Configuration
   >> HTML Templates
Thread views: 8437 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

ladytrae
(stranger )
12/03/07 06:32 PM
Dreamweaver & CSS  

I have been playing with Dreamweaver for a few years and I know the basics. Im wondering if it will be difficult to make a template and use aw2000 to then list my auctions. What all would be involved with this idea? Thanks!

Tracy L Devrick

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
12/03/07 07:09 PM
Re: Dreamweaver & CSS new [re: ladytrae]  

Tracy,

You can develop something in Dreamweaver or any other HTML editor.

There is a section in the AW2000 help files for doing that. Look in "HTML code | Pure HTML Templates. Down about half way or so there is a section concerning building a template from scratch.

Does that help??

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store
Visit our website too!
http://www.pennyworthsales.com

AquilaStamps
(addict)
12/04/07 05:00 AM

Tracy:
Your plan to use Dreamweaver is a good idea. It works quite well. I use an HTML editor (frontpage) and play around with different ideas for templates. I can see how they are going to look and even move in material from my server (just make sure the full path is there) and view the results. Once I am happy with what I've done I copy the HTML that is between the two body headers paste it into notepad and then copy from note pad and paste into AW2K. (That strips out any extraneous junk that may creep in) Sorry for the long involved story here. Just wanted to tell you that it works great and it gives you the opportunity to experiment with your ideas and even abandon them and nothing is done to aw2k until you are ready to "go live".

Good luck with your new template. Let us know when you're done so we can all take a peek at them.

Garry

BreckLundin
(stranger )
02/07/08 08:24 PM

since Thom added the ability to access pictures in the "pure html" style listings it is easier to create much more sophisticated templates. Problem is that you will need to either write your own program to insert your content into the template for pasting into Aw2k or you will need to open your HTML editor for each item you wish to sell then copy over the content portion of the page to paste into Aw2k.

Be aware that you will not really be able to use CSS in a fashion that makes it useful. That is because you define what CSS file to use in the header portion of an HTML page. And while you can actually fake that by just adding the info anyway, that is a direct violation of eBay's TOS for listing content. The reasons are long but are there.

So you are best served hard coding the "style" attributes for each page element individually. This is fine but it does make changes more difficult then most of use would like.

Also, just linking to your own CSS page within the <BODY> tag can have unpredictable results on the user end. Some browsers will render the content correctly others, will, well, not be so happy.

Aw2k has long needed some improved ability in creating templates. It would be nice to be able to define individual ad elements then create a template by selecting which elements to use for the template.

I wrote my own software to generate the HTML code. I can enter in the various data for the listing description and then push a button that copies the html to the clipboard so I can paste it directly into Aw2k. I used VB.net so it only took a day to code and test. And a day to create an ad layout I liked. I now have several page layouts I can select to use for html generation. And I keep the page definitions in a SQL database on one of my web servers. I could just as easily have used MySQL, FoxPro or something as simple as Access. Anything that supports SQL query strings.

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads