Introductions
   >> Introductions
Thread views: 28957 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mackra
(stranger )
03/27/07 10:02 PM
product comparison  

Hi everyone,
Not much activity on this board of late ... I hope someone reads this ... soon ;-)
I am a total newbie ... thinking of opening my first eBay store and not sure whether to spend the extra and go for the Featured which gets me Selling Manager Pro free (for my extra $35.00 a month) or just go for the Basic store and try a 3rd party software app for my management tools.
Came across this site and was wondering how it compared to SMP. any help appreciated.
Cheers
Robyn

bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/27/07 10:25 PM
Re: product comparison new [re: mackra]  

Hi, Robyn,

Welcome to Auction Wizard 2000. How long have you been selling on eBay?

The Featured store does not have the same "perks" it had months back. So short of Seller's manager pro (which isn't anything to write home about), a couple extra customizable pages, all you do is spend an additional $35.00 per month.

If you are leaning towards the Featured Store, something you might consider is it takes time to effectively market your eBay store in order to gain stable and consistent Store Referral Credits rolling in. Those referral credits can easily offset your subscription fees. However, basing a decision to open a Basic or Featured Store on the Seller's manager pro wouldn't be my first consideration.

I have used Seller's Manager Pro as well as BlackThorne. And I'll use Auction Wizard 2000 any day, hands down. The Auction Wizard platform is stable, Tech support is far superior. Seller's manager pro does not offer you the flexibility to build a customer base, effectively manage inventory or other aspects necessary for a successful online Auction business.

In my opinion, using a third party management tool is a much better option than using the sites tools. Regardless of whichever site you are talking about. Whether it be eBay, Overstock or Yahoo. Third party tools allow much more flexibility than the sites' own tools, which are specific to that site alone.

Auction wizard 2000 will provide you with all the necessary features and tools you need to efficiently and professionally not only manage but grow your online Auction business. You can even add thumbnail pages to your website that link back to your Auctions with AW2K.

In case you can't tell, it is my opinion, AWK can't be beat for managing your auctions.

Judy/blue

mackra
(stranger )
03/27/07 11:01 PM
Re: product comparison new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Judy,
Thanks for the quick response.
I'm not selling on eBay at all yet.
Have just got my website up and running - as basic as it is ;-)
Next step is eBay. Have got my ID and have purchased a few items to get some feedback - I'm up to 7 - yeehah ! ;-)
Would like to try Aw2K but can't afford the $100 yet, so just as well there is a 60 day trial.
So you think just the Basic eBay store (1 month free trial there too ;-) ... I can always upgrade if I feel the need.
How does the reporting on AW2K compare with SMP ?
Cheers
Robyn

bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/28/07 04:51 AM

Robyn,

Congratulations!! Getting a website up is a good thing. Most seller's do not take the time for that very important step. Good for you.

Unless absolutely necessary because of low price, if I were you, I would not start with a store yet. Start listing with items that really don't matter what they fetch at auction. Price the items to sell. The idea is to get a good feel for how you want to run your auctions before you start listing product that you need and want better prices. So you can determine what you want to do about your Terms of Sale, Payment method, how you will ship, how many days a week you will ship, etc. And you will build feedback which in the end helps bring higher selling prices.

Laying out $15.95 right at the get go, just adds a business cost that will more than likely not increase your success. Just money out of your pocket. There will be a time when you most likely really need a store. But I would hesitate opening one right off the bat until you get some running auctions time under your belt. Even if you just wait a month. That is just my opinion. You may have compelling and legitimate reasoning behind opening an eBay store right off the bat. Me, I always think of the cash outlay in the beginning

The reports in AW2K are much more extensive than in Selling Manager because AW2K does so much more. AW2K is a powerful tool. And the reports are more customizable than Selling Manager. The AW2K reports do have limitations just like anything else. But the reports are ten times better than Selling manager.

I found Selling manager to be unstable. Lots of errors. Tech support at eBay is not good. It can take days for them to respond and correct a problem. Which isn't cool when you have auctions running and need something done. I don't think I have ever waited longer than one an hour or so for AW2K tech support to respond if there was an issue. And since AW2K uses eBay's API, it is fast!

Does that help?

If you need any help setting up AW2K, don't hesitate to ask.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
03/28/07 10:27 AM

Robyn:
Judy really has given you a great answer. I just want to add that my store is just a Basic eBay store. It works just great and I see no need in giving them the extra $35.00 a month for anything else. I too use only AW2K for all auction management. The tools provided in AW2K are far better than anything else I have tried. You might want to consider also listing (FOR FREE) all of your items on Google. Simply go to Google and sign up for Google Base. Download the software and go for it. There is no charge and that extra effort will do you a lot more good than the $35.00 you would have to pay eBay for a featured store. And, who can't do with an extra $35.00 or at least keep their hard earned money.

You will find that the forum help is very good and useful. Also the aw2k tech support far exceeds any other tech support I have seen in many other computer programs.

Hope this helps. Also good luck with your eBay store. You've landed on the software that will keep it running smoothly.

Garry

mackra
(stranger )
03/28/07 06:55 PM
Re: product comparison new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Hi Garry,
Thank you for your comments too.
From what I can tell, AW2K also takes the place of Turbo Lister, am I correct ? I handle all my inventory from AW2K ?

Another thing ... my website and soon-to-be eBay store will sell only digital items of the instant download variety ... does AW2K handle this or do I need another instant download tool for this (actually which I have already) ... although eBay does a pretty good job of this also doesn't it?

Also I am based in Australia and I see that AW2K only deals in USD. I am wondering if and when I open my eBay store whether I should (if I even can) open it is USD or if it will default to AUD (haven't investigated that yet) ... my website is multi-currency with USD as the default.

And does AW2K support eBay Australia ?

Traffic reporting ...does AW2K do any reporting on this ? I see eBay using Omniture for store owners ... I used Omniture where I worked last year, the service is EXCELLENT ! Have your used your traffic reports Garry ?? I would be interested to hear your comments.

Oh ... sorry I keep thinking of things ... once I pay my subscription, does this entitle me to free upgrades as the software evolves or do all upgrades need to be paid for to get them?

Oh and BTW Garry ... just checked out your eBay store and website ... the link from your website back to your eBay store is not working correctly, you might wanna check it out.

Cheers
Robyn

Edited by mackra on 03/28/07 07:32 PM (server time).

bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/28/07 08:21 PM

Robyn,

I wondered if you were from Australia or somewhere in that part of the world as you use "Cheers" Always sounds so happy to me to here someone say "Cheers" Australia is the one place in the entire world I have always wanted to go. Been my dream. Probably never get to but I sure do dream about going to Australia.

Once you pay for AW2K, program updates are included. There is a yearly renewal like most other software. Category and Item specific updates are released every week to keep up with eBay's ever changing category/Item specific changes.

AW2K only supports USD right now. But email tech support and request Australian support so they can add it to the suggestion list.

AW2K does not support traffic reports. Those are site functions. And you are right, Omniture is excellent. I use my traffic reports all of the time. Quite good. Since you are already familiar with Omniture, you will just be right at home with them.

AW2K will take the place of Turbo Lister and much more. Handling your Inventory Items, Auction lots, Invoicing, Email and has a Ledger as well. The entire program is all linked together. Plus, something I really like, is you can configure AW2000 generated websites that upload to your website. Then the thumbnails link back to your eBay auctions or eBay store. And if you write the store URL correctly, the links qualify you for the Store Referral Credit.

Sounds like to me you are just about ready to go. I bet you are excited!!! That is so cool. You'll have to keep everyone posted on your progress! So we can all go and check out your auctions and Store!

Judy/blue

mackra
(stranger )
03/28/07 08:49 PM

Hi Judy,

Yes, I am almost ready to go ... and yes, I'm excited too ... so nervous in fact I don't know what to do first

Do I open my ebay store first ?
Download and install AW2K first ?
Do I place some standard auctions on eBay first ?

I'm hoping that AW2K comes with a very detailed (and I mean VERY detailed !) step-by-step instruction manual for the old newbie !

Any help appreciated (as it is already)

And it does work with eBay AU ???

Cheers
Robyn
Bargara ... on the beach ... 8 miles east of Bundaberg (Qld) ... home of the famous Bundaberg Rum ... and PLENTY of room for visitors !!!!

bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/28/07 10:09 PM

Robyn

AW2K does not support eBay AU at this time. US only.

I bet you do have butterflies. What to do, what to do.

Aw2K comes with a Help as well as a Tutorial. But if you need help with setup, you just holler. I'll be happy to help you any time. As will any other of the users that pop in and out. No worries, mate, we've gotta cha covered for Help Hows that for Australian talk!

What to do, what to do. hummm, I would install and setup AW2K first. And get your Inventory in it. There isn't any use of doubling the work. Might as well start from the ground up.

Even if you have a Store, you should run regular auctions as well to help drive traffic to your Store. Stores do not show up in the regular eBay auction searches unless there are under 20 of an item. Regular auctions keep you in front of buyers.

Which a cool thing about AW2K, let's say you create a regular 7 day Auction lot listing and run it once. Then decide you really want to plop that doo dad over to your store. Click the drop down for profile and select your eBay store profile. boom, the Auction lot will now be moved to your eBay store when you list it.

Judy/blue

mackra
(stranger )
03/28/07 10:31 PM

So what you're saying is that I really can't open an eBay AU store. I would have to open an eBay.com store.

I can do this being in AU ??

I've already downloaded and installed AW2K and struck my first 'snag' (Aussie for sausage)

I've started to setup the config ... my profile ...

Chose 'eBay' (coz I haven't opened a store yet)
Entered my user ID
Won't let me enter a password ... field is greyed out

Also ... tried entering my email details ...
the email address registered on eBay (AU) for my ID is associated with my domain and I can't find the POP3 and SMTP details for it anywhere ... it's hosted elsewhere ... I've sent an email to the person I bought it from for help.

Knew this wouldn't be easy

We'll get there

Cheers
Robyn

bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/29/07 05:29 AM

Robyn,

On you eBay Auction profile, you will not enter in a password as AW2K uses eBay's API to communicate. The first time you list, import auctions with AW2K, you will be asked to "Authorize Aw2K to interact with eBay on your behalf" That is completely normal. After you authorize AW2000, you'll not do it again unless you revoke the authorization. Then you'll have to do it again.

You set up an Auction profile for every user id you have at eBay. So when you open a Store, you will set up a profile for your eBay store as well You can set up as many profiles as you want. I"ll explain more about that later.

It is normal for people to have to ask for their SMTP and POP3 settings. So don't fret about it.

Where do you host your images? Where you have your website set up?? Because you will need those settings as well.

The set up requires the most time. But once done, you'll be over the hump. And don't worry about asking tons of questions or not understanding and having to ask again. All of us had to do ask at one tim or the other.

Judy/blue

mackra
(stranger )
03/29/07 05:20 PM

Hi Judy,

You have been a tremendous help ... don't know what I would have done without you.

After having taken your advice and contacted AW2K Support, they tell me that they do NOT support eBay AU .. quote from their response below ...

"Auction Wizard 2000's support for eBay is limited to the main U.S. site (www.ebay.com). It can only list and track items listed in U.S. Dollars.
Currency amounts are displayed in the program using the Windows currency settings. However, the program treats all currency amounts as though they are U.S. Dollars. We plan to add support for other currencies and International auction sites in a future version of Auction Wizard, but we do not have a timeframe for when that might happen."

So ... what to do ...

I solved the problem of the email settings and you answered the question about the password ... but ...

If the software doesn't support eBay AU ... what am I to do ? Is there a point to continuing ?

My only option ... that I can see ... is perhaps to open my store in eBay US ... if I can do that from Australia ... however after investigating the fees ... it much cheaper here in AU ... basic store subscription is only A$14.95 per month ( about US$12.00 ) and we get a free 1 month trial to start ... eBay.com doesn't give this ... only free Selling Manager (which we get anyway).

To answer your other question ... yes, my images are hosted with my site so there's no problem there.

Now I suppose I just have to decide what to do ....

I could open my eBay AU store and go without AW2K ... or
open an eBay US store (if I am able to from AU) with AW2K and pay the higher and immediate store fees.

Oh ... and another consideration is the fact the eBay US require a minimum feedback score of 20 before opening a store ... eBay AU is only 5 ... and I have 7

Decisions ... decisions .... what would you do ??

Better start making some money soon or hubby will make me go and get a *real* job ...

Cheers
Robyn

Edited by mackra on 03/29/07 05:53 PM (server time).

bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/29/07 06:24 PM

Robyn,

Well, I took it upon myself today and contacted eBay.us tech support and I asked about Australian sellers selling on the US site and the requirements Australian sellers can list on the eBay.us site even if they are just registered on the eBay.AU site. . And AW2K supports the US. site.

eBay.US offers the one month store free trial just like all the other sites do. The feedback score does not necessarily have to be 20 or higher. Being ID verified or having a verified Paypal account will work as well. All three of those options require you to have a seller's account. So if you are willing to become ID verified which costs $5.00 or have a verified Paypal account along with having a seller's account, which you have to have to list anyway, you can open an eBay store.

From past experience, and remember this is just my experience and opinion, traffic on some of the other sites is not as high as the US site, hence slightly higher fees. But the Sell Through Rate is higher as is the ending prices.

Since you already have all your currencies set to USD, I don't think that is an issue. And AW2K doesn't know it is sitting on a computer in Australia. It just can't support the other currencies, etc on the other sites. My gut, it will work fine listing from your happy home in Australia on the US site.

but just for fun, enter in a few items and list them using AW2K so you can get a feel for it. You have 60 days free to play around with it anyway.

Judy/blue

mackra
(stranger )
03/29/07 06:46 PM

Hi Judy,

Well that changes things ... yes I am PayPal verified ... so that covers that technicality.

And yes, I did intend to trade predominently in the US ... the mere population speaks for itself .. funny ... I am married to a yank ... am planning to come back there next year for our 10th wedding anniversary ... yes, 2nd time around

I actually have replied back to AW2K tech support (Thom) and asked that very question ... if it was the AU site or just the currency it doesn't support ... hoping it's just the currrency .. looks like I can work around that one ...as you say .. open a US store .. will have to just wear the higher fees.

OK then ... will get back to setting up AW2K

Thanks again for your most valuable advice.

Cheers
Robyn

bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/29/07 06:52 PM

Robyn,

I can answer that question as I asked Thom earlier today I know I am so bad. But when I start digging for information, I just dig and dig. I had the eBay teacher's tech's digging up info for me Just to be sure.

Aw2K supports the US site and only the US dollar. As far as Thom knows, as long as you are listing on the US site, AW2K will work fine. There really isn't anything to lose at all as you have a 60 day free trial. So outside of a bit of time, I would give it a whirl.

So you are married to a Yank, huh! How cool. I am married to one too. I know I am bad aren't I! Just can't help it. Sometimes ornery just falls off of me. I try to be good, I really do. doesn' always work. Ask Garry, I am forever tormenting that poor man

Now if you need help with setup, please don't even think twice about asking for help. Don't mind a bit.

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads