General
   >> Inventory Items
Thread views: 50487 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
moonstruck22
(stranger )
10/23/06 10:14 AM
Reference ID Creation  

In an attempt to avoid recreating the wheel, I am searching for input.

Any tips, suggestions for creating the "Reference ID"

Just looking for parameters that have worked for others, that we could implement.

Thanks in advance,

Marty

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/23/06 10:39 AM
Re: Reference ID Creation new [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty,

I am sure others will give input but I'll be happy to share how we use the Reference ID field. And I'll use "For instances" to make the reasoning to our madness make more sense {smile]

We use the Inventory Category for defining categories similar to eBay, Overstock or our eBAy store. For Instance, Stanley screwdrivers, is one of our Inventory Category values.

The reference Id we use for the Product number. Such as "quick wedge 1734", or "stanley 64-886 flatb". We use the Reference ID for the ISPN numbers on books too.

Does that help?

Judy/blue

moonstruck22
(stranger )
10/23/06 11:13 AM
Re: Reference ID Creation new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy,
Yes it helps. We use the Inventory Category the same but never used the Ref. ID. Just figured if we started using it it should "reference" something!
It was also becoming obvious that it would be useful for reports or sorts.

And if you may remember just a few weeks ago I decided to start using the inventory function again. Have added quite a few items and then light bulbs come on and I wondered over the weekend if I should be utilizing the Ref ID!

Here's another inventory question: Does the "Status" only show up for non-stock items?

Thanks again for helping out!

Marty

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/23/06 11:20 AM

Marty,

I am glad that helped. Inventory Items is the way to go in my books. Even if you only sell one of a kind items and never have repetition. There are reports that are not accessible without the Inventory ITem, you have better control over what is listed and when. Plus seasonal goods can be entered in way in advance without clogging up the Auction lots tab. We work on Christmas stuff in July

You are correct. The "Status" only appears on non-Stock Inventory Items. And something you might consider, unless you are going to be grouping non-stock Inventory items onto a single Auction lot, is making all INventory Items a Stock Inventory Item. With the Stock INventory Items, you can see where the product is committed, etc. Which for me, I really like instead of clicking the hammer to see where it is.

And should you decide that you want to group Stock Inventory Items onto a single auction lot for a grouping, there is a work around for doing that.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/23/06 02:46 PM

Marty:
This may or may not be helpful as I'm not sure what your items are. Judy's reply seemed to cover it well. In my instance my reference ID is important in that it carries all the way through to packing of the item. Each auction has a unique reference ID. It prints on the invoice, I use the invoice and the reference ID to pull the merchandise and pack it. In fact some customers tell me that they use the Ref ID to double check against the invoice to check that I've not messed up in sending them their "stuff".

My ref ID can be : BH/isr5-28/ac

Remember I'm selling postage stamps for collectors - here is how the Ref ID works for me. First of all each packet of stamps has a Reference ID number on the ouside - I use the tiny avery labels. The first two letters (can be more than two) denote the wholesaler or where I obtained the item. The letters numbers after the slash / tell me what collection or group in this case it is from the third group of Israel stamps. The last number is a consecutive number beginning at 1 and stopping when that whole lot of stamps has been readied for auction - it could be 10 or 300 or anywhere the count stops. The letters after the number tell me how many of that particular stamp or set of stamps I have in inventory - so I can relist and or offer a second chance.

I'm just realizing that this may be more confusing to you that helpful. So I'll quit while I'm ahead. LOL But, for me, the Ref ID is very important and most of all darn useful.

Garry

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/23/06 03:00 PM
Re: Reference ID Creation new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

we use the Reference Id in the same manner. I customized one of the Printed INvoices for a packing slip. That packing slip contains Storage location, Inventory Item number and the Reference Id so my staff can double check when product is pulled and taken to the shipping department. Reduces errors.

And since I understand the Reference Id, I don't think what you said is the least bit confusing

Judy/blue

moonstruck22
(stranger )
10/23/06 03:17 PM
Re: Reference ID Creation new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

This is helpful too. What I figured is that everyone would use it in some different way. And I figured that it could be real useful if set up right from the start. So that is why I threw it out there to get multiple ideas that could be customized to specific users.

As far as what we sell, mostly one of a kind antique and collecibles. But we buy estates and get everything, good bad and ugly! At the moment we are trying to increase our eBay exposure. We have been kind of on again off again and want to really make a go at it this time!

Thanks for the input, I will figure out a system soon, I hope!

Marty

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/23/06 03:24 PM

Judy:
Thanks - I was afraid that it was beginning to sound a great deal like directions for getting a rocket to some obsure 8th galaxy planet without a tricoder.

'Cause I don't have extra help the invoice that is included with the shipment is enough for me to locate and pack the item. In your instance I like what you did with the packing slip. My invoice - with the Reference ID included for each item on each line - suffices as a packing slip for my customers.

Garry

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/23/06 03:31 PM

Marty:

Glad that it helped. The system I explained of course is unique to me and yours will have to be unique to you. However, my wholesaler or source of items could be your estate code. If you end up using the ID number you will find that it is so much easier to keep things straight and you'll wonder how you got along without it before. It can also even have encoded in it the storage area where the item is. Because it is a freeform part of the database you can make it any way you wish.

Good luck with it - and most importantly good luck with the extra work on eBay exposure. I know it is a lot of time and effort but hang in there and it will be worth it. You've at least got the AW2K part - and it sure helps you put efforts in other areas 'cause you don't have to worry about the auction management end of it.

Garry

moonstruck22
(stranger )
10/23/06 03:31 PM

Garry/Judy,

It wasn't confusing to me either and I am not using it yet!
I also like the idea of using it for storage location and pulling items. But I not having to deal with "staff" at the moment just a one man show, I just remember where I put it!

Referencing another post, Judy can I borrow your "sisters" for a couple weeks?
I have 2000 plus items that need to placed into AW2K Inventory!!!

Marty

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads