Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 7041 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

WiseOldTroll
(stranger )
02/14/09 07:02 PM
Why isn't AW2K offered for sale on Ebay? (+rant) new  

Well, let me start with the “rant”

I am not a power seller by any means, as I have used Ebay more for buying than selling over the years, but I have been on Ebay for over 10 years. I’ve posted about 400 auctions during that time, and taken the same (Ebay) roller coaster ride as the rest of us here.

I remember what a chore it was listing/selling/tracking in the beginning before I went looking for an auction management program. And after looking at/testing all of those that I could find at the time ON Ebay, I ended up choosing Blackthorne’s. I really did like the program better than anything else I found at the time.... so I purchased (a license) and used it. That is, UNTIL #!@&^$% Ebay went and (well.. we all know what they did to Blackthorne).. and so, I used it until the 1 year 'grandfather' period (that Ebay so graciously allowed me), was over, and then promptly ceased using it, because I REFUSE to pay a monthly subscription for a program that I may sometimes not even use for months on end (or ANY software program, for that matter). This really angered me (what Ebay did to Blackthorne) because I asked the people who owned Blackthorne (prior to purchasing a license) IF they would ever go to a subscription model. They said “no, we won’t”, but of course they had no control after the Big Giant came along and gobbled them up. (I DO have a point to make with this diatribe, so please stay with me).

So, just as I had done to find Blackthorne’s, I searched to see what other auction management software was available ON Ebay. I download and tried several, but they were all terrible! I do not remember seeing AW2K there (I believe I found out about AW2K doing a google search). But, I do remember that there were SCADS of different programs for auction management available then (heck, I probably paid for at least 6 before finding out about AW2K, and hated them all).

Go on EBay today, and you will only find a couple of offerings! I tried one of them in the past, and I “kicked the tires” of the other, and I can honestly say that none of them, or the ones I tried in the past, can hold a candle to AW2K (even WITH the old UI, missing features, infrequent updates (not my words, but from other posts I've seen here).

In an earlier post, a user was expressing concern over the new free picture/Image service Ebay recently initiated. He also expressed his desire to have missing features integrated into the program, as well as the support for the Ebay image service. He went on to say how he felt guilty asking for new features in AW2K (being an original one-time-fee licensee), but would be willing to pay a one-time fee to see his requests for upgrades/improvements/missing features come to fruition.

I too, am fortunate enough that I came onboard with AW2K and paid a one-time fee, and was not required to pay a yearly renewal fee. Before I paid that fee, and because of the situation I described above, I explained my angst with Ebay and Blackthorne to Thom via email and asked him before purchasing a license if he would ever follow the same path as Blackthorne and go to a monthly subscription model. He told me at the time that he would not. So later, when the announcement came that he was changing his fee structure, my first thought was "Oh no, here we go".....But, I was very pleased to find that he implemented and structured the licensing to 'honor' those early, loyal users such as myself, and most importantly, that he kept his word. And we all know how good Thom is about answering an email for help. These are noble and honorable attributes in my book.

But what really struck me, and ‘hit home’ in the other users post(s) were comments such as: how AW2K almost seemed like it feels “somewhat worn and behind the curve” and “like Abandonware”. There was also mention about the size of the user base diminishing (? Is it?) I suppose the reason these statements caught my attention is because of my apprehension that AW2K might go the way of so many of the other programs that USED to be available on Ebay and are no longer. Or, go the way of Blackthorne and be sold to the “Big Ugly Giant”, loose ALL of its (clunky old) charm, character, and appeal. It might gain some missing features in this type of transition, but, at what cost?? I for one don’t want AW2K to ever take that route. Nor do I want to see it stagnate and loose its user base (support) and/or cease to be available.

I am not a programmer either, and I can only imagine how difficult and time-consuming it is just trying to keep up with the constant changes Ebay makes. Point being, I do appreciate the effort that has gone into programming AW2K and would hate to be without the program. (NO, I'm not related to 'Chicken Little" and I don't mean to come off sounding alarmist, or like we are all on the Titanic, so don't read too much into this and start up the flame throwers !)

As a result, I (also) would be willing to pay a one-time fee to bolster the program. Or, I would be willing to pay a fee for a major or new revision, albeit NOT in the form of a subscription model.

At this juncture, all who have read this are probably wondering what the heck this rambling diatribe has to do with the subject I chose. Which brings me to ask it here:

Why is AW2K not offered for sale on Ebay?

I’ve pondered this query and I realize that there must be valid reasoning for it, but for the life of me, I can only wonder why not? I cannot recall ever seeing AW2K offered on Ebay. Has it ever? Wouldn’t this increase the user base and bring in additional revenue? I’m just a dumb old country boy, but it seems like a natural fit to me… am I missing something?

bluepennylady
(Carpal Tunnel)
02/15/09 01:50 PM
Re: Why isn't AW2K offered for sale on Ebay? (+rant) new [re: WiseOldTroll]  

HI,

Auction Wizard is in the Certified Providers directory. Has been for quite a while. There are several reviews written. And anyone who uses AW2K can write a review... You will find it here

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SolutionsDirectory&subgroup=1&page=results&sort=solutionName¤tpage=2

I believe AW2000 came onboard the directory a few months after the API integration was completed. but don't hold me to it.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store
Visit our website too!
http://www.pennyworthsales.com

Visit me at Bonanzle!
http://www.bonanzle.com/bluepennylady

WiseOldTroll
(stranger )
02/15/09 02:48 PM
Re: Why isn't AW2K offered for sale on Ebay? (+rant) new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hello Judy,

Thank you for your time and response. But, this isn't exactly what I meant by asking why Aw2K is not for sale on Ebay. Being included in this 'list' of Certified Providers is hardly an active promotion of AW2K. Pardon the anaolgy, but this is much akin to having a single line of diminutive print which reads "aw2k works with ebay' on a full size billboard ad promoting EBay (not AW2K) on some little county backroad, when 99% of the traffic is going down the interstate. (Did you see the movie Cars?) What I mean by offered for sale on Ebay is having it actively listed as an auction on Ebay, for all to see when doing a search for a program to purchase.

Perfect example... Having been on Ebay for 10+ years.. until you sent me the link for the "Directory of Certified Providers", I was unaware of it's existance and had never seen it before. If I wanted to find for a program like AW2K for auction management ON Ebay, the first thing I would do is SEARCH for and active auction that was SELLING an "auction management <software/program, etc." I wouldn't wade through all the back pages on Ebay looking through a list of "Certified Providers" for a solution.

I do appreciate your response, but in this instance, it does not properly address the question.

Thank you,
Edward

bluepennylady
(Carpal Tunnel)
02/15/09 03:15 PM
Re: Why isn't AW2K offered for sale on Ebay? (+rant) [re: WiseOldTroll]  

Edward,

Blackthorne, SMP, Auctiva, Venido, Inkfrog, Aswas, etc none of the third party tools set up auctions to sell their software on eBay. I would have to look through the developers documentation but I don't even think that is allowed..

Most people looking for auction management solutions do not search the eBay site. They do an internet search. Which Auction wizard 2000 is all over the place using an internet search. Usually either the first or second of natural results. Generally only paid placement ranks higher in an internet search.

I am sorry you felt my response did not address your inquiry. Your question wanted to know why Auction Wizard 2000 was not offered on eBAy and it actually is, In the appropriate place on the eBay site, Certified providers and solutions.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store
Visit our website too!
http://www.pennyworthsales.com

Visit me at Bonanzle!
http://www.bonanzle.com/bluepennylady

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads