Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 54012 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/27/07 10:33 PM
Postage rate increases  

Hi, all,

The USPS has released the postage rate increases. There is a PDF file. Link is below. Oh joy higher shipping rates. buyers are gonna love this

http://pe.usps.com/RateCase2007/DMM300_PDF/RatesAndFees.pdf

Judy/blue

mikekrol
(stranger )
04/24/07 09:19 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hello,

Thanks for the link. We are ebay power sellers with over 500 store items and the new rates will effect more than our customers pocket book. Here is the situation. Because we use calculated shipping; domestic and international, it appears that we will have to mannually relist all items or use ebays bulk editor; as of date there bulk editor does not support international shipping. Anyone out there with a lot of store items and thoughts on how to proceed??? I have thought of changing all my store items to 30 day instead of gtc, make the calc shipping changes in AW . The advantage to me if there is one, is that I have store listings that used the old way of listing from AW( before API?) So please any thought comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/24/07 09:30 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: mikekrol]  

MIke,

The USPS changes are certainly the topic of discussion.

eBay has not yet released the API update. So no developers or programmers have access to any of the changes--yet. I don't know the exact date but I do know the warning returned by eBay now states certain USPS options will no longer be available after May 6. I am just guessing the API will be made available after that date so all the developers and programmers can make necessary coding changes.

I am not using any GTC store listings. Everything ends in 30 days. To make it easier to edit, here is what I plan to do. I will not be relisting store listings until the changes are released. I realize more store will be pulled down to bare minimum for a few days, but I do not wish to edit live auctions.

I will edit all the default shipping options for my Profiles. go to the grid view, change all the affected auction lots to any listing template in the HTML template manager. Then change the Listing template back to the new updated LIsting template which will have all the correct options.

It will work the same way if you have Auction profiles for 13 oz, 1 lb, 2 lb, 3 lb, etc shipping. Those will be super easy to change. Edit the default shipping, change the Listing template to anything in the Grid view and then change the Listing template back to the new updated Listing template.

I am sure others have ideas. And/or special problems as well which they will share. There are going to be those auction lots we will have to manually change the Shipping options for. But for the most part, changing the Listing template will work.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/24/07 10:43 AM

Mike,

Something else I failed to mention. You can always go to the Grid view, select records, right click and select "Change Shipping options" . Then you can edit the shipping options from that dialog box.

Judy/blue

mikekrol
(stranger )
04/24/07 11:52 AM

Judy,

Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards 30 day store iltems. From the domestic shipping prospective, the big thing will be making sure that my priority over 1 cubic foot has proper shipping dimensions when goimg to zones 5-8(Hawaii and Alaska regions) as a new dimension - weight rate will apply. My combined shipping rates and quotes will have to take into consideration box size for zones 5-8. I am stilll looking at my first class options. But think it should pose very little problem.

On international, this could be a blessing in disguise as we now will have flat rate box options. It is making me think through some of my packaging overseas. I would still like to see a magic bullet cure for the changes, however I am a realist.

Mike

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/24/07 12:10 PM

Mike,

Something you might think about doing, if you include the dimensions in the AW2K shipping options, the calculator will automatically include those variables in the shipping quote. Just like if you went to the USPS calculator, clicked box dimensions and weight then put in a zip code.

I am thrilled to see the Flat Rate boxes for International shipping. As well as the ability to track packages shipped Priority Mail International.

We are going to have to re-think offering Parcel Post as the charges for those packages will be obtained using dimensional weight. And in theory, could easily be higher than Priority. We are seriously considering removing the Parcel option all together.

Good thing, the changes force all sellers to look at their auction listings. I just hope buyers are paying attention that the USPS rates are increasing. And don't get hopping mad when they see the charges.

Judy/blue

Ned
(newbie)
05/08/07 09:14 AM

Yesterday I went to a presentation at a PO distribution center. I was surprised that only 7 people had signed up, and even more that I was the only one who showed up.

Not just higher rates, but changing definitions.

Before May 14, the postage on US First Class mail was the same rate no matter the container (envelope or box). That's changed. The new structure has different rates for First Class envelopes, large envelopes, and parcels.

The postal service has also recognized UPS's wisdom of tying the cost to both the weight and size. There will be more than just normal, oversize, and balloon rates.

If you consistently ship using the same or just a few different sizes of containers, it may be worth your while to review them with the Post Office Mail Piece Design people. It could be cheaper overall for you to change from shipping in a padded envelope to a box--that's possibly my case.

International postal shipping will be simplified.

The post office apparently "hasn't decided" some rate questions, with less than a week to go.

Ned

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/08/07 09:25 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

Our Post Office employees here have not even been to training yet. They cannot address our questions. Post Master said it would be after Wednesday before they receive any training.

I certainly wish there was a conference, seminar or anything close by here as my shipping staff and I would most certainly attend.

We are in the process of re-thinking all our shipping. We allow the buyer to choose between three methods both Domestic and International. But with the dimensional weight becoming a factor for Parcel Post, those packages could easily be more expensive than Priority shipping. Especially for the buyers who wish to combine shipping on a large order. Which happens frequently here.

We are use to measuring boxes for the UPS. It will get some getting use to for the USPS. I have to make new charts for all the staff.

All of our First Class mail is parcel First Class. Nothing is the Flat envelope which makes it easier somewhat.

Now to finish reading the huge 121 page manual that even the Postal employees dont' understand

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/09/07 05:19 AM

Judy & Ned:

I know this link isn't maybe the best of all possible resources but the USPS has a web area that does a pretty good job of explaining the new size & weight rates. If you go to:

http://www.usps.com/ratecase/

There is a lot of information there. Several pages have some good descriptions and explainations of how to go about making sure you stay in the lower rate. Except it's pretty difficult to FOLD a 5 Foot Rake handle to fit into an envelope for a cheaper rate. LOL

Locally they are doing training classes at the main postal center but they are $250.00 per person. I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon. That's a LOT of postage.

Garry

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/09/07 07:01 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

Around here the Postal employees have not even been trained yet. Well as of Monday they had not been. Training starts today, Wednesday. But so far no one is offering classes etc. I wish they would except $250.00 per person is steep.

Thanks for the link!

Judy/blue

Ned
(journeyman)
05/09/07 08:46 AM

In reply to:

training classes at the main postal center but they are $250.00 per person

Wow. The 2-hour session I attended was free. And since I was the only one who showed up, personal too.

Paying a government office to find out how to deal with them. Argh.

Ned

mikekrol
(stranger )
05/09/07 08:47 AM

Tonight is our local Ebay meeting. While there are some concerns about rates, there might be some over reaction. I have been testing Ebays selling manager and it works great for international. As far as domestic, where do I edit pkg size for priority mail for zones 5-8?? (remember the 1 cubic foot) I do not think Ebay has completely updated this in Selling Manager

But my best friend AW may have the answer at least for new listings. Please tell me if I am correct.. I am listing today 5/9. The international calc in AW is just wonderfull. For domestic pkgs going Priority to zones 5-8 over 1 cubic foot dimensions, I simply put package dimensions in Aw listing software and I am done.

Perhaps with the many items I have in the store, I should consider using Selling manager features on ebay and AW to complete transition.

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/09/07 08:49 AM

Ned,

That is my thought exactly. Why should anyone have to pay the USPS for classes to help us understand how they are changing their own mail. I can tell you that our Postal employees here are completely confused. So we will all be learning together.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/09/07 08:59 AM

Mike,

As long as you use the USPS Priority boxes. you do not need to worry about the One cubic foot as all Priority boxes are under the one cubic foot.

It is a good idea to include the box dimensions in AW2000 when listing as those dimensions come into play when the buyer uses the calculator. Including the package dimensions will give the correct calculations at the shipping calculator level.

If you want to be double sure and so you are more comfortable. List only one Auction lot using the dimensions, then go to the calculator in the listing and check for a rate to somewhere across the country or to Alaska. See how it matches up with the USPS website.

AW2000 just released a program update, (in case you didn't see it) for the changes. I already tried listing using the new services, They all failed I knew they would but had to try anyway

You can easily edit all the Shipping options in AW2000 more than one way. If you have defaults for your Auction profiles, edit the Shipping defaults, then in the Grid view, highlight all the Auction lot records you want to change. Right click and select "Change Listing template" Change the template to anything, then change the template back to the correct listing template and all the Shipping options will change accordingly.

You can also select records in the Grid View, Right click and select Change shipping options. The shipping option dialog box appears so you can enter in all the new values you want.

Does that help??

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/09/07 10:34 AM

Judy:
I'm surprised, 'cause here in the middle of the third world our postal clerks have had all of their training already. Strange how the Postal Service decides to do training. I'm very lucky in that the Post Office I use is very good - they have fantastic clerks. Well, there is one that maybe needs a lot of help. But on the whole the service and level of knowledge at this particular office is very good.

As far as the $250.00 goes - I got the invitation and then read the amount due and figured no way. At that time is when I started searching their DMM site looking for information and that's how I found the link. $250 is just too much.

Garry

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/09/07 10:39 AM

Garry,

I don't live in a third world Why I live in Mayberry RFD. Everyone knows each other, is related or something. The Post Master just got back from training. The others go today and tomorrow. I will have to say though, all our Postal workers here are absolutely wonderful. They really are.

I am with you. $250.00 is way too much!

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/09/07 10:52 AM

Ned:

I know I thought $250.00 was a wee tad too expensive. But you really lucked out - free and personalized. You will probably never ever get a freebie such as that ever again from the government.

Garry

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/09/07 01:51 PM

Mike,

I did some more checking today on eBay. Something you might look into.

The Mass Listing Editor is now updated to accommodate editing calculated shipping service options as well as Flat rate service and cost. It didn't do that a week ago as I have been testing it for days.

I'll make a post on another thread with all the specifics.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
05/10/07 00:53 AM

I haven't read all the posts in this thread yet, but this:

"For domestic pkgs going Priority to zones 5-8 over 1 cubic foot dimensions, I simply put package dimensions in Aw listing software and I am done."

....just makes me wanna cry!

Are you saying that when we are entering the shipping details, we have to enter the size of the box we will use? I can't do that. I sell antiques of all shapes and sizes. I have only the foggiest notion of what box I'll use when I get ready to pack something. And when I list with Priority and Parcel Post options, I can't possibly know ahead of time what box I'll use for PP. The decision gets made when I go downstairs to my shipping station and start looking for the perfect box.

Every day, I "build" little boxes from cardboard and sheet styrofoam and insert them into large manila envelopes (it's a fast, easy way to ship little things like jewelry, toys, trinkets). I have four sizes of envelopes. Apparently, now I'll have to know in advance what size I'll use. Nearly impossible!!!

I think it's time to pack all my remaining stock back up into the attic and start selling big-screen tvs. I feel so crushed by this. I thought I was so smart printing out my new postage cheat sheet and being all ready for next week. Hah! The dirty little secret of "Shape Matters" was as yet unknown to me. I just taught my long-distance daughter to eBay using AW. I've been telling her how great it is that First Class rates were going down significantly (I've discussed the new rates with the clerks at me PO -- they have no clue about this shape/size thing!), and that many fairly lightweight books, for example, could be shipped cheaper and faster via First Class instead of Media Mail. Hah! again.

Sometimes, I take 10 or more of these various-sized envelope-packages to the counter, all going First Class. All the clerk has to do is weigh them. Next week, they'll have to also measure each one??? The customers behind me in line will be glaring at anyone with assorted envelopes and small boxes. There's a guy who comes in about once a week (I'm certain he's an eBayer) and ships scores of small packages in assorted shapes and sizes. As it is, his order takes 20-30 minutes. I can't imagine how long it's going to take next week.

I just read this: "Flats (large envelopes) have to be flexible and even in thickness." The envelopes I ship are all sorts of thicknesses or are thin but made rigid with cardboard inserts. Please tell me I'm misunderstanding this, because if not, how on earth do we ship fragile, old paper things without making the envelopes inflexible? Or will they just add surcharges to these?

Sue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/10/07 04:52 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

Unfortunately, size does matter a great deal now. First Class has more than one charge. Basically there is First Class Flat (envelope/letters) and First Class Parcel, which is anything that is 3/4 inch thick. OR envelopes that are not consistent in thickness or shape.

I am like you. We do not know the box until we build it either. But we are going to use the dimensions anyway. We are measuring the size of the item and adding x inches on each dimension for packaging and the box.

Just so you will know, eBay's calculator has a bug in it right now. As of this morning, it is still not corrected. First Class is not showing up if you use the dimension field. And dimension is the only way the calculator can tell the difference between a letter or a first class parcel.

The First Class parcel issue isn't that difficult though. FCP is $1.13 for the first ounce and .17 for every ounce after up to the 13 ounce ceiling. There is an additional .17 surcharge for non-machinable parcels. So it is relatively easy to figure out. Now if eBay will just fix the calculator.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/10/07 08:02 AM

Sue,

Now I know you are going to find this extremely difficult to believe---

but it would appear the eBay techs may have supplied incorrect information concerning how the calculator differentiates between letter and a First Class parcel. The techs told me a seller MUST include the package dimensions. Otherwise the calculator thinks it is a letter. And in fact the shipping calculators are experiencing an intermittent bug with the dimensions.

SOOO, I got this brain storm to test their theory in their environment. I used Sell Your Item 3 form. And guess what, there is absolutely no way to add the package dimensions for First Class. In fact, you really need to use their Shipping Wizard to get to the First Class parcel.

AND furthermore, using the AW2000 package size field value of "Package (large envelope)" , causes the Auction lot to be listed correctly as a First Class Parcel displaying the appropriate shipping charge. I listed a couple of items using just the package size field value "Package (large envelope)" early this morning and omitted the package size, First Class Parcel rate is what appears.

I swear, sometimes, those folks don't know which side is up. I am ever so ever glad Thom knows what he is doing. Can you imagine having to deal with eBay tech support on daily issues and trying to run your Auction business?? Yes I can imagine. I tried it,,,once,,, for a couple of weeks. Was not the least bit impressed!!

Judy/blue

Ned
(journeyman)
05/10/07 08:05 AM

Sue,

Even though you ship a wide range of things, my guess is that you could choose a few Sue-standard box sizes that would cover say 75-90% of what you do. Unlike large-volume shippers, getting the absolute optimal packaging doesn't matter as much to us as our sanity and a desire for a limited box inventory.

While we're all anxious about the rate and service changes, it's just because it's new and unknown. Figure it out once, and life should get back to normal.

I recently sold a batch of stuff of all shapes and sizes. Most fit in one of my 8" cubes. Some items were in the center and 3" away from the edges of the box. So what? I chose the 8" cube so I wouldn't have to trim 4x6 labels, or wrap them around. There are three other Ned-standard stock sizes of box and two sizes of padded envelope right now, ones that I buy in bundles or cases.

It seems to me that shippers who "recycle" shipping boxes may want to rethink that policy. When you have both odd-size goods and an assortment of odd-sized boxes, you complicate your packing decision. Time is money.

If you're going to use new boxes, then you really should buy'em by the bundle--and I don't mean a 3-pack at Staples. If you don't have a packaging company nearby, U-Line, Associated Bag, and a bunch of others would be happy to help. Boxes are radically cheaper in 25 unit bundles. Padded envelopes too.

I have a "local" (only 40 miles away) box company. I buy some of my boxes there, and all of my bubble wrap, since shipping on a 2-foot wide, 4-foot diameter roll is a killer.

Don't forget that the US Post Office offers free Priority Mail boxes, in a variety of sizes, online to eBayers. There's one additional size of flat-rate box, and 3 or 4 other sizes. Give them up to two weeks to get your order to you--they don't have a very efficient distribution system.

If you're selling on Half.com, it is imperative that you buy packaging in bulk. You cannot buy packaging at retail without your total shipping cost going above Half.com's shipping allowance. One fairly cheap source for padded envelopes is the Linton Company out of Georgia.

Even when selling onesies, I think it's important to have in advance some idea of how you're going to ship it, which is to say, weighing and measuring is part of the pre-listing activity for me. You're going to have to do this anyway, the only question is when in the process. If you're like Judy, with a significant number of multi-item shipments, this might be wasted time, but not if you think you'll probably ship items individually.

You might want to look at "Vari" boxes, the ones that can be folded to different heights (for instance, a 12x15 that can be folded to 12, 9, or 6 inches high). You can make your own vari boxes with a $15-20 carton sizing tool that lets you adjust just about any carton.

There are two downsides to keeping a real packaging inventory on hand: you're tying up capital and you need space. Kinda makes me envious of Judy, who can apparently just put "another warehouse" on her husband's to do list.

Ned

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/10/07 08:14 AM

Ned,

When we enter in Inventory Items, the item is weighed. The unpacked weight is recorded in "Notes" If the item is already in a box, the original box size is recorded there as well.

If we are working with quantities, the first time the item is actually packaged for shipping, the packaged weight as well as the final box size is added to the "Notes" as well. After a while, we can look at any item and have a pretty good idea of what it will weigh packaged as well as how big of a box it will take.

And uhhh, we did just get another warehouse facility Need that like we need another hole in the head.

Something else to consider for acquiring boxes, keep an eye out for business that are Going out of business, Especially manufacturers. They almost always have boxes and piles of them. In all honesty, that is where we get most of our regular plain boxes. They are dog cheap that way as they have to be moved from the facility when they are liquidating. And boxes become a problem at that point. Dale just bought an entire semi load not too long ago. We sell off the ones we do not necessarily want or need. The rest go up on the top pallet racks or into a storage trailer. Keep in mind, we use boxes all the time for packing up inventory when we are moving stores.

Although you all may not want that many boxes, you can pick up the stacks like Ned is talking about in smaller lots.

And I am with you Ned, We are going to have to re-do some of the manner we have been shipping in just to stay away from the Parcel Dimensional weight issue. I suspect we will increase our UPS shipping.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/10/07 08:48 AM

Ned:
You described what I was going to talk about and did it a LOT better than I could. One other source of inexpensive flat boxes are the U-Store-It places. They have several standard sizes and will sell them in various sized bundles. Even though I have Garry-standard shipping supplies I don't buy them in limited numbers either. I have all my envelopes preprinted with return address and "advertising" on them and so they are all neatly boxed on the shelf in the closet. I spend the extra buck or two and purchase all of those envelopes in 28# Kraft. It turns out they are a lot sturdier and also they are distinctive so when they arrive my repeat customer recognizes my stuff right away. In my case there are really only three sizes of envelopes. Then there are boxes that are sometimes used. I purchased a bundle of 50 standard boxes and use a case knive to cut them down if I have to resize them slightly. What I have going for me is that I don't have a great deal of odd size material to ship. But you are right on the nail with not fooling with recycling boxes. The recycled boxes that I do use are liquor boxes as they are much heavier and I can use them for perfectaly packing stamp albums. However, recycling boxes can be more time consuming and now with the new postal regulations extra work just listing an item.

One suggestion for half.com - purchase a roll of corrugated paper. It is almost as thick as a cardboard box but not quite. It comes in a roll. Just cut off a length of the stuff wrap the book in it. Securely tape the cut edge staple shut the two ends slap on a label and you're ready to go. The book is well packed and it is safe. If you don't have a heavy duty stapler just staple and then tape shut the ends. It makes for a very nice looking package and is so easy to ship a book. My neighbor who worked at Walden Books gave me that tip and it was well worth it.

Garry

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/10/07 09:06 AM

Garry,

OHHHH< I like the corrugated paper idea!! I will go tell my shipping lady about that. I think I have some of that on the sales floor. If do, it goes to shipping!!

Judy/blue

Ned
(journeyman)
05/10/07 09:19 AM

Garry,

In reply to:

U-Store-It places. They have several standard sizes and will sell them in various sized bundles.

Right Garry. U-Store-It and U-Haul Moving Centers are good places to go if you need only one or a few larger boxes. Cheaper than Office Depot. But not as cheap as by the bunde from a box company.

In reply to:

I have all my envelopes preprinted with return address and "advertising" on them and so they are all neatly boxed on the shelf in the closet. I spend the extra buck or two and purchase all of those envelopes in 28# Kraft. It turns out they are a lot sturdier and also they are distinctive so when they arrive my repeat customer recognizes my stuff right away.

A lot of people don't seem to worry about a business-like appearance for their package, but I think it's important. I know one eBayer in town who goes dumpster-diving in the recycling bin for boxes, and then spends 5 minutes and a quarter's worth of tape making each of them (barely) usable. Usable they may be, but they still look really cheesy. Worse was the packaging of something I bought on eBay: A Priority Mail box carefully covered in wrong-side-out Christmas wrap so the seller could steal the free box and send it Parcel Post. Bad, bad!

In reply to:

One suggestion for half.com - purchase a roll of corrugated paper... It makes for a very nice looking package and is so easy to ship a book.

Good idea, but I'd run it past the Post Office first. There are also "book folder" boxes that are squarer and may be more to the PO's taste.

Ned

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/10/07 07:25 PM

Judy:
The corrugated paper make a very nice package. It's easy to make and as a result it is also strong and pretty damage proof. The customers love it - it looks so professional. The best part is that it is inexpensive. And if you have any left over it's great for school science projects. .

Once wrapped you end up with a flat portion on either edge of the book (Where you staple/tape) and then a "lump" all nice and smooth and even where the book is. Making the book securely wrapped and not adding a great deal to weight.

check out this URL for a step by step guide

http://www.aquilastamps.com/bookwrapping.html

Garry

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/10/07 08:28 PM

Ned:
Thanks for the comments and added suggestions. The only reason I mentioned the U-Store it is that at least here they will sell in either single boxes or bundles of 25 or 50 or 100. Next step up I think is a pallet with 500. I thought their pricing was competitive. I used to do business (in another life) with a box converter who made boxes (skids of 1000) and shipped them flat to the purchaser. However, their price was even more than the U-Store it. The reason, I think, that the UJ-store it is fairly inexpensive is that they are selling in hopes you will be using the boxes to fill with stuff you are planning on storing in their units.

As far as the corrugated wrapping of books - it is approved with the Postal service. I did check way back when I was starting to use that method and there was no problem. Commercial book sellers ship that way so I was sure even before asking that there would not be a problem. But as you suggest it still is prudent to check with your local Post Office. You can quote them the DMM if you need to. If you want let me know and I'll get the DMM citing on that type of package.

I have always thought that it is best to make sure packaging is neat clean and attractive. That's why the 6 3/4, #10, and Monarch envelopes are carefully designed and then printed by a local printer. Even the stuffers I use in those envelopes are new clean chipboard cut to size by the same printer. The cards and glassine envelopes I use to enclose the stamps are also printed.

The only envelopes I use that aren't printed are of course the Padded Ones. I changed that by using the 8 1/2 x 11 two part pealable label. I buy those in bulk also. Once I get them I have a design that stays clear of the FCM lable and tracking infor that comes from USPS Shipping Assistant 3.0. I run all of the labels through the label printer and that puts on the "advertising" and then they are printed with name and address and tracking barcode as needed. Makes for a fairly attractive package and is more than just an impersonal label/package.

I receive occasional comments on the shipping materials and how happy the customer is that everything arrived safely, unbent and without any harm to the contents. The look of the package is very important. It lets the customer see that you are trying to be efficient and business like. The cost to do this is really minimal and comes out in the wash in the postage charge.

I've put up a "tutorial" of sorts that may help explain the wrapping with the rolled paper also called B-Flute. Go to:

http://www.aquilastamps.com/bookwrapping.html

Again, thanks for the feedback. Also hope some of this helps.

Garry

Ned
(journeyman)
05/20/07 10:30 AM

Garry--

Many thanks for an excellent book wrapping tutorial.

Ned

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/20/07 11:53 AM

Ned:

You're more than welcome. It's a great way to wrap any kind of book regardlesss of size or shape. The book is well protected and the system is foolproof, fast, and inexpensive.

Garry

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
05/28/07 01:36 PM

310 views of this thread!

I've gotten over the punch-to-the-stomach feeling; now I'm just numb. I do sincerely appreciate the information and words of encouragement from Ned, Judy, and Garry. I have come to the realization that most of what I ship in manila envelopes or small boxes will go First Class Parcel, and I've adjusted my shipping rates (have the shoppers/bidders adjusted their willingness to pay too much for shipping?).

Today, I have a question about Priority......

Let's say I'm shipping something in a 16 x 16 x 12 box which will weigh only 5 pounds. The PO still defines a "Large Package" as over 84" in length plus girth, which my example isn't, but they've added the following: "Also use Large Package for packages more than 1 cubic foot."

For 5 pounds in a box under a cubic foot, the coast-to-coast cost would be $15.85 (which right there is crazy too much, but oh well!). For my large box, the price would be $31.25 (and by the way, making it 20 pounds adds only about $3.00 to the cost. Also by the way, for the same package, UPS would be $12.56. Seems like the USPS is pricing itself into extinction). In every scenario I've tried, using near and far zips, the cost about doubles for my large-box example.

Does the eBay shipping calculator, as supported by AW, assume we're always going to be using Priority boxes, which are all under a cubic foot? The Dimensions fields in the Domestic Shipping section are only for UPS, right? Or do they now also figure in when only Priority is selected? Maybe Thom just needs to edit out the phrase, "required for UPS services" -- ???

Judy wrote: "It is a good idea to include the box dimensions in AW2000 when listing as those dimensions come into play when the buyer uses the calculator. Including the package dimensions will give the correct calculations at the shipping calculator level."

This actually works?? You enter the box size, and even if you've indicated only the Priority option, the auction calculator will show the Large Package prices?

Thanks, Sue (not kicking back as Judy urged us to do on this Memorial Day; working as always; I've forgotten how to relax)

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/28/07 02:29 PM

Sue,

I have a confession. I have not kicked back today either. I cleaned my entire barn including four stalls. Bathed three horses, clipped and groomed. Put out hay in the managers in corrals. Mowed entire lawn. Did laundry, cleaned house. mopped floors. answered AW2000 questions, listed some BIN. I won't go on. So I didn't follow my own advice

If your package is over a cubic foot, you should elect the Oversize 1 and include the dimensions in Aw2000.

The 84 inches is for parcel packages not Priority. Priority is dimensional weight. So you take the box size all three dimensions x each other. If the sum is greater than 1728, then divide by 194 and that gives you the dimensional weight you use to determine the shipping cost.

Parcel Post packages are determined to be oversize if the length, plus girth plus height is over 84 inches.

Your 16 x 16 x 12 box is 3072 inches. Divide 3072 by 194 for a total of 15.83. Which must be rounded up to the next pound to 16 lbs. So when calculating shipping you would use the 16 lbs as the weight factor to the zip code of buyer. Does that make any sense at all??

None of the Priority boxes provided by the USPS are over a cubic foot. There is one box but it isn't Priority and its name escapes me at the moment.

Does that help at all or did I completely confuse everything??

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
05/29/07 01:08 AM

I think we should all be paying YOU (Judy/blue) for what is probably a better tutorial than the Pest Office could ever present.

I listed a thing tonight that will need a box larger than a cubic foot. I used the formula (which I already knew about, but for some reason, was just resisting -- resenting having to learn new stuff, I guess), and I got exactly the right result in the auction.

The main thing I learned from you, Judy, was that I needed to select the Oversize 1 and to enter the dimensions. I had thought that was only for UPS. I still hate that I have to predict the box size up front, and I need to do some more trial runs at the USPS calculator to see how varying the dimensions changes the cost (like, is there an impact if the size increases by an inch, a couple inches?), but it's gratifying to know the result in the auction was right on.

I wonder if anyone has come up with a chart (but it'd have to be three-dimensional -- some kind of geometric chart, like a CAD thing) where you can pick the width on one axis, the length on the other axis, then plug in the height, and where they all intersect, there's the DIM weight (the numbers at the intersections would already be divided by 194 and rounded up). You could do this with Excel, but you'd have to have a different chart (worksheet) for each height, or maybe you could just pick a few common heights and do all the most likely widths and lengths for each of them. Then you could "roam around" on the chart and see if you could get into the next lower weight increment by selecting a slightly smaller box, or vice-versa, stay in the same DIM weight with a slightly larger box.

I made a chart for all boxes 12" tall. You omit lengths/widths below, say, 6 inches, so the top row (x) and the left column (y) are numbered 7" through 20" (seldom ship boxes over 20" in any dimension). Then picking a box 15" x 18", you enter the following formula in the intersecting cell: =((J1*A13)*12)/194, where J is the location of 15" (because the number series begins with 7, not 1), and A13 is the location of 18". The result in the intersecting cell is 16.7 which is 15" x 18" x 12" divided by 194. Now, if I knew how to get Excel to round up the result of a calculation....... I also don't know how to copy a formula down a row and NOT have Excel raise the x-axis figure by one each time, so I'm changing the formula for each cell and copy-pasting it in, and then rounding the results "manually" (does the PO always round up, even if the result is something like 12.1?), but you can see that rounding creates clusters of results. For example, you pay the 13-pound rate for 12-inch boxes that are either 15 x 13, 16 x 13, 14 x 14, or 15 x 14. Have I put you to sleep yet? LOL. Anyway, someone should do this. I nominate anyone other than me.

Ok, now, the horses. You have horses?? How do you do so much stuff? And you cleaned the house, too? (I, uh, dust-busted a little. Groan). Are there actually three of you? Did you apply for and get granted some of those extra hours in the day I heard about?

Sue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/29/07 09:05 AM

Sue,

A chart, humm now that is a good idea. Maybe Garry will come up with something. That guy is quite talented with charts and layout kind of stuff. He has sent me some really good documents he made up for quick references. Whine a little to him and I bet he'll send them to you

Yes I have horses. I have two Paints. One just turned 19. I have had him since he was three. He has carried me umpteen miles and is my best animal friend. I have a four year old I have been breaking. But he fell a month ago and got hurt. Still hasn't healed up enough to ride again. So I am just doing ground work with him and teaching him to stand still when clipping him. The booger is big and if he puts his head up in the air to get away from the clippers, I need a step ladder to reach him. Gotta keep that head down little guy.

I wish I did know how to make more time. I just move at the speed of light so it looks like I get more done. What I didn't tell you is the laundry is washed and dried, but not all folded. And what's folded isn't all put away yet. I'll do that tonight after dark. And after taking the grandkids riding with me. My husband has a mule. So I ride my older horse and pony the mule packing a couple of grandkids. Takes a while to give seven grandkids rides. But we get it done If I was rich and didn't work, I would horseback ride and swim all of the time. As it is, only get to go when I can squeeze it in.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/30/07 06:30 AM

Judy/Sue

Even without a lot of whining I'd be happy to send the stuff. Just let me know if you want the information and an email address. I'll send them along.

If there is other interest I will post them on my website and just put a link here - it would be easier that way I guess. So anyone that wants can just go get the information.

Judy I'm glad there was some useful info there for you. The new rates appear to be really complicated but once the light turns on it's not so bad. It's just trying to get the darn light switch to work.

Garry

Ned
(journeyman)
05/30/07 07:27 AM

Has anyone tried this board's ability to attach a file to a post? That may be a good way to distribute docs like this.

Ned

moonstruck22
(journeyman)
05/30/07 07:27 AM

Garry,

I would like to see the "postal rate chart dealie". Are you going to post that on your site too??

Thanks,

Marty

Ned
(journeyman)
05/30/07 08:14 AM

In reply to:

Has anyone tried this board's ability to attach a file to a post? That may be a good way to distribute docs like this.

I was going to attach Garry's doc to this message. Unfortunately, it's 966K (not an unreasonable size), but the board's (suggested? enforced?) limit is 50K. The file is so much larger than the limit that I didn't try attaching it.

Ned

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/30/07 09:01 AM

Ned,

Actually there is something in the works for distributing documents on the boards. Can't say what. but there is a really nifty thing in the mill or works or whatever you call it

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/30/07 09:03 AM

Garry,

But I knew if we whined just a little tiny bit, we would lure you out of the dark into the light for us And it worked!!!

Am I bad or what.

Yes the stuff you sent to me has been super helpful. Plus you just have this advertisers magazine newspaper layout eye for that kind of stuff. I wonder why

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/30/07 04:57 PM

Judy:
LOL - well "real" whining makes my ears bleed - and so far no bleeding. So I don't consider it whining at all. That that aside - I've put a few of the dealies up on my website so anyone can check them out and, if interested, save the document to their computer.

The address is:
http://www.aquilastamps.com/downloads/miscinfo.html

hope there is something helpful. I have a few other things available that I've used. I can put them up also if interested.

Garry

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/30/07 05:00 PM

Ned:
I've tried it and even with a file smaller than the restricted size it just didn't show up. That was well over a year ago so it may have been fixed I'm not sure.

Garry

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/30/07 05:03 PM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty:
I can send it to your email address if you wish (the file is a PDF) and I've put a link on my website for it. You can view it and if it is what you want you can then download it. The web link is:

http://www.aquilastamps.com/downloads/miscinfo.html

Hope that helps. Just let me know if you want it emailed.

Garry

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads