Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 19487 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ned
(journeyman)
05/24/07 07:54 AM
Proof of a proverb new  

"A gentle answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger." Prov 15:1

A UK bidder had placed a $.99 bid for one of my items, then checked the calculator and discovered it was $21 S&H (only one dollar was H). She fired off a nastygram to me--the usual buyer accusation of exorbitant shipping. She pointed out that she'd bought something from the US only two weeks ago, and shipping was a lot less.

My first inclination was to be nasty right back. I don't have much respect for people who want something cheap, but don't bother to check the S&H before bidding.

Instead I thanked her for checking S&H and agreed the item simply wasn't worth the shipping. I then explained what had happened on May 14, and suggested that she tell her fellow Brit eBayers that there had been Big Changes in postal fees on the other side of the pond. I mentioned that it wasn't a simple rate increase, but new classifications, so they really needed to check on particular items' costs rather than just assuming it was all more expensive. I canceled the bid and thanked her again.

Now the reward--this morning I got an apology!

Makes my day.

Ned

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/24/07 08:04 AM
Re: Proof of a proverb new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

I am so glad you shared this. I have been having similar experiences from Canadian and Australian buyers. Emailing me, furious the rates are twice what they were the last time they bought something.

And I like that scripture verse too. We are studying Proverbs in Sunday School right now

Judy/blue

Ned
(journeyman)
05/24/07 08:10 AM
Re: Proof of a proverb new [re: bluepennylady]  

OTOH, a prospective buyer from Oz asked the cost for a tap. Took it to the post office to discuss. After I got the postmistress to enter "Australia" rather than "Austria", we got a First Class cost for the tap alone (no packaging) of $2.70. I sent a note to the Aussie that I'd ship it to him for $5.40. He responded that that was fine and has bid.

Ned

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/24/07 02:49 PM

Ned:
Congratulations on the way you handled the nastygram. It is so tempting isn't it to nasty right back. The best part of your story is the apology. Yippee. One for the good guys.

Garry

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/24/07 02:52 PM

Judy & Ned:

Just as the rate increase went through I sent an email to all of my regulars and some of the occasional buyers. I told them of the rate increase and what it would do to shipping and handling for our material. Also I told them that if they wanted to check on me just try pricing a non-bendable regular size envelope at 2 ounces and a larger non-bendable envelope at 2 ounces. If they did they would have been shocked to find the cost doubled. I heard from a few from UK and France and one from Australia. They whined a bit but thanked me for letting them know.

Also liked the Proverbs quote - very fitting. Thanks for sharing it Ned

Garry

Ned
(journeyman)
05/24/07 04:21 PM
Re: Proof of a proverb new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

I'll try to remember what you did for your regulars. Maybe someday I'll have some.

Ned

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/24/07 08:41 PM

Ned:
Hang in there - the way you are working you soon will have "regulars". The amount of time and sweat you are devoting to AW2K and all of the possibilities will pay off!

Garry

Ned
(journeyman)
05/25/07 06:50 AM

"Canadian and Australian buyers. Emailing me, furious the rates are twice what they were the last time they bought something. "

Perhaps you should have told them to complain to their congressman.

Ned

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/25/07 07:09 AM

Ned

I am getting ready to make up an email template to explain why the rates are so high and provide a link to the USPS site. Even maybe the customer service link,,,where they can complain.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/25/07 10:06 AM

Judy & Ned:
I've put together (cut and paste job from USPS web and printed brochures) a PDF that might be useful. It contains some information that you can show your customers about how the new rates are figured and how it jumps to a much higher rate as soon as it isn't a normal everyday envelope/letter that is being mailed. I'll send it to you in email and let you decide if it is helpful.

Garry

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads