General
   >> Inventory Items
Thread views: 15252 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

moonstruck22
(stranger )
09/12/06 07:58 AM
To Use or Not to Use, Inventory  

I know that this subject is probably on a thread here somewhere but I couldn't find it.
My question is what is the best way to handle the items you sell if it is mostly one of kind, or unique items? Do you make a non stock inventory item? Or do you just make an auction lot?
I have done it both ways, and I kind of settled on just making an auction lot, however lately I have ended up with a lot of non selling items that I see would probably sell at a better time of the year. So I end up changing the status to hold, then later trying to find them to relist. Seems like there should be an easier way to handle items like this.
Don't know if this is real clear or not but I figured I could get a discussion going!
Thanks for the help,
Marty

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/12/06 08:21 AM
Re: To Use or Not to Use, Inventory new [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty,

When training new companies and individuals, I recommend to always use the Inventory Items for 100% of all product. Even if there is only 1 item for several reasons.

There are some reports that are unavailable unless you use Inventory Items. Even though the user "thinks" they will never need those reports, should the need arrive at a later date, it is all but impossible to backtrack.

When using Non-stock Inventory items, the user can elect to group several of the Non stock inventory items together onto a single Auction lot and offer the grouping together. Really nice feature. I use it quite frequently.

Should you find more of the same item at a later date and you have created a Stock Inventory Item, instead of re-doing all information, simply change the qty in stock and you are good to go. You can also add the Category fields in the Inventory Items for all the Auction sites on which you list so when changing an Auction profile, the category, shipping options, etc are loaded from the Inventory Items. If you only use Auction lots, you will need to complete all those fields should you elect to move Auction lots between Auction Sites.

It is much easier to organize product using the Inventory Items. Seasonal goods can be entered into the computer without cluttering the Auction lots window, cataloged with the appropriate Inv. Category and Reference ID. Then when the "season" is nearing, Auction lots can be created and you are ready to list without being pressured.

These are a few of the reasons I recommend using the Inventory Items window. I use that window for 100% of our inventory, regardless if I have 1 or not. Everything goes into the Inventory Items window first. You can proof the descriptions, images, etc much more easily without being stuck in the Auction lots windows. Something doesn't get accidentally listed because you forget whether or not you have proofed the Auction lot or not.

Just a thought.

Judy/blue

moonstruck22
(stranger )
09/12/06 08:40 AM
Re: To Use or Not to Use, Inventory new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy,
Thanks that helps alot, I needed to hear it from someone else so I could wrap my head around it!
However here's a few more questions:
How do you decide, stock or non-stock?
Can that be changed down the road at some point?
And how would you handle a "seasonal' item after you have made it an inventory item, listed the auction and it doesn't sell?
Thank again for your input,
Marty

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/12/06 11:09 AM

Marty,

I use 100% of the time Stock Inventory Items even if I have qty of 1. There are a couple of reasons.

#1. I am a true "blue" liquidator. So I never know when another of the exact same item will arrive in a different box. It is much easier to manage inventory that way.

#2. If I create a Stock Inventory Item for qty 1 and later decide I wish to group several of the qty1 Inventory Items together, I can simply delete the offfline Auction lot, uncheck the "Stock" box, and the Inventory Item becomes a Non-Stock Inventory Item. However, an Non stock Inventory item cannot be changed into a Stock Inventory Item after an Auction lot has been created. The fields that allow the Stock options disappear when an Auction lot is created.

"If a Seasonal Item does not sell after an Auction lot has been created:" We handle that situation in 2 different ways depending on what the product(s) are.

Sometimes the Auction lots are simply placed on "Hold" which stores them from view as the Show/Hide record filters are set to not display Hold items on all my computers. We change the Show/Hide record filters several times a day on every work station. But the Hold is rarely displayed unless we are working on something on Hold.

The other thing we do is delete the Auction lot. Normally deleting the Auction lot is done if I am going to group Non-Stock Inventory items together onto a single Auction lot. Or if I have done a wholesale to a customer and manually created an Invoice and adding Invoice items to it. I do not add Offline Auction lots because the Auction id is included. Invariably, my staff will fprget and try to submit feedback. Then I have errors. So we just don't add offline Auction lots as Invoice Items. Only Inventory Items.

Does that make sense? Or more importantly, does that help at all??

Judy/blue

moonstruck22
(stranger )
09/12/06 11:30 AM

Judy,
Yes makes sense, and does help.
In fact, when I fiirst started using the program that's what I did. I would make each item a stock inventory item, and to be honest I don't remember why I stopped, I am sure at the time there was a good reason but right now I don't know what it was. One of the BIG reasons I choose AW2K was because I could prep actions and/or inventory items on my schedule.
I hate to keep asking you questions but,
When you delete an "offline" auction lot, what happens to the reporting of the fees charged when you puill up reports?

Again I want to thank you for your input, and your willingness to share your experiences, and knowlege!

Marty

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/12/06 11:47 AM

Marty,

No worries. I don't mind the questions at all. So ask away!

Auction fees are stored solely on the Auction lots. So if the Auction lot is deleted, so are the fees associated with that particular Auction lot. There is a work around

Type the related Auction fees into the "Notes" of the Inventory Item. Then when you create an Auction lot or group Non-Stock Inventory Items together, you can manually add those fees back on the Auction lot so your reports are accurate.

Hope that helps.

Judy/blue

Edited by bluepennylady on 09/12/06 11:47 AM (server time).

moonstruck22
(stranger )
09/12/06 12:02 PM

Judy,
Seems like a perfect work around.
I am seeing that using the inventory can greatly reduce "auction lot" clutter. I am going to take your advice and begin with my next item.
And since you don't mind questions.......
I suppose that there is no way to "automagically" make an inventory item from an auction lot right?
Thanks again,
Marty

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/12/06 12:21 PM

Marty,

I don't mind at all

There is not a method of backtracking after the fact. However, there is an option to create an Inventory Item for each Auction lot when you first import auctions when setting up AW2K. Doesn't that make you feel better?

But, here is something you can do if you would like to have an Inventory Item for each Auction lot. It does require a bit of work on your part, but I have done it before for others when they discovered they really needed Inventory Items.

Create an Inventory Item using the "+" on the Inventory Items window. Then go to the auction lot for which you would like to have an Inventory Item. Copy the Auction lot description, then go the Inventory Item and paste it into the Description field. Add the Item specifics, category, Store categories, Start price, Buy Price or Reserve, if applicable. Consignor field if you need that.

Go back to the Auction lot, and Save the Image(s) to a file. Anywhere on your hard drive will work as long as you remember where you saved the images to

Go back to the Inventory Item and add the images. Now comes the tricky part. You'll need to copy and paste the Auction id number somewhere where you can keep it for a minute. And record the Start/close dates as well as any fees incurred. Create a new Auction lot from your new Inventory Item. Paste the Auction id back into the Auction id field Add the correct Start and Close date. Change the status to online and update that lot to be sure everything is correct.

You manually add the fees into the Auction lot Additional tab. Then delete the original Auction lot. Now you have an Inventory Item that is associated to an Auction lot.

If you have had buyers bid on the Auction lot, you can add those as well. If the Auction is online and has buyers, personally I would just leave it alone until the Auction has closed and then backtrack. And that particular Auction lot would not have an Inventory Item. Does that make sense?

It does take some time but if you need an Inventory Item, it will work. And if you have quite a few Auction lots, it could take quite a while to do.

Judy/blue

moonstruck22
(stranger )
09/12/06 12:38 PM

Judy,

"when setting up", oh yea real warm and fuzzy!

Your process is wonderful, however I don't think I need an inventory item that bad to invest that much time, remember I said "automagically"!

But it is good to know that if in the future I would happen to need it done I could.

I am just going to start from this point and press on!

Marty

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/12/06 12:46 PM

Marty,

I thought that might make you feel much better just knowing that it could be done when setting up. It does give you that fuzzy feelin' , doesn't it

Most people don't need the Inventory Items that bad and will simply start from a point on. That is as automatic as I can get it I automatically knew what to tell you

Judy/blue

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads