Introductions
   >> Introductions
Thread views: 86121 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
freqz
(stranger )
11/08/06 07:59 AM
Thinking about purchasing but have a few ?'s  

I was a long time user of timbercreek's SOLD. Support over there started to die off and then out of business. Switched over to Auctiva and have been using them. Lately their website and system has been giving alot of problems, laggy, etc. So I'm now looking to move on to something else again. I'm the type that once I find something I stick with it as long as I can.

Anyway, I have been searching high and low for a very cost effective system. I have downloaded AW2K and also Ebay's Blackthorne.

I really like the look of Blackthorne compared to AW2K. To me it makes it look like a current piece of software compared to AW2K. AW2k reminds me of the old DOS day style program. I prefer the tab'd layout with the mouse over hints.
Are there any near future plans for a Major face lift for AW2K ?

Besides from the layout and the visual's of the program I have not really tested either out that much. I like to play and try then when I decide and purchase start from scratch and learn as I go.

Another thing I noticed through reading around here is the only way for the buyer information to be imported it through a received email ? Is this correct ? If this is correct then I am also thinking that it would be in my best interest to create a new email address solely for Ebay and AW2K ? Is that also correct ?

I'm starting to get alot more products in and also now doing some consignments, and I beleive AW2K or Blackthorne would save me a ton of time over my current record keeping ( copy paste into EXCEL )

On another note, I really have not seen alot of talk on Templete's for AW2K, other then it has alot and find one you like and edit it to what you want, etc....
Here is a look at some of my current auctions and my templete:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfreqzQQhtZ-1

I like the fact that with Auctiva I can have a smaller picture displayed and then the viewer can click for a full size more detailed picture. I also like the fact that with auctiva that it gives me a scrolling store window with my current displayed auctions. On the last thing, I like that I can copy and paste, say from a manufactures site the spec's of something and paste it right into my description keeping the format ( HTML ) I did not see that option withen AW2K while looking at the software.

I'm sure I'll have more questions here and I hope not to be a pest now but a helpful user here later on.

On the leaning towards AW2K decission is the community that I see here. I beleive trying to get help from Ebay would be the biggest waste of my time.

Thanks in advanced !
John

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/08/06 10:49 AM
Re: Thinking about purchasing but have a few ?'s new [re: freqz]  

John,

Thank you for posting. Your "leaning" towards AW2K over Blackthorne is really a good decision. I did the Beta testing for Blackthorne and then later the evaluation on the final product. I tested Blackthorne for 30 days both times. And I am still an AW2K user

The Blackthorne interface is not intuitive. The email system provided with Blackthorne is difficult to navigate. Developing additional email templates within the Blackthorne software is not easy. You cannot use Blackthorne to manage auctions on other sites reducing a seller's customer service level considerably.

Manually creating invoices for repeat buyers requesting was a chore. Inventory management, in my opinion, was very poor. The Inventory management module in AW2000 was one of the reasons I became an AW2000 user as I deal in large in-depth Inventories and must have the ability to track inventory and consignors.

I found the listing process cumbersome. The tech support was horrible at best. If errors occured, which were frequent even with the final product, the tech support did not respond in a timely fashion, usually requiring 24 hours or longer. That is an unacceptable timeframe for tech support when you are down and unable to list or retrieve Auction information. also found a great deal of "passing the buck" with technical issues as no one ever seemed to really have an answer.

The cost of Blackthorne in comparison to what the software offers is unattractive.

Aw2K provides tool tips over icons just as any Windows based program does. Right clicks all provide functions and options.

I am not sure what you mean when you refer to a major facelift. I do Beta testing and software evaluation on the side. And I do alot of it. Everything from Channel Advisor, Kyozou etc. I have tested them all. Although AW2K, is not colorful, the code is solid and the program is stable. Leading to less errors and down time. The entire program is interconnected meaning navigation throughout the program is easy.

The setup in AW2K is the most difficult and time consuming. After the setup process is complete, the rest of the program runs like a top.

Buyer information is retrieved via email. You can store the buyer information by extracting it from a Paypal payment, the "I will be sending you x shortly" or the buyer simply sending their name and address to you in an email. The process is simple and requires one click of the mouse. Highlight the name and address with our mouse, hit the Store buyer information" button and the information is automatically extracted into the appropriate Invoice fields.

There are real noteworthy advantages to retrieving buyer information using the email system. First, buyer's are notorious for moving or changing email addy's and not updating their information at eBay or Overstock. Using the buyer information provided on the End of Auction does not guarantee you will have the correct information ending up mailing a product to an invalid address.

Customer service levels are increased when the seller has direct contact with a buyer instead of using the "auto-mated" can't find a real person type of system. And once you get a buyer communicating with you directly, you can do add-on sales. Many of my buyers email me back on the shipping notifications I send them when their package ships and request more of what they just won. Or wanting to combine winning auctions from eBay, eBay store and Overstock onto a single invoice. You do not have that ability using Blackthorne. And grouping product, and adding on product increases the sellers bottom line significantly.

There are several LIsting templates available. All can be duplicated and edited to fit your business needs. Most of us have numerous Listing templates for various products and/or Auction profiles.

AW2K tech support is superb. Another factor in my decision to use AW2000. If you do not receive a response within a hour or two of emailing during business hours, something is wrong. As Thom gets right on tech issues. And he is just flat out good. I have worked with lots of technicians and programmers. I promise you, he is heads above anyone I have ever worked with.

Now that I have written you a short novel and talke your leg off, if you have any other questions, just jump right in and ask. One of us will be happy to assist.

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/08/06 11:35 AM
Re: Thinking about purchasing but have a few ?'s new [re: bluepennylady]  

Thanks for the reply and all the information.

As for facelift, meaning like next major revision ie. auction wizard 2007 :-) I'm big on a nice graphical ( if that's the word) nice looking layout. The colors currently on AW are drab, and have old school feeling.

On the Email note. Is it best to start with a dedicated email address when beginning to use AW ?? Currently I use the same email address for well almost everything and I'm a little unsure as to how the AW email handling works. Because I don't think it will pull directly out of Outlook will it ? To my understanding it's like it's own outlook and downloads and filters that way. correct ?

Now back to templates. I looked and of course didnt have any inventory items to properly view them. But to my main question on the templates, how and what options can be used for pictures ? can you display large tumbnails, and when the viewer clicks have them open into the full size ? As how my current auctions are that are listed though auctiva ?

As for picture hosting I have a webhosting company so sotrage is not a problem. Before I did it the old fasion way and used Frontpage and created thumbnails and hosted them on a web page and just redirected for my pictures. big pain in the butt.

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/08/06 11:50 AM

John,

I understand about the colors. There are those that feel the same way. Me, I don't care about the color but I sure want the sucker to work right

The email issue. Aw2K retrieves email exactly as your Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudora or whatever client you use. You just need to remember to "leave a copy on the server" Advanced option selected in your Outlook. Otherwise, there won't be any email for AW2K to retrieve.

I have 4 email accounts configured in AW2K. And it is only because my business is setup that way. I have an email address that all Paypal payments go to. And that email account is configured in AW2000. My Auction user id's registered on Overstock, eBay and Yahoo all have the same email address so all Auction related emails go through the same acccount. And that account is configured in AW2000. I have my corporate website email addy that is also configured in AW2k as buyers' email us from my website all of the time. And I have an alternative email address just in case something goes wrong with my own domain email and I need to keep working. I can swap email addys fairly quickly.

You can more easily Preview templates by creating a fake Auction lot, adding an Image and using the "Preview template" in the lower left at the bottom of the Auction lot window directly below the description field. There is a radio button that reveals the drop down box where you can select each Listing template one by one and then view in your browser. Remember, the template does not have to exactly what you want. It can be edited in the HTML template editor or manager.

Image management with AW2K is an absolute breeze. No writing your own URL's. No messing with old images as AW2K will delete unnecessary images that you don't need. It is super slick and a real time saver.

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/08/06 12:06 PM

I guess really your right on the point of " want it to work right " And with that I can totally agree on who cares about looks. But on another point, I was wondering if there were any plans for a major upgrade. From other compaines that had major upgrades I've seen alot of complaining of having to re-learn everything and data intergration problems etc.

Main reason for the above concern is basically if there is a major release comming out, I'd prefer to wait a little bit to "learn" the latest and greatest. Does that make sense ?

For email, I think the most effective route for me would be to create a new email address strictly for Ebay including PayPal. This would probably make my life alot easier.

Now onto my last concern. And I really cannot try it on this computer here at work but...

Can AW2K do thumbnails with click to enlarge ?

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/08/06 12:17 PM

John,

Oh, now I understand. There was a release a long time ago about the Auction Wizard Enterprize version in the works. But those changes will be the way the database works, etc. And although there may be new features implemented, I don't think any new major program changes like you are talking about coming. Plus I have never seen Thom do anything like that.

The foundation Aw2000 is built on is stable and scalable. So any new features added are not going to require lots of learning of how the program works or runs.

And in all honesty, although every program has tweaking that must be done with a program release, AW2000 Beta version releases are better than anyone elses final release. And that is the truth. I have Beta tested software that it was really Alpha testing not Beta testing. I just haven't ever seen Thom release something that wasn't ready to go and as error free as is humanable possible and then some.

There isn't the clickable enlarged thumbnail image available. However, I think you will find the images displayed by AW2K do not need to be enlarged and clickable. You might consider at taking a look at some of the other AW2000 users Listings to see what I mean. The images are perfectly sized inside the Listing template frame to display the very best. And the image editor in AW2K is just really good too

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/08/06 12:28 PM

The problem I have sometimes with images and the reason why I prefer "click to enlarge" is alot of the times I receive equipment that I really have no clue of what is really does or sometimes cannot even find a quick description on it anywhere. So in return I take alot of pictures and even sometimes if I have a manual I'll take macro(setting) pictures out of the manual so the viewer can click to enlarge the picture to read what it says. As for me it's not uncommon to list a auction with 12 or more pictures to show every little detail. In past with playing with templates that do not allow "click to enlarge" the pictures just consume either one entire side from top to bottom etc. I hope you can understand where I'm going here. My current Auctiva template for instance, I can have 4 larger thumbnails in place on 1 "normal" picutre. To me this helps keep a cleaner listing.

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/08/06 12:42 PM

John,

I understand what you mean. The capabilities for click to enlarge thumbnails does not exist.

And do I hear you about getting stuff you don't know what it is. There are some weeks I am not sure about half of what my staff is putting in the database

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/08/06 01:15 PM

That's a big bummer :-(

Are there any easy work arounds ?

Is this something that may be added in the very very near future ?

freqz
(stranger )
11/08/06 01:37 PM

Almost forgot, What about the scrolling store window that is offered through Auctiva?

Am I able to post that code into the AW2K template ? (taken in alot of info in just a few emails here :-) ) But can I edit the templates and add in HTML code , etc ?

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/08/06 01:45 PM

John,

Templates can be edited and HTML code added as well as hyperlinks by using the HTML editor and adding a Page component of type HTML or hyperlink or whatever is applicable.

Now I am unsure about the scrolling store display. But I can certainly check on that for you and see. I have not seen the code so I don't know for sure about it. But for the most part, if you have the HTML code, it can be added. You can even build tables in FrontPage or Dreamweaver and add those tables into a Listing template.

As far as clickable images, I do not know if any plans are in the works or not. I'll ask though and let you know.

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/08/06 02:03 PM

Yes, please see what you can find out on the clickable images. I'm kinda suprised that it has not been addressed already.

I'm gonna play with this more tonight when I get home, to get a better feel for everything and just do a trial setup etc. I figure it'll take a few hours to get settled in with everything. If only the option of the "click to enlarge" pictures was an option, that would make the purchase so much easier. wink wink... hint hint..

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/08/06 02:08 PM

John,

Should you find you need help with the setup, let me know. Although, I will be in and out this evening, I will be around and can help you. If you find email is easier to work with during setup, don't hesitate to email. I truly don't mind.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/08/06 03:24 PM

John,

There are no plans to implement clickable thumbnail images at this time. I double checked about the HTML code for the scrolling store display. If you have the code, it can be added. I knew that was right And I do not know about any workaround for clickable thumbnail images.

Of course, keep in mind you can change the image settings in AW2K to display smaller or larger images if you so choose. You can also select the JPEG image output quality.

I think if you will set up a listing template, you will find images display quite well. There are several users migrating from SOLD! and Auctiva to AW2K. And they are finding AW2K to be just the ticket for managing auctions.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
11/08/06 04:49 PM

Hi:
I can understand you feel that the Clickable Image is important to your way of being able to list auctions. The multiple images to show detail is important especially when asking people to sort of figure out what they are buying. It's a great way to make sure they really look at what you are selling.

I've had times where that function would come in handy. However, ever since I've used AW2K (2002) I have always had a structured way to do images. Now this doesn't mean that anyone has to have a structured way I just mean that there is a pretty good way to give the detail and not use clickable images. In the set up for AW2K there is a tab under Program Options called General. On the right side there is a small setup section for images. I played around with different settings and finally settled on 500 x 500 size for each image (unless it is smaller originally). Then I crop each image to exactly what I want shown on the page with nothing extra around the edges. Each image is at 100 DPI and a JPG. I set AW2K to keep JPG output quality at the highest.

When I display images that might have been a clickable image I make sure they are listed in the template at the TOP and that way all of the images are above text and not running down the side of the page.

This way each image shows the bidder exactly what I want them to see. They can see the detail of a small image and I don't let something slip through that might be a huge image and take up a whole page.

None of this may help I'm not sure. But my best advice is to play around with the program with some of the images you have already used. There are a couple of basic templates that come with the program and one is images on top.

You will find that this program will make your auction life so much better. It is truly a fully self contained auction management tool. You are right in coming up with a new email address for your auctions. That will make life lots easier. With AW2K there are many problems that suddenly disappear when doing auctions. There are now no lost files, and no way that you can end up forgetting an invoice. What I really like most of all is that my images are always under my control and that I don't have to wait on someone else and their server to hold my auction information. All of it is under the users control on their computer. This way there are no fees to another provider that often does not provide anything.

Hope I've maybe been able to help a bit. Enjoy your tinkering with the program.

Garry

freqz
(stranger )
11/08/06 07:47 PM
Re: Thinking about purchasing but have a few ?'s new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Great input. Now a few hours ago I was presented with a very good oppertunity and I'm wondering just how AW2K may help with this.

Here is a quick overview.
53 Foot semi trailer filled with everything under the sun. Now I would say 75% of this will be sold on Ebay and the other 25% would be shipped overseas. ( All computer equipment )

What I would like to do and any help on this would be great. I would like to be able to take pictures and at least collect the basic information at to what it is, Say in the title, and also collect the weight, and what ever "right now" information I can gather, and move onto the next item and so on. Of course marking each item with a inventory number to keep track. Remember time on the job is money and this must be done very fast.

I would like to be able to do this on my laptop on the site, But then be able to come home and finish collecting the information and start listing, BUT on my Home computer. AS WELL as be able to take my information to my office and also work from there as well.

Now how can I sucessfully do this ?

Can I install this onto a 1 Gig USB flash drive ? Can I set AW2k to pull it's complete database say off the flash drive?

Also any ideas on getting pictures onto the laptop directly into the inventory super fast ??

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/08/06 09:16 PM

John,

Well now a 53 foot semi trailer of computer equipment, is a lot of equipment. Especially is the semi trailer is well cubed when loaded instead of just single pallet stacked. That's a lot of "stuff"

I'll have to tell you what I tell my college classes---there is not a magic wand to wave over product. Images must be taken, good accuate descriptions, Auction title lines must be written. There is not a shortcut. The software you use for management is what saves you time and money and keeps you organized before and after the Auction.

AW2K used correctly has the ability to generate Inventory Item numbers. Once you set up the software and understand how it works, you can move databases between computers. But the work you are wanting to do you might be better off to use Go to MYPC.com and access AW2K on your home computer via the laptop from the jobsite. Although since you are not drop shipping the product, storage will be a problem as the computer equipment cannot be stored for any length of time in a semi trailer. Temperature factors as I am sure you are aware of can ruin computer components not to mention the moisture factor.

There are a hundred methods for doing what you want to do. And the method will depend on the location of the product in proximity to your home, condition of product, the equipment you have access to on location as well as other various factors.

In short AW2K is quite capable of dealing with unlimited Inventory items and handling unlimited auctions as well as Invoicing. I have over 5000 Inventory Items in my database right now and it is continually growing.

Once you start working the product out, you will more than likely change your method more than once to become more efficient.

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/08/06 09:58 PM

yes, full trailer loaded... this is actually the second one so I know what to expect this time. We combined 15 and 17 inch monitors and sold those off overseas in a 40' container :-) I'm basically a computer broker.. what you want I will get. But now I've made a few new business partners and I'm getting alot more then just monitors now and well, ebay is the thing to move it ... Otherwise I'm only getting about .18 cents a LB does not really pay to scrap it out...

But I'm going to get this thing set up here, and I'll purchase this program as soon as I'm tested up here and configured.

So, Back to the program itself, Now will I have to install this on my laptop,home computer, and work computer, and then point to the database elsewhere ?

freqz
(stranger )
11/08/06 10:17 PM

It's getting late here for me.. 1am ... EST. But time is of value. see we pick this stuff up, and deliver it to a Offsite warehouse, unload it and sort it. So time is everything when were talking 250.00 an hour for the truck and driver.

What I'd like to do would be, I guess you could call it "short hand inventory" Take pictures, item description, and enter that into inventory. Then when I get time go back into the inventory and finish up on the description. If it can work that way ?

Again, I'm sorry for all the questions, and I have not really played with anything yet. Too many things going on here at once and not enough time in the day. A good for instance today we did a job, and due to the strict regulations we could only load 36 computer to a pallet. well, normally we stack 60 -80 on one. I have 650 being picked up friday morning. The fun never ends, and last friday I loaded a 40' overseas container with 909 17" monitors....

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 05:00 AM

John,

I don't know who you are using for moving freight but no one charges $250.00 an hour. so they are ripping you off. All trucking companies move freight based on mileage + Fuel surcharges. Detainment fees for any trucking company run in the $50.00 hour detainment not $250.00.

Thought you should know. I move freight and make trucking arrangements almost every week.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 05:06 AM

John,

I forgot to respond to the licensing question. If you use AW2K on your laptop, home computer and work computer, then yes you must purchase a license for each computer.

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/09/06 05:29 AM

AS for the Licensing, I see it's for each computer on the network. Well technically I'm not going to be using them on a network or using more then 1 instance of the program open at once. My laptop is not on a network here. I transfer infromation via, USB flash drive. I can live with starting my inventory off on my laptop but It would make things alot easier to finish and list them on my personal home computer. So I don't see that the licensing for "each networked" computer would apply. Maybe I'm wrong? I could see how it would apply to a company or persons using this on a network and if that was my situation I could understand.

freqz
(stranger )
11/09/06 05:33 AM

right, I beleive the truck was 50.00 an hour, I was including also dock fees,Hi-Lo, and workers. As for moving freight, I'm not sure what state you are in, but I've found the "Mid-States Express" is VERY VERY cheap on freight, then BAX Global, Both good for single skid rates, On trucking full loads, You can usually work out a nice low rate with Roadway.

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 07:40 AM

John,

Licensing is not for each computer in a network. The licensing is for every copy of AW2K that you install on a computer. If you install AW2K on 3 computers, you must purchase 3 licenses.

Making the type of database changes you are wanting to make in the computer configuration you are using is not practical and will not work well. As the flash drive copy from the laptop will overwrite the changes made on the Home computer or visa versa. AW2K backup is not like an "Accountant copy" in QuikBooks. It is an actual copy of the entire database.

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/09/06 08:25 AM

Ok, this is what I was going by on the purchase page.
Auction Wizard 2000 costs US$75.00 per license for the first year and US$50.00 renewal per license each year afterward. Each computer on a network requires a separate license, and each license requires annual renewal.

Now, I do understand what you saying about copy from laptop and overwriting onto the desktop, Vise-Versa. I would be more then happy if I could do just that.

ie. Offsite, use my laptop to enter inventory items. Back home take database and update and overwrite home computer.

Now during next offsite inventory listing, just basically add the step, first, copy database onto flash, overwrite onto laptop, Enter inventory, and then copy flash back to home computer and overwrite database.

See where I'm going ?? I'm not looking to run 2 programs at once.. technically it's one at a different time.

I do uynderstand running on laptop and home computer at same times entering data would require network and a shared database file. I'm not wanting to do that.

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 09:57 AM

John,

I have pasted in the Licensing agreement that is in the Help file for you.

This User License Agreement permits you to: (a) install and use one (1) copy of the Software on a single computer; and (b) install the Software on another computer only if you change your main workstation. In this case, you must uninstall the Software from the computer on which it was previously installed.

Just keep in mind that you will be overwriting work using the backup and restoring. So any successfully ended auctions from that day would be erased using the backup from the laptop that does not contain the days auctions.

Judy/blue

windquest
(newbie)
11/09/06 10:16 AM

Hi

As a Sold etc. user for 8 years I tried AW2K for about six weeks and bought it. It does everything sold did and more. I can make up a new inventory item with multiple pictures must faster also. The reports are awesome also and highly customizable. The only thing it doesn't do that Sold did is it does not have any support for snipes or any buying features. The support is excellent and I enjoy the forums which we didn't have on Sold the last year or so.

Alex

freqz
(stranger )
11/09/06 10:45 AM

Ok, I've played a little around with AW2K and one thing I can say is pretty fast. Documented information is a little lacking but nothing to bad that I can't figure out, And if not what a great support site here.

I did however download and give MarketBlast a try. I kinda liked it, but one thing I noticed was the program itself drawing the pages was extremely SLOW. nice looking interface, and it downloaded all the buyer information etc. ( Which I don't beleive AW2K will do) or will it ? Automatic gathering of information directly from ebay or off Paypal ( PAYPAL API ) ??

so now 75% AW2K and 25% marketblast

Being you've beta tested and probably know, what are your thoughts vs. the 2 programs ??

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 10:50 AM

John,

Extracting the Paypal payments is not without errors. The extraction is done via the Auction id number. If you have store items the software cannot tell which Invoice the paymentn belongs to.

All buyer information, Payments, ship via can be extracted via email.

My thoughts, I am an AW2K user and will remain so. My entire business is successfully built on the AW2K platform. I found the software I wanted to use and made company changes so everything went smoothly.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 10:52 AM

Also

MarketBlast is solely eBay auction venue. YOu are unable to list on other Auction venues greatly reducing your exposure.

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/09/06 11:01 AM

I've just scratched the marketblast idea and just uninstalled it from my computer here. Looks good but lacking alot of features. Inventory section there is very bad.

looks like AW2K 99% now.

freqz
(stranger )
11/09/06 11:04 AM

Ok, back to the license part. If purchase 2 licenses, is there a networking version of the software that I will receive ? From what I've described as to what I wanted to do using the laptop for inventory and the home computer for everything else, by purchasing 1 license for each computer how will it work for me to do what I want ?

Edited by freqz on 11/09/06 11:15 AM (server time).

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 11:19 AM

Hi,

There is not a network version. There is a configuration utility integrated into AW2000 that you run and setup for a network environment. I would strongly suggest you purchase a router especially if you are using DSL etc.

Assign one of the computers as the server and the other as a client or workstation. The network utility in AW2000 is a peer to peer network.

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/09/06 11:30 AM

I'm set up with cable 15meg down 1 meg up. router, wireless, and a 20 port switch... I can handle a network environment.

So I set up the main computer as a server, and then my laptop would be the client. understandable.

But, while I take the client "off-site" "off-network" and make changes will it sync. with the server ( Server being untouched or updated) and update with the information from the laptop ?

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 11:45 AM

Hi,

No that is not the manner in which the database works. You would be better off to use Go to My Pc.com to access the server with your laptop from the site.

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/09/06 11:54 AM

This really is not an option for me, Otherwise a freesolution would be realVNC. com .

Problem is where the warehouse is I do not have any direct connection to the web. Wireless and cellphones also do not work inside the building as well. have to go outside to get a cell signal.

So basically 2 licenses or not, I cannot work on a laptop off site and then transfer my databse to my main computer ?

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 12:01 PM

Hi,

Rather than doing that since you are going to have to do the work at home anyway, why don't you simply create an Excel spreadsheet inventory of your product. Take images in same order that product is listed in the excel spreadsheet. Each day create a new spreadsheet for what you are working on. Go home, save as CSV and import the thing into AW2K creating Inventory Items only. Add the images and add the full description. Then you don't have to worry about overwriting the database.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 12:07 PM
Re: Thinking about purchasing but have a few ?'s new [re: windquest]  

HI Alex,

Thanks for posting about migrating from SOLD! to AW2K. That is so cool! And I am with you 100%. You and me, well, we just love those reports

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/09/06 12:14 PM

And only have to buy one license :-)

Didn't know about the importing options for inventory. Guess I'll have to brush up on my Excel skills.

How many fields can be used during the inport? Any certain way they must be listed or sorted out by ?

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
11/09/06 12:21 PM
Re: Thinking about purchasing but have a few ?'s new [re: windquest]  

Alex:
You are so right about how fast the whole system is even with a lot of pictures. It is a breeze putting together an auction or an inventory item. You mentioned reports being customizable - I've been able to use them also and have adjusted everything to where the Reports tell me everything I need to know.

Garry

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 12:25 PM

Hi,

You can import most all of the Inventory Items fields. The process is outlined in the Help file. Short version, assign the column headers in Excel as same field names as in Aw2K. select which fields you want to import, hit import and Inventory Items are created for each row. Not column.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
11/09/06 12:27 PM

John:
The importing from a CVS file is explained really well in the AW2K help file. The specific order and contents of each field is outlined so that it is easy to set up your Excel Template and make a CVS file.

Garry

freqz
(stranger )
11/09/06 12:32 PM

Ok, thanks for the heads up on there. Been on the phone pretty much all day so little time, but more then normal to play. What I think I'm going to do is just create a access database w/ entry wizard with the correct headers but also include a picture count for each item ( as to how many pictures I snapped) then just export it into excel and for the cvs file.

Want to use access only because it will create a simple data entry point I beleive ( I may be wrong ) but I just tried access to excel and exported perfectly.

Now if only there was a way to like the pictures directly into the inventory ?? Any ideas there ??

Guess I better purchase this thing now so I can get started tonight :-)

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 12:43 PM

Hi,

Use the "Add Images" on each Inventory Item. You can select multiple images and add them all at once. then use order and exlcude images on the menu to re-order the images on that particular Inventory Item,

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/09/06 01:37 PM

Now this thread here would be great if someone had the time to pull information off and make a "Sticky" already asked questions post :-)

freqz
(stranger )
11/09/06 05:44 PM

Well I just made the purchase through Paypal.

How long does it usually take to get the registration code ??

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 06:34 PM

John,

It does not take long. Probably first thing in the morning since you processed the payment after business hours.

The software will run and be fully functional tonight. You can enter in the registration code the next time you run AW2000. So you can go ahead, configure your Auction profile(s), edit a listing template, edit email templates, etc.

Judy/blue

freqz
(stranger )
11/09/06 08:31 PM

BluePennylady,

I want to truely thank you for answering all my questions and going way and beyond !! I don't know if you work for, own, or are just a valued customer to AW2K, but you were the major factor for my purchase and now continued support for AW2K !!

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/09/06 09:42 PM

John,

Cool! I am glad I could be of help and that you have chosen to use AW2K. Now that you have selected the best Auction management software around anywhere, you really will have to get to work putting all that stuff in.

Judy/blue

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
11/10/06 07:05 AM

I'm so looking forward to having complete control over my auctions again like I have with SOLD!. Knee deep in paperwork spreadsheets etc right now and it's just driving me crazy. Have alot of big plans and finally now I can set them into action !! woo hoooo

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/10/06 08:16 AM
Re: Thinking about purchasing but have a few ?'s new [re: Anonymous]  

HI,

Well, you can certainly gain total control of your Auctions using AW2000. Happy auctioning!!!

Judy/blue

freqz
(newbie)
11/12/06 09:36 PM

Getting closer to getting everything ready here.... Looks like I'm keeping you busy as well answering all my questions :-)

Thanks a million !!!

John

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads