AM
Re: eBay Payment Scammer new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:

Oh I did report that sucker. That was the conversation where the eBay dudette asked me if I wanted to relist the item. And she so kindly did it for me at 4:30a.m.

I never replied to him at all. I just did the live chat thingie with trust and safety on eBay. I felt that I wasn't going to dignify his scamming email with an answer in any way shape or manner.

If you check out that "member" - oluwakunle23 you will see that he is listed as No Longer A Registered User.

Garry

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/09/06 11:26 AM

Garry,

Good for you! You know, I have been working on the sales floor and got to thinking. Which is why I am back at my computer. Thinking is a dangerous thing for me to do

More often than not new sellers do not know what to look for in spoof emails. And some of the emails look so stinking real. I was wondering if we might out to use this thread you have started for posting some of the spoof emails. And tips on what to do or not do?

So what do ya think?

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(journeyman)
09/09/06 12:38 PM

Judy:

You're being on the sales floor is not so dangerous at all - it's a great idea. I'm sure every one of us around here have had some sort of scammer emails or contacts through eBay. It would be a good idea to post them

There are so many different types of scams going around that are specific to eBay and or PayPal that if we all got together we could post quite a few of them and almost make up a compendium of not only what to watch out for but also what we can do once we receive one of these scams.

Obviously the first thing to do is a DO NOT - and that is don't under any circumstances click on any link in the email. That has to be a primary rule for everyone.

The next should be never ever try to contact the sender of the email as they may well feel they have a fresh one on the hook and set up a never ending email relationship.

Enough of that for now But yes, you've got a great idea and all we need is to find a spot here on the board to place the thread.

Garry

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/09/06 12:48 PM
Re: eBay Payment Scammer [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

I think a thread would be helpful as well. And we have a spot. Right here! If the thread gets too big or we need a different subject, we'll just start another thread

Another thing to remember, Paypal or eBay will NEVER ask for your personal information in an email. NEVER> Neither will ever email and tell you something is wrong with your account and please verify, etc. They will not request your name, address, banking information, passwords, nothing.

If you want to see if there is something going on in respect to your eBay or Paypal account, go to the respective website and log into your account. Then you can address whatever issues you need to.

And if you are wondering if the email is legit or not, forward the entire email to:
spoof@ebay.com

Or paypal stuff to:
spoof@paypal.com

Judy/blue

alsorts
(newbie)
09/09/06 08:17 PM

Garry,

This is one of the biggest scams out there mostly for online classified ads. My son has developed a online classified website and on every page he has on there a link about this scam. What is suppose to happen in this scam is you get a realistic "Money Order" for more then the selling & shipping price. The seller, being honest, sends the item out and also sends a refund for the overpayment. Then you bring the "Money Order" to the bank, after a few days the bank notifies you to let you know the money order is a fake. Your out the item, the extra cash and have to give the bank the face value of the "Money Order". Meanwhile the buyer has disappeared. It is almost, always to someone overseas and the deal has to be done quickly. My son had a lady fall for this scam, she lost a motorcycle and money. She was notified when she signed up about this common scam but she figured it was a legitimate deal.

One nice thing about the way AW2K hands emails, if I see an email with html tags all over it, I'm 99.9% sure it's spam/scam.

Bob

Edited by Alsorts on 09/09/06 08:19 PM (server time).

AquilaStamps
(journeyman)
09/09/06 10:05 PM
Re: eBay Payment Scammer new [re: alsorts]  

Bob:

I'm sorry to hear about the lady with the motorcycle. This scam, in some ways, goes back to what all our mothers told us "If it sounds too good to be true ..."

These scammers also play on greed I think; at least to some extent. It is possible they are looking for the big ticket merchandise to resell and may feel that that the seller just might keep "the overage" in the money order. On a big item they don't care - they are not out any money anyway and they have what they want the big ticket item. And regardless of what the seller does everything is free for the scammer

Your son is doing everyone a huge favor bringing up this on his site. I'm sure he has saved a lot of people uncounted sums of money.

Garry

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/10/06 06:41 AM

HI,

That is terrible about the lady. It is cool Bob that your son takes the time to provide information against scams. Thanks for sharing the scam,

Since I have my son and his wife's permission, I will share one of the reasons I think sharing hre on the boards about spoof and scams is so very important.

This last week, our oldest twin son and his wife were victims of a spoof email. The result is the scammers accessed their personal and business bank accounts, literally cleaning out 100% of the funds including their business credit line. And no one at the bank noticed the 49+ drafts being accessed from and sent to Spain.

They received an email that looks so much like it came from Paypal it isn't even funny. Telling them someone had attempted to access their Paypal account. And Paypal had secured the account but in order for them to gain access to their account again, they needed to fill out the web-form and return it to Paypal. Then Paypal would send them a new password, etc. Of course, it was a scam. And we all know the links are no longer valid as the scammers have already shut down the website where they were located.

It has been a hard week for our kids.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(journeyman)
09/10/06 07:12 AM

Judy:

I'm so sorry this happened to your son and his wife. It seems as if we all know that scams and phishing emails are out there. However, when someone we know gets hurt the reality of how dangerous this stuff is just hits home very hard.

The work that is involved now for your kids is overwhelming - just in changing stuff. I'm sure you know this and so do your kids but I'll offer it anyway: they should contact all credit bureaus (Expireon etc) and tell them they have been the victims of a scammer. The bureaus will put a flag on their accounts at no charge to them. And it will continue for a specific period of time - I think it's six months but I may very well be wrong. At that end of that time period they can again reactivate it. A police report also makes good sense as the case number can be used when reporting to other companies what has happened.

Once again, I am so very sad that they have to go through this. This is a very concrete example of what happens when the low lifes of the world put their rotten heads together and come up with a way to steal every bit of money from anyone they want to. The worst part of it is that most of these cretins are never caught and can just continue doing it again and again.

Thanks for sharing and thanks to your kids for allowing you to tell what happened. This is a perfect example for this thread.

Garry

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads