Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 6934 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

racicot
(stranger )
06/01/08 10:02 AM
new camera, picutres are huge and unusable  

I just got a new camera - sony ws-150, 8.1 megapixels, couldn't wait to use and see my wonderful pictures! Have been using a sony mavica 200 up to now. I mainly want the camera for ebay pictures. Well, I took pics with new camera and the pictures are HUGE - you have to scroll way across and way down. They are not in the kb size they are mb size. There is an email setting where I can get a smaller size, but those pictures are no better than the ones that I take with the mavica 200. Did I just waste my money buying this new camera?????

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
06/01/08 03:03 PM
Re: new camera, picutres are huge and unusable new [re: racicot]  

HI,

No you did not waste your money on a new camera. You actually have a really good camera.

First, don't use the email setting. YOu want to use the highest possible resolution setting on your camera so after all the editing you will still have a crisp, clean, clear image. Email shots will not edit well. Meaning they will lose DPI and clarity in the editing process.

Next, are you using the AW2000 image editor and they are huge in that when you open the editor??

If so, before you edit look on the bottom of the place where the image goes and look for the term "Zoom" Does it say "Fit"? If it does state "Fit" and it is still too large, no worries. We can make it smaller..

Open up the image editor by clicking "Edit Image"

On the image editor toolbar, look across the top from left to right and you will find 6th tool over from the "Zoom" box the Resize tool. It has four arrows all pointing outwards. Click it and the resize tool opens up.

The is a "Shrink by factor" as well as a "Specify Size"

Look and see what the size of your image actually is. It displays in the Status bar along the bottom of your Image editor. If you can't see the image size then in the upper right hand corner click the center button "Restore Down". You will be able to see the size.

Try resizing to 500 x 500 or 400 x 400 and see if that helps. Do all the editing you want to do at one time to help preserve the images DPI and clarity.

Let me know if that helps. And in the meantime I'll holler at Garry because he is an image wizard!

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store
Visit our website too!
http://www.pennyworthsales.com

racicot
(stranger )
06/01/08 07:15 PM
Re: new camera, picutres are huge and unusable new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy - thank you, I've been working with cameras and pictures all day and it is now 8:00pm at night and I just read your reply to my question. I didn't even think about using AW2000 image editor - I had tried using infraview and was learning a few thing with it. I had actually put the new sony camera back in the box and was going to return it. I have an old canon s100 elph that my sister gave me that I was going to try and use. OK, I'm just rambling now. I'm going to start fresh in the morning and try what you have suggested. It sure sounds like it will work. thanks again, Sharon

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
06/01/08 07:26 PM
Re: new camera, picutres are huge and unusable new [re: racicot]  

Sharon,

IrfanView will work really well to resize and edit your image. So don't despair.. I use IrfanView all of the time in college classes for basic image editing.

In Irfanveiw.... to get the image so you can see it, look on the toolbar. You will see two really small magnifying glasses. One has a "+" sign the other has a "-" sign. The minus sign will zoom out so you can see to work on the image.

Go to "Image" on the menu. And choose "Resize/resample

When the resample/resize applet opens,
Check the DPI. You don't want anything less than a 96. If it is 72, change it. In fact, recently we have been changing the DPI to at least 120.

In the Image size, there are really good default settings on the right hand size. Try the first one. I think it is 640 x 480. That is usually a really good size.

You can crop in IrFanView as well. But we usually just resize the image in IrFanView, save as and finish the editing in AW2000. We use the resize/resample to increase the DPI so the images won't lose clarity if we do serious editing.

Just remember to do as much editing as you can at one time before saving the work.

Be sure to save the image in Irfanview as a Jpg. The first time you save an image in Irfanview, the file type will be a bitmap. And use the "Save As" option so if you have trouble or make mess the original image is still intact to start over.

It is always a challenge to learn a new camera. Especially moving from a Sony Mavica. We had the same problem. the old Sony Mavica camera just flat out take good images. And the things are just easy to use. My staff LOVED ours. And there are days they still want to use it. Those things take the best super close up shots.

Let me know how it goes!

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store
Visit our website too!
http://www.pennyworthsales.com

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads