Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 6641 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Katz
(stranger )
06/24/07 04:32 PM
website question new  

I'm assuming I can ask about anything here? I use AW, but also have a website. I recently completely remodeled it and replaced the old with the new. I just received an order, and it was from my old site. I dont even sell those plants anymore. My new site has been online for about a week. How can they order from my old pages? And what can I do about it? I am assuming they had me in their favorites and just clicked on that. Do I need some sort of refresh code?
Thanks for any help!

bluepennylady
(veteran)
06/24/07 06:35 PM
Re: website question [re: Katz]  

Hi,

Yes you can feel free to ask questions. It makes it super interesting for everyone. And we all learn a lot.

I am presuming you are not using AW2K to upload thumbnail pages to your website? As if you are you will have to update the AW2K websites and would have probably be doing that all along anyway.

Did you delete the old files from your old website? If you didn't use the exact same page names, new files were uploaded instead of overwriting the old ones. So you will have the old files (page) as well as the new ones. And it is conceivable that someone saved you as you said and just clicked on the link that took them directly to the old page (file) that is still on your web space.

check your webspace and see if the old pages (files) are still there. Let me know.

Judy/blue

Katz
(stranger )
06/25/07 05:56 PM
Re: website question new [re: bluepennylady]  

No, my AW is not connected in any way to my website.
After I finished making my new website, I published it and told it to completely overwrite everything that was previously there, even the navigational structure.
I'm pretty sure it's from someone having me in their favorites, I have a lot of repeat buyers and they check back a lot to see my new items.
I'm just thinking there may be some sort of code I can put into my pages so that when someone goes there it will automatically refresh, but not the refreshing that some sites have that refresh every 5 minutes or so. That sucks for people with slow dial-ups, I used to have that.

bluepennylady
(veteran)
06/26/07 05:04 AM
Re: website question new [re: Katz]  

Hi,

I'll check for you and let you know.

Judy/blue

Ned
(member)
06/26/07 09:18 AM
Re: website question new [re: Katz]  

Hi Katz,

"completely overwrite everything that was previously there": Are you certain that the directory(ies) where your website's files live were completely emptied of old stuff, or did you just give the transfer software permission to overwrite if there was an old file of the same name? Two different things, and you want Thing One.

There are only two ways your customer could be seeing the old stuff:

1. Your customer has a bookmark pointing into your website at an old page. If you didn't delete the old page, the customer can still get there, even if the page is no longer part of your new structure.

2. Your customer has made a copy of your old page on his local PC ("Make this page available offline.") Much less likely than #1.

I should say, only two ways assuming that some time (say, 24 hours) has passed since you revised your site. Some internet providers actually cache web pages to improve the (apparent) speed of their service. These cached pages expire and are refreshed periodically. I mention this only to say that it's possible (though not likely) that copies of your old pages are being held somewhere between your server and your customer's PC.

Back to the Two Ways.

#1. If your customer has a bookmark, just make sure the old page it points to is truly gone from your server. They will get a 404 error. You should customize the error to send them to your home page afterwards.

#2. Can't do much about this, but I doubt it's the problem. I don't think I've ever seen a commerce site where the user could complete a transaction on a single page. Unless the user was extremely lucky, I'd think something would go obviously wrong with the old page pretty quick when they tried to move through your process.

HTH,
Ned

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads