Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 26319 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ned
(stranger )
04/15/07 06:58 AM
GoToMyPC and AW2K new  

GoToMyPC and AW2K work well together. Judy's mentioned in passing using Webex, a similar product, but AFAIK there's been no post specifically about this kind of thing. If you travel (and even if you don't, see below) you might want to use GoToMyPC.

GoToMyPC is a subscription service that helps you set up a secure connection over the internet between one computer (the client) and another (the host computer). During a session, the computer you're using displays the same screen as the host, and passes the keystrokes you type to the host. It's as if the host screen and keyboard have really long cables. You can connect to your host from anywhere in the world. I'm describing a scenario where the host is your usual office computer, and the client is perhaps a traveling laptop or even a borrowed PC.

If your host has AW2K, you can run it from the client. You are not violating your AW2K license, because you're not running it on the client--the client is just letting you see and manipulate the host computer. GoToMyPC does not make the host into a multi-user system. And you're not trying to to synchronize copies of the AW2K database--you're using the database on the host.

AW2K works well in this situation, but there are other benefits as well. You can check your email on the road by using your usual email program on the host. So if you file received messages, they're back at the office in your usual filing system. Again, no synchronization problems, no "oops, that's on the other machine."

Your AW2K machine is probably safer at home than if you traveled with it.

What if you don't travel? My main PC is up in the office. The photo studio and "warehouse" are in the basement. When I'm doing the photography, the laptop I use to control the camera also has a GoToMyPC session going with the office computer upstairs, so I can create new inventory records and use their numbers to name the images as I shoot them.

Cost: There's a 30-day free trial available. After that, it's $19.95/month billed monthly, or something like 15 bucks/month if you pay once a year. I just realized that if you really never travel, you'd be better off paying the AW2K license fee for your client and setting up AW2K as multi-user (even if it's just you). But that'll work only within your own LAN. GoToMyPC works at Starbuck's, or at a friend's house. If your friend has high speed internet. Dialup would likely be pretty painful.

Offsetting the cost is the fact that all you need on your client laptop is a browser and an internet connection. You don't have to go for a top-of-the-line machine. And perhaps you won't need to buy some software for the laptop.

MAC and Linux folks: GoToMyPC hosts have to be Windows machines. GoToMyPC clients can be anything that runs a browser and Java, I think. Check this out yourself, though.

Ned

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/15/07 10:48 AM
Re: GoToMyPC and AW2K new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

My daughter in law uses GoToMyPcNow service. I use Webex.com. I did use GoToMyPcNow but webex is only $9.99 per month and I have more than one computer on the webex service. So for the same price per month at webex I can have two machines

I do the same thing you do with webex and for the same reasons. I can work from home which I frequently do. I can work while on the road, literally riding down the road as we have Verizon unlimited minutes internet card so as long as my cell phone works, the computer will work. That is a God send And if the server has a problem and I am away from the office, Internet connection, laptop and a few minutes, I can have my staff working again. Better than driving 45 miles with diesel almost $3.00 gallon.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
05/03/07 03:01 PM

Ned and all,

I have been messing around with another service for remote access.

http://www.logmeinfree.com

Man is it fast. And yes it really is free. Well, the very basic service is completely free. The Pro package is 199.75 for 5 computers for a one year subscription. Tech support is good, they are friendly. I have spoke with them on the phone. Easy to navigate. Lots of options available with the Pro service.

And if you are an IT or provide tech support for clients, they have services that will fit your job to a "T".

Judy/blue

Ned
(newbie)
05/03/07 05:21 PM
Re: GoToMyPC and AW2K new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy, the www.logmeinfree.com link doesn't work.

Ned

bluepennylady
(old hand)
05/03/07 05:30 PM

Ned,

I wonder what is wrong. I clicked it and it worked. Then I pasted the URL into my address bar and it took me right to Logmeinfree.com

Well then let's try this one and see if it is better

http://www.logmein.com

Judy/blue

Edited by bluepennylady on 05/03/07 06:26 PM (server time).

moonstruck22
(newbie)
05/03/07 06:03 PM

Judy/Ned:
Had the same problem. I found that the website was www.logmein.com
Which is without the "free" in the URL.

In any case I made it there and am using it right now!!

I was looking for a solution for my situation. I am the only user of AW2K and i have just aquired a laptop that I wanted to use from different locations but I did not want to have to purchase another license because again it is just little ol' me doing all the work!!
I also wanted to be a cheapo!
So far I love it although I have only been playing around with it for less then an hour!
We will see what it does for me and if it works out! Will let you know.

Marty

bluepennylady
(old hand)
05/03/07 06:24 PM
Re: GoToMyPC and AW2K [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty,

Now that is really weird. The URL links work for me and take me right to the Home page of logmein.

At any rate, it is totally cool. The free tool works really well. My daughter in law has been using the free one for several days.

And the thing is fast. It is just like you are sitting at your computer. The webex was driving me up the wall it was so slow. React time was terrible and it is not Vista compatible.

Be sure to let us all know all the cool things you figure out.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
05/03/07 06:28 PM
Re: GoToMyPC and AW2K new [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty,

I edited the URL link and changed it around. See if it works for you now???

The silly thing works for me so I can't tell

Judy/blue

moonstruck22
(newbie)
05/03/07 06:59 PM

Judy,

Tried your updated URL works just fine for me!

So far i am with you on speed it is fast. Here's another little tidbit:
The laptop that I have is pretty slow but...remember my daughters IT guyfriend? He GAVE it to me. Boy he is after my baby!!

There is something that free does to soften speed issues!

But get this, when i connect to my pc at my office and use it to browse the web speed issues go by the wayside. So using the laptop as a 'terminal' is making alot of sense right now.

I will let you know what I glean from my adventures!

I went with siteground.com for webhosting. They have a lot of value for the money. Compatibilty issues are nill, so far so good. I am workng on a website hopefully I will have something for all the world to veiw soon!

Marty

bluepennylady
(old hand)
05/03/07 07:04 PM
Re: GoToMyPC and AW2K new [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty,

Boy he after the girl now, isn't he. Trying to win points with dad Is it working?????

My laptop is getting some age on it and moves slower than I like. But even with the logmein access it is not maddeningly slow like webex was. So far I have been really impressed.

You'll really like having your laptop with you so you can access your main computer. Sure makes working easier. Or I should say getting out of the office and keeping everything running easier.

I am glad you found a good site for web hosting. That is a relief isn't it. Now you keep us posted on the website. I really do want to see it.

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads