Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 8425 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
02/21/07 00:06 AM
PayPal & eBay Security Key new  

Everyone:

About two weeks ago PayPal announced they would be using a Security Key for those who wanted to participate in a new program to help keep individual accounts secure. The idea was to issue to any PayPal account holder a Security Key that generated a six digit number every 30 to 60 seconds. This key would be specific to you the account holder. With this key you log onto your PayPal account in the usual way. You enter your user name and password. If this is correct you then press a button on your security key and it gives you a 6 digit number that you enter into the login form. You are then logged into PayPal with this new extra level of security. This key comes from VeriSign and is administered by them. So it may be used on other sights that use this VeriSign method of security. Scammers and Phishers that get your username and password obviously will be at a loss for the number as you have the key. This key also works for eBay.

My Key came today and it is very simple to use and it is a very good addition to the security measures in place with PayPal and eBay. I think it is a great idea and it isn't at all obtrusive. You get a different security code for every time you log in to your PayPal account. You can even carry the "key" on your key chain and there is supposed to be a way to log in if you don't have your key with you. My non-elegant method is to keep it in the drawer of the desk where I do all of my PayPal and eBay work.

I strongly urge every AW2K user to check this out. You can find out about it and you also may order a key by going to:

https://www.paypal.com/securitykey

When the key comes in the mail you simply log onto PayPal to register the key and it only takes a minute. They then offer you the choice of registering it with eBay.

Just thought everyone would like to hear about this if it is something you already haven't investigated. Maybe, just maybe, it will give the scammers and Phishers (pieces of trash that they are) a run for their money and maybe keep their stealing hands out of our accounts.

Garry

bluepennylady
(old hand)
02/25/07 12:08 PM
Re: PayPal & eBay Security Key new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

Your key arrived!! How cool. I read about it but haven't registered for mine yet. Hummmm, I need to get off my duff and get that done.

Now how in the world do you keep track of the last changing digit??

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
02/27/07 05:28 AM
Re: PayPal & eBay Security Key [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:
Yea, the key arrived and it's pretty neat. It's not all that large maybe 1 1/2" long by 3/4" wide. It could fit on a key chain if anyone wanted. Once you get it in the mail you go onto PayPal and register it. There is a serial number on the back of the device that they want you to give them. Once you do that it's all over. You're ready to use it. They also give you a choice to register it with eBay. I did that too.

To use it just log on as usual to eBay or PayPal. Enter user name and Passwork and click OK. (Same procedure for both sites). Then another screen pops up with a picture of the device and a place to type in the "Security Key". There is a small button on the device and a LCD display. Push the button and a six digit number is displayed for 60 seconds. You type in that number and you're logged on. This means that anyone who hacks your account isn't going to get the number right. The next time you log in you go through the same process but the number is different. Each time you press the button you get a new number. You cannot use the "old" number - so there is no remembering. It has an algorithm built in I would guess that is generating that number and is probably tied to the serial number of your device. It's all very easy and simple and actually I'm grateful for the added level of security - especially with all of the account stealing going on.

So it is a great idea. It is a device sold by VeriSign - it is not a PayPal - eBay only system. So any site that you are involved with that uses this system - you're all set. You just have to log on to that site and register your device serial number and you're ready for the extra level of security there also.

When you get yours I'm sure you wil like it. Oh also, there is a way to get into your account if your device is lost or broken. I'm not sure what they have you do but on each of the sites when you are asked for the security key number there is a choice for "lost or broken security device".

Garry

bluepennylady
(old hand)
02/27/07 05:32 AM

Garry,

that was my next question. What in the world do you do if you lose the key or if it is broken. That is a very good idea though. So when you log into eBay, you can also use the Security key as well???

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
02/27/07 05:41 AM
Re: PayPal & eBay Security Key new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:

Yes, it works with both PayPal and eBay. Same key same everyhthing. Just have to tell eBay you have it. I would suggest going through PayPal to get the key. Then first registering it on PayPal (when you get it). Once you register on PayPal the next option is to register it on eBay and it automatically takes you to an eBay Page. It's very easy with no problems. Just DOUBLE CHECK the serial number once you enter it. I'm pretty sure your security key that it generates is tied to that serial number. So if you give them a bad serial number it will deep denying you (I Think).

Oh another thing, you do not have to register it with eBay if you don't want to. It is just that PayPal gives you that option. Also it took about one week from requesting to having it arrive in the mail.

Garry

bluepennylady
(old hand)
02/27/07 05:59 AM

Garry,

I wondered how long it would take to get one. One week isn't bad considering how many they are most likely processing. And then the snail mail can take forever to delivery something

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
02/27/07 06:18 AM

Judy:

You're right one week wasn't bad at all. Also I'm not sure how many people are doing it just yet. You have to almost stumble on it in the PayPal site to even know about it. Also I've never seen any pleace on eBay that talks about it. That's why I originally posted the info about it here on the board. Figured that some may want to try it.

Garry

bluepennylady
(old hand)
02/27/07 08:50 AM

Garry,

I haven't seen it on eBay either. I did see it on Paypal recently when I was looking for other information. Now I just have to remember where I saw it

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
02/27/07 09:46 AM

Judy:
You can find the info on the security key by logging into your PayPal account and then paste this into your browser:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/general/PayPalSecurityKey

It's all the info on the security key and it has an order link. Hope it helps

Garry

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads