Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 7680 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Ned
(member)
06/25/07 09:40 AM
Are eBay Dutch Auctions too confusing for buyers?  

Is the eBay Dutch Auction simply too confusing for buyers?

1. I had to read the rules repeatedly and mull them over before I really got a handle on them.

2. My wife (one smart lady) claims she doesn't get eBay Dutch Auctions. She does understand all the rules and can answer any question I give her. I finally concluded that she gets it, but simply refuses to believe it. She agreed.

3. After a recent Dutch Auction I was approached by a would-be buyer who seemed to be saying that she didn't get Dutch Auctions and was put off from participating in them.

I've long thought that broad eBay categories were a little like different neighborhoods--even to the extent of different expectations and etiquette, and different levels of buyer sophistication about eBay. Certainly, it should be no surprise that a guy who normally sells used machine parts wouldn't quite know what to expect in the world of Fine China.

Do eBay Dutch Auctions scare buyers? Is there any category where the eBay Dutch Auctions work well (for sellers, of course)?

Ned

bluepennylady
(veteran)
06/25/07 11:26 AM
Re: Are eBay Dutch Auctions too confusing for buyers? new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

I can't speak for anyone else but I personally do not use Dutch Auctions. I am understand the concept, etc but it just doesn't make sense to me to auction in that manner. So I stick with Fixed price, regular auction and store listings.

Others will have a different opinion. So please everyone, jump right in and let us know what you do that works well for you.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
06/26/07 11:00 AM
Re: Are eBay Dutch Auctions too confusing for buyers? new [re: Ned]  

Ned:
I just read your post and Judy's on the Dutch Auctions. The first time I tried a Dutch auction I too had to read and reread the write up on it. I finally thought I had grasped the idea and tried doing one. I had 50 JAZ disks that I wanted to get rid of. So put them in a dutch auction and lo and behold I sold all but about 8 of them. Pretty neat.

The next time I tried it I had 15 packets of 1000 different world wide stamps. I figured that would ge a handy way to get them sold. At the end of the auction I had sold them all.

Actually the Dutch Auction has to pass a test for me - do I have enough identical items to warrant that type of auction and will it save me time. In both cases it truly saved me time and money. With out the Dutch auctions I would have had to repeatedly relist the lot until it sold or parked the items in the store.

Ned, this long answer is simply to say I think they have a place. If they can be used to move a lot of identical merchandise it is worth it and it also saves on listing fees.

Garry

Ned
(member)
06/26/07 12:21 PM
Re: Are eBay Dutch Auctions too confusing for buye new [re: AquilaStamps]  

But Garry, my question was whether Dutch Auctions scared off buyers.

I take it from your post that enough buyers participated that you were pleased with the results.

I also get the idea that you used the DAs in situations where your primary goal was to move the stuff out, and the price you got was not really important. Is that true?

I've got this pile of stuff from a former restaurant that became our new community center. My donation is managing the sale of this stuff, net proceeds to the community center. I'd like to get a good price for the sake of their budget. Also it makes me look competent :-) .

Ned

bluepennylady
(veteran)
06/26/07 01:29 PM
Re: Are eBay Dutch Auctions too confusing for buye new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

Your price concern is why I never did do Dutch Auctions successfully. I have seller friends that use Dutch Auctions and do extremely well with them. Even price wise.

It is quite conceivable that the price fetched at Dutch Auction would be comparable to regular auction by the time you deduct additional listing fees. You might do the math and see. Plus, you could always try a Dutch auction on a small group and see what the market bears.

If you do that, let us all know how it works. A "yeah" or a "Nay"

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
06/27/07 07:05 AM
Re: Are eBay Dutch Auctions too confusing for buye new [re: Ned]  

Ned:
From what I have seen the Dutch Auction is not confusing for the buyer. When they click to bid they get a concise list of the rules for a DA. Also it is done in such a way that they can see exactly what they are doing. As far as the price goes you set the bottom price. So once your auction starts the price you have suggested is the minimum.

In my case I was going to be more than happy with the price that I indicated when I started the auction. And yes, you are correct - I wanted to move out the items and not have several auctions to get rid of the stuff. That entered into my decision to use the DA - I decided the price that was best for me and hoped the buyers would want to pay more LOL - that's the chance on a DA.

I have a friend that does clearance lots for a stamp dealer - he clears albums, mounts, supply type material not collectables. He lumps all of the identical items into a Dutch Auction and does it as a 3 day auction (I think it is 3 days) and has been able to move all of the material each time.

I don't think most buyers are scared off with a Dutch Auction. I'm sure there may be some that wouldn't bid using that type of auction. However, that can be said for auctions versus store items also.

May I suggest something? If you have several items from the former restaurant - group some into a Dutch Auction, then put a few into a store item, finally do one as a regular auction. Use the same "price" for each. Then see what happens. It should give you a good handle on the differences and activity level of all three types. All things are equal as far as price and you can measure activity. It may be worth a try for you to see Buyer Activity and interest. Also this way you can still get the price you are going for.

Garry

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads