Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 53924 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/27/07 10:33 PM
Postage rate increases new  

Hi, all,

The USPS has released the postage rate increases. There is a PDF file. Link is below. Oh joy higher shipping rates. buyers are gonna love this

http://pe.usps.com/RateCase2007/DMM300_PDF/RatesAndFees.pdf

Judy/blue

mikekrol
(stranger )
04/24/07 09:19 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hello,

Thanks for the link. We are ebay power sellers with over 500 store items and the new rates will effect more than our customers pocket book. Here is the situation. Because we use calculated shipping; domestic and international, it appears that we will have to mannually relist all items or use ebays bulk editor; as of date there bulk editor does not support international shipping. Anyone out there with a lot of store items and thoughts on how to proceed??? I have thought of changing all my store items to 30 day instead of gtc, make the calc shipping changes in AW . The advantage to me if there is one, is that I have store listings that used the old way of listing from AW( before API?) So please any thought comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/24/07 09:30 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: mikekrol]  

MIke,

The USPS changes are certainly the topic of discussion.

eBay has not yet released the API update. So no developers or programmers have access to any of the changes--yet. I don't know the exact date but I do know the warning returned by eBay now states certain USPS options will no longer be available after May 6. I am just guessing the API will be made available after that date so all the developers and programmers can make necessary coding changes.

I am not using any GTC store listings. Everything ends in 30 days. To make it easier to edit, here is what I plan to do. I will not be relisting store listings until the changes are released. I realize more store will be pulled down to bare minimum for a few days, but I do not wish to edit live auctions.

I will edit all the default shipping options for my Profiles. go to the grid view, change all the affected auction lots to any listing template in the HTML template manager. Then change the Listing template back to the new updated LIsting template which will have all the correct options.

It will work the same way if you have Auction profiles for 13 oz, 1 lb, 2 lb, 3 lb, etc shipping. Those will be super easy to change. Edit the default shipping, change the Listing template to anything in the Grid view and then change the Listing template back to the new updated Listing template.

I am sure others have ideas. And/or special problems as well which they will share. There are going to be those auction lots we will have to manually change the Shipping options for. But for the most part, changing the Listing template will work.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/24/07 10:43 AM

Mike,

Something else I failed to mention. You can always go to the Grid view, select records, right click and select "Change Shipping options" . Then you can edit the shipping options from that dialog box.

Judy/blue

mikekrol
(stranger )
04/24/07 11:52 AM

Judy,

Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards 30 day store iltems. From the domestic shipping prospective, the big thing will be making sure that my priority over 1 cubic foot has proper shipping dimensions when goimg to zones 5-8(Hawaii and Alaska regions) as a new dimension - weight rate will apply. My combined shipping rates and quotes will have to take into consideration box size for zones 5-8. I am stilll looking at my first class options. But think it should pose very little problem.

On international, this could be a blessing in disguise as we now will have flat rate box options. It is making me think through some of my packaging overseas. I would still like to see a magic bullet cure for the changes, however I am a realist.

Mike

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/24/07 12:10 PM

Mike,

Something you might think about doing, if you include the dimensions in the AW2K shipping options, the calculator will automatically include those variables in the shipping quote. Just like if you went to the USPS calculator, clicked box dimensions and weight then put in a zip code.

I am thrilled to see the Flat Rate boxes for International shipping. As well as the ability to track packages shipped Priority Mail International.

We are going to have to re-think offering Parcel Post as the charges for those packages will be obtained using dimensional weight. And in theory, could easily be higher than Priority. We are seriously considering removing the Parcel option all together.

Good thing, the changes force all sellers to look at their auction listings. I just hope buyers are paying attention that the USPS rates are increasing. And don't get hopping mad when they see the charges.

Judy/blue

Ned
(newbie)
05/08/07 09:14 AM

Yesterday I went to a presentation at a PO distribution center. I was surprised that only 7 people had signed up, and even more that I was the only one who showed up.

Not just higher rates, but changing definitions.

Before May 14, the postage on US First Class mail was the same rate no matter the container (envelope or box). That's changed. The new structure has different rates for First Class envelopes, large envelopes, and parcels.

The postal service has also recognized UPS's wisdom of tying the cost to both the weight and size. There will be more than just normal, oversize, and balloon rates.

If you consistently ship using the same or just a few different sizes of containers, it may be worth your while to review them with the Post Office Mail Piece Design people. It could be cheaper overall for you to change from shipping in a padded envelope to a box--that's possibly my case.

International postal shipping will be simplified.

The post office apparently "hasn't decided" some rate questions, with less than a week to go.

Ned

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/08/07 09:25 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

Our Post Office employees here have not even been to training yet. They cannot address our questions. Post Master said it would be after Wednesday before they receive any training.

I certainly wish there was a conference, seminar or anything close by here as my shipping staff and I would most certainly attend.

We are in the process of re-thinking all our shipping. We allow the buyer to choose between three methods both Domestic and International. But with the dimensional weight becoming a factor for Parcel Post, those packages could easily be more expensive than Priority shipping. Especially for the buyers who wish to combine shipping on a large order. Which happens frequently here.

We are use to measuring boxes for the UPS. It will get some getting use to for the USPS. I have to make new charts for all the staff.

All of our First Class mail is parcel First Class. Nothing is the Flat envelope which makes it easier somewhat.

Now to finish reading the huge 121 page manual that even the Postal employees dont' understand

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/09/07 05:19 AM

Judy & Ned:

I know this link isn't maybe the best of all possible resources but the USPS has a web area that does a pretty good job of explaining the new size & weight rates. If you go to:

http://www.usps.com/ratecase/

There is a lot of information there. Several pages have some good descriptions and explainations of how to go about making sure you stay in the lower rate. Except it's pretty difficult to FOLD a 5 Foot Rake handle to fit into an envelope for a cheaper rate. LOL

Locally they are doing training classes at the main postal center but they are $250.00 per person. I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon. That's a LOT of postage.

Garry

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/09/07 07:01 AM
Re: Postage rate increases new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

Around here the Postal employees have not even been trained yet. Well as of Monday they had not been. Training starts today, Wednesday. But so far no one is offering classes etc. I wish they would except $250.00 per person is steep.

Thanks for the link!

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads