Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 54035 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
05/28/07 01:36 PM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: bluepennylady]  

310 views of this thread!

I've gotten over the punch-to-the-stomach feeling; now I'm just numb. I do sincerely appreciate the information and words of encouragement from Ned, Judy, and Garry. I have come to the realization that most of what I ship in manila envelopes or small boxes will go First Class Parcel, and I've adjusted my shipping rates (have the shoppers/bidders adjusted their willingness to pay too much for shipping?).

Today, I have a question about Priority......

Let's say I'm shipping something in a 16 x 16 x 12 box which will weigh only 5 pounds. The PO still defines a "Large Package" as over 84" in length plus girth, which my example isn't, but they've added the following: "Also use Large Package for packages more than 1 cubic foot."

For 5 pounds in a box under a cubic foot, the coast-to-coast cost would be $15.85 (which right there is crazy too much, but oh well!). For my large box, the price would be $31.25 (and by the way, making it 20 pounds adds only about $3.00 to the cost. Also by the way, for the same package, UPS would be $12.56. Seems like the USPS is pricing itself into extinction). In every scenario I've tried, using near and far zips, the cost about doubles for my large-box example.

Does the eBay shipping calculator, as supported by AW, assume we're always going to be using Priority boxes, which are all under a cubic foot? The Dimensions fields in the Domestic Shipping section are only for UPS, right? Or do they now also figure in when only Priority is selected? Maybe Thom just needs to edit out the phrase, "required for UPS services" -- ???

Judy wrote: "It is a good idea to include the box dimensions in AW2000 when listing as those dimensions come into play when the buyer uses the calculator. Including the package dimensions will give the correct calculations at the shipping calculator level."

This actually works?? You enter the box size, and even if you've indicated only the Priority option, the auction calculator will show the Large Package prices?

Thanks, Sue (not kicking back as Judy urged us to do on this Memorial Day; working as always; I've forgotten how to relax)

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/28/07 02:29 PM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

I have a confession. I have not kicked back today either. I cleaned my entire barn including four stalls. Bathed three horses, clipped and groomed. Put out hay in the managers in corrals. Mowed entire lawn. Did laundry, cleaned house. mopped floors. answered AW2000 questions, listed some BIN. I won't go on. So I didn't follow my own advice

If your package is over a cubic foot, you should elect the Oversize 1 and include the dimensions in Aw2000.

The 84 inches is for parcel packages not Priority. Priority is dimensional weight. So you take the box size all three dimensions x each other. If the sum is greater than 1728, then divide by 194 and that gives you the dimensional weight you use to determine the shipping cost.

Parcel Post packages are determined to be oversize if the length, plus girth plus height is over 84 inches.

Your 16 x 16 x 12 box is 3072 inches. Divide 3072 by 194 for a total of 15.83. Which must be rounded up to the next pound to 16 lbs. So when calculating shipping you would use the 16 lbs as the weight factor to the zip code of buyer. Does that make any sense at all??

None of the Priority boxes provided by the USPS are over a cubic foot. There is one box but it isn't Priority and its name escapes me at the moment.

Does that help at all or did I completely confuse everything??

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
05/29/07 01:08 AM

I think we should all be paying YOU (Judy/blue) for what is probably a better tutorial than the Pest Office could ever present.

I listed a thing tonight that will need a box larger than a cubic foot. I used the formula (which I already knew about, but for some reason, was just resisting -- resenting having to learn new stuff, I guess), and I got exactly the right result in the auction.

The main thing I learned from you, Judy, was that I needed to select the Oversize 1 and to enter the dimensions. I had thought that was only for UPS. I still hate that I have to predict the box size up front, and I need to do some more trial runs at the USPS calculator to see how varying the dimensions changes the cost (like, is there an impact if the size increases by an inch, a couple inches?), but it's gratifying to know the result in the auction was right on.

I wonder if anyone has come up with a chart (but it'd have to be three-dimensional -- some kind of geometric chart, like a CAD thing) where you can pick the width on one axis, the length on the other axis, then plug in the height, and where they all intersect, there's the DIM weight (the numbers at the intersections would already be divided by 194 and rounded up). You could do this with Excel, but you'd have to have a different chart (worksheet) for each height, or maybe you could just pick a few common heights and do all the most likely widths and lengths for each of them. Then you could "roam around" on the chart and see if you could get into the next lower weight increment by selecting a slightly smaller box, or vice-versa, stay in the same DIM weight with a slightly larger box.

I made a chart for all boxes 12" tall. You omit lengths/widths below, say, 6 inches, so the top row (x) and the left column (y) are numbered 7" through 20" (seldom ship boxes over 20" in any dimension). Then picking a box 15" x 18", you enter the following formula in the intersecting cell: =((J1*A13)*12)/194, where J is the location of 15" (because the number series begins with 7, not 1), and A13 is the location of 18". The result in the intersecting cell is 16.7 which is 15" x 18" x 12" divided by 194. Now, if I knew how to get Excel to round up the result of a calculation....... I also don't know how to copy a formula down a row and NOT have Excel raise the x-axis figure by one each time, so I'm changing the formula for each cell and copy-pasting it in, and then rounding the results "manually" (does the PO always round up, even if the result is something like 12.1?), but you can see that rounding creates clusters of results. For example, you pay the 13-pound rate for 12-inch boxes that are either 15 x 13, 16 x 13, 14 x 14, or 15 x 14. Have I put you to sleep yet? LOL. Anyway, someone should do this. I nominate anyone other than me.

Ok, now, the horses. You have horses?? How do you do so much stuff? And you cleaned the house, too? (I, uh, dust-busted a little. Groan). Are there actually three of you? Did you apply for and get granted some of those extra hours in the day I heard about?

Sue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/29/07 09:05 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

A chart, humm now that is a good idea. Maybe Garry will come up with something. That guy is quite talented with charts and layout kind of stuff. He has sent me some really good documents he made up for quick references. Whine a little to him and I bet he'll send them to you

Yes I have horses. I have two Paints. One just turned 19. I have had him since he was three. He has carried me umpteen miles and is my best animal friend. I have a four year old I have been breaking. But he fell a month ago and got hurt. Still hasn't healed up enough to ride again. So I am just doing ground work with him and teaching him to stand still when clipping him. The booger is big and if he puts his head up in the air to get away from the clippers, I need a step ladder to reach him. Gotta keep that head down little guy.

I wish I did know how to make more time. I just move at the speed of light so it looks like I get more done. What I didn't tell you is the laundry is washed and dried, but not all folded. And what's folded isn't all put away yet. I'll do that tonight after dark. And after taking the grandkids riding with me. My husband has a mule. So I ride my older horse and pony the mule packing a couple of grandkids. Takes a while to give seven grandkids rides. But we get it done If I was rich and didn't work, I would horseback ride and swim all of the time. As it is, only get to go when I can squeeze it in.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/30/07 06:30 AM

Judy/Sue

Even without a lot of whining I'd be happy to send the stuff. Just let me know if you want the information and an email address. I'll send them along.

If there is other interest I will post them on my website and just put a link here - it would be easier that way I guess. So anyone that wants can just go get the information.

Judy I'm glad there was some useful info there for you. The new rates appear to be really complicated but once the light turns on it's not so bad. It's just trying to get the darn light switch to work.

Garry

Ned
(journeyman)
05/30/07 07:27 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Has anyone tried this board's ability to attach a file to a post? That may be a good way to distribute docs like this.

Ned

moonstruck22
(journeyman)
05/30/07 07:27 AM

Garry,

I would like to see the "postal rate chart dealie". Are you going to post that on your site too??

Thanks,

Marty

Ned
(journeyman)
05/30/07 08:14 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: Ned]  

In reply to:

Has anyone tried this board's ability to attach a file to a post? That may be a good way to distribute docs like this.

I was going to attach Garry's doc to this message. Unfortunately, it's 966K (not an unreasonable size), but the board's (suggested? enforced?) limit is 50K. The file is so much larger than the limit that I didn't try attaching it.

Ned

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/30/07 09:01 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

Actually there is something in the works for distributing documents on the boards. Can't say what. but there is a really nifty thing in the mill or works or whatever you call it

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/30/07 09:03 AM

Garry,

But I knew if we whined just a little tiny bit, we would lure you out of the dark into the light for us And it worked!!!

Am I bad or what.

Yes the stuff you sent to me has been super helpful. Plus you just have this advertisers magazine newspaper layout eye for that kind of stuff. I wonder why

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads