Configuration
   >> HTML Templates
Thread views: 10476 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

tvanslooten
(stranger )
09/06/07 08:20 PM
How Do I Include HTML in Footer Text?  

I am creating my first template. I am using the "Sample Lt. Gray - Red & Blue" template. Here is what I want to accomplish but haven't been able to figure it out...

The products I sell are very similar so the only thing that changes are a few comments in the description. And then of course my "auction terms (i.e. shipping details, payment details, etc.)" all stay the same. So basically I only need to tweak a few minor things in the description for every auction item.

I also take 5-7 pictures for each item. I want the images to run down the left side of the page (which I have figured out how to do) but I want my description and all of my auction terms to run along the right side. I basically want a two-column web page with images on the left and my description and terms on the right.

I can't seem to figure out how to create a template to do this so what I thought I could do is use the same description from the description field on the auction lot and then use the footer text component within the template editor to add all my auction terms and conditions. The problem is, I want to use HTML in the footer text (specifically a table). While everything renders o.k. when you preview the template, my auction terms are in the "right column" but way towards the bottom of the page - near the last picture. There is this huge gap of white space between the description and the footer text info.

I discovered this was because of the HTML (specifically the table code). When I removed all the HTML, all of my footer text showed up immediately below the auction description when I previewed the template.

How can I get my table and HTML in the footer text stuff to show up immediately below the descriptions so there isn't a major gap between the two?

And If I can't do this using the footer text, how would I go about creating a "stock template" to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Travis

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
09/06/07 09:03 PM
Re: How Do I Include HTML in Footer Text? new [re: tvanslooten]  

Travis,

Nice to meet you!

Be sure when you start editing a Listing template, to duplicate the original and rename the duplicated copy. Work on the copy instead of the original. So if you need to start over, you have the original to duplicate again.

You can do what you want. The footer will handle HTML. My footers have HTML in them. If you are having difficulty getting the right format, use your HTML editor such as Front Page or Dreamweaver to help write the code. Then copy and paste the code right into the footer.

Footer text is displayed right after the description text. The payment terms are after the footer. You can line up the description text to be even with your first image. That setting is found in "Page Properties" Body alignment should be set to "Top" And you have already found how to display the images on the side.

The footer text will display right after the description. In fact, if you want space between the footer and the description you usually have to add space or if writing HTML a <BR> will do it as well.

Now what will cause a space is if you have more images than description. Then there will be white space between the description and footer and the terms. The description and footer text will display together. And the terms will be under the last picture.

Now if you want to move the terms up into your footer area, you can easily do that. Just copy and paste the terms into the footer area underneath the table code you want in the footer.

check your table code over carefully. It sounds like you have a page break or two at the very top. Or you have the code in the footer down further than at the very top of the footer.

Let me know if that helps.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store

tvanslooten
(stranger )
09/07/07 01:34 PM
Re: How Do I Include HTML in Footer Text? new [re: bluepennylady]  

Thanks for the instructions but I'm still having issues. Let me explain...

You are 100% correct - I have more images than I have description. So I have this large white space after the description and before the footer text begins. The HTML I'm using in the footer works perfectly and I've double checked to make sure there wasn't any hard breaks or anything goofy going on.

So...I need to figure out how to get the footer text (my HTML stuff) to render immediately below the description. I suppose I could delete images until it works, but that's obviously something I don't want to do.

If having more images than description is always going to produce a large white space, is there another way I can accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Travis

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
09/07/07 01:41 PM

Travis,

Email me your HTML code in a saved notepad document. And I'll see if it works in my footers. I played around with all kinds of HTML code in a duplicated copy of the Listing template you indicated you are using with no problems. The footer information displayed directly below the description. I even moved the Terms Of Sale below the footer text and it displayed properly. I use 9 images for the "fake" auction to Preview. Naturally there were more images than text but the text displayed in order without white space until there was no more text to display.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!

tvanslooten
(stranger )
09/10/07 01:08 PM
Re: How Do I Include HTML in Footer Text? new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:

Thanks for the willingness to help! I'll email you the HTML code.

Travis

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
09/10/07 01:14 PM

Travis,

No sweat. I don't mind at all. I'll see what I can find. Sometimes two sets of eyes are better than one

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads