Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 53927 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Ned
(journeyman)
05/09/07 08:46 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: AquilaStamps]  

In reply to:

training classes at the main postal center but they are $250.00 per person

Wow. The 2-hour session I attended was free. And since I was the only one who showed up, personal too.

Paying a government office to find out how to deal with them. Argh.

Ned

mikekrol
(stranger )
05/09/07 08:47 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: bluepennylady]  

Tonight is our local Ebay meeting. While there are some concerns about rates, there might be some over reaction. I have been testing Ebays selling manager and it works great for international. As far as domestic, where do I edit pkg size for priority mail for zones 5-8?? (remember the 1 cubic foot) I do not think Ebay has completely updated this in Selling Manager

But my best friend AW may have the answer at least for new listings. Please tell me if I am correct.. I am listing today 5/9. The international calc in AW is just wonderfull. For domestic pkgs going Priority to zones 5-8 over 1 cubic foot dimensions, I simply put package dimensions in Aw listing software and I am done.

Perhaps with the many items I have in the store, I should consider using Selling manager features on ebay and AW to complete transition.

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/09/07 08:49 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

That is my thought exactly. Why should anyone have to pay the USPS for classes to help us understand how they are changing their own mail. I can tell you that our Postal employees here are completely confused. So we will all be learning together.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/09/07 08:59 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: mikekrol]  

Mike,

As long as you use the USPS Priority boxes. you do not need to worry about the One cubic foot as all Priority boxes are under the one cubic foot.

It is a good idea to include the box dimensions in AW2000 when listing as those dimensions come into play when the buyer uses the calculator. Including the package dimensions will give the correct calculations at the shipping calculator level.

If you want to be double sure and so you are more comfortable. List only one Auction lot using the dimensions, then go to the calculator in the listing and check for a rate to somewhere across the country or to Alaska. See how it matches up with the USPS website.

AW2000 just released a program update, (in case you didn't see it) for the changes. I already tried listing using the new services, They all failed I knew they would but had to try anyway

You can easily edit all the Shipping options in AW2000 more than one way. If you have defaults for your Auction profiles, edit the Shipping defaults, then in the Grid view, highlight all the Auction lot records you want to change. Right click and select "Change Listing template" Change the template to anything, then change the template back to the correct listing template and all the Shipping options will change accordingly.

You can also select records in the Grid View, Right click and select Change shipping options. The shipping option dialog box appears so you can enter in all the new values you want.

Does that help??

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/09/07 10:34 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:
I'm surprised, 'cause here in the middle of the third world our postal clerks have had all of their training already. Strange how the Postal Service decides to do training. I'm very lucky in that the Post Office I use is very good - they have fantastic clerks. Well, there is one that maybe needs a lot of help. But on the whole the service and level of knowledge at this particular office is very good.

As far as the $250.00 goes - I got the invitation and then read the amount due and figured no way. At that time is when I started searching their DMM site looking for information and that's how I found the link. $250 is just too much.

Garry

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/09/07 10:39 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

I don't live in a third world Why I live in Mayberry RFD. Everyone knows each other, is related or something. The Post Master just got back from training. The others go today and tomorrow. I will have to say though, all our Postal workers here are absolutely wonderful. They really are.

I am with you. $250.00 is way too much!

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/09/07 10:52 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: Ned]  

Ned:

I know I thought $250.00 was a wee tad too expensive. But you really lucked out - free and personalized. You will probably never ever get a freebie such as that ever again from the government.

Garry

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/09/07 01:51 PM

Mike,

I did some more checking today on eBay. Something you might look into.

The Mass Listing Editor is now updated to accommodate editing calculated shipping service options as well as Flat rate service and cost. It didn't do that a week ago as I have been testing it for days.

I'll make a post on another thread with all the specifics.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
05/10/07 00:53 AM

I haven't read all the posts in this thread yet, but this:

"For domestic pkgs going Priority to zones 5-8 over 1 cubic foot dimensions, I simply put package dimensions in Aw listing software and I am done."

....just makes me wanna cry!

Are you saying that when we are entering the shipping details, we have to enter the size of the box we will use? I can't do that. I sell antiques of all shapes and sizes. I have only the foggiest notion of what box I'll use when I get ready to pack something. And when I list with Priority and Parcel Post options, I can't possibly know ahead of time what box I'll use for PP. The decision gets made when I go downstairs to my shipping station and start looking for the perfect box.

Every day, I "build" little boxes from cardboard and sheet styrofoam and insert them into large manila envelopes (it's a fast, easy way to ship little things like jewelry, toys, trinkets). I have four sizes of envelopes. Apparently, now I'll have to know in advance what size I'll use. Nearly impossible!!!

I think it's time to pack all my remaining stock back up into the attic and start selling big-screen tvs. I feel so crushed by this. I thought I was so smart printing out my new postage cheat sheet and being all ready for next week. Hah! The dirty little secret of "Shape Matters" was as yet unknown to me. I just taught my long-distance daughter to eBay using AW. I've been telling her how great it is that First Class rates were going down significantly (I've discussed the new rates with the clerks at me PO -- they have no clue about this shape/size thing!), and that many fairly lightweight books, for example, could be shipped cheaper and faster via First Class instead of Media Mail. Hah! again.

Sometimes, I take 10 or more of these various-sized envelope-packages to the counter, all going First Class. All the clerk has to do is weigh them. Next week, they'll have to also measure each one??? The customers behind me in line will be glaring at anyone with assorted envelopes and small boxes. There's a guy who comes in about once a week (I'm certain he's an eBayer) and ships scores of small packages in assorted shapes and sizes. As it is, his order takes 20-30 minutes. I can't imagine how long it's going to take next week.

I just read this: "Flats (large envelopes) have to be flexible and even in thickness." The envelopes I ship are all sorts of thicknesses or are thin but made rigid with cardboard inserts. Please tell me I'm misunderstanding this, because if not, how on earth do we ship fragile, old paper things without making the envelopes inflexible? Or will they just add surcharges to these?

Sue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/10/07 04:52 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

Unfortunately, size does matter a great deal now. First Class has more than one charge. Basically there is First Class Flat (envelope/letters) and First Class Parcel, which is anything that is 3/4 inch thick. OR envelopes that are not consistent in thickness or shape.

I am like you. We do not know the box until we build it either. But we are going to use the dimensions anyway. We are measuring the size of the item and adding x inches on each dimension for packaging and the box.

Just so you will know, eBay's calculator has a bug in it right now. As of this morning, it is still not corrected. First Class is not showing up if you use the dimension field. And dimension is the only way the calculator can tell the difference between a letter or a first class parcel.

The First Class parcel issue isn't that difficult though. FCP is $1.13 for the first ounce and .17 for every ounce after up to the 13 ounce ceiling. There is an additional .17 surcharge for non-machinable parcels. So it is relatively easy to figure out. Now if eBay will just fix the calculator.

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads