General
   >> Inventory Items
Thread views: 50045 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
AquilaStamps
(member)
10/28/06 07:30 AM
Re: Reference ID Creation new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:
Actually UPC codes are so much easier. THe work is already done and there is a list of all codes available on the internet. Also if you are not sure of the code there is a reverse list by manufacture.

When I worked for the Publisher we had to get a new code very time we put out a new title so I ended up working with the guy who was on the original committee that developed the code. I learned more about UPC's than I thought anyone would ever need.

But, the nice thing about them is that they are unique and with the check digit you can tell immediatly if you have a problem or not in typing out the number. Also there is a way to generate a UPC code for IN-HOUSE use ONLY. Very much like the grocery store does on a package of meat - the UPC code they use for that package is generated in house and contains the info they want - weight and selling price. So if a particular item doesn't have one for some reason or other you can generate one and it will be good for your purposes. This way everything would be the same across the board. Also when printing them on labels you are given the opportunity to print out the human readable part of the code - fancy talk for the numbers - so that if someone does not have the little pen scanner with them they can still find the particular code they are looking for. You can also get real fancy with a UPC reader that is infra-red and can read a code from across the room as long as you can point the device at the code. Sorta like a quick-draw-McGraw thingie.

Garry

superbuy
(stranger )
10/28/06 11:58 PM
Re: Reference ID Creation new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Judy,

I use a Symbol Hotshot hand scanner which has a trigger on the handle. You can also use those old Radio Shack CueCat scanners they gave away for free. I've seen CueCat's that were converted to USB for sale on eBay for next to nothing. None of these scanners require drivers to work. The decoding ability is built in so when you scan it outputs text.

A UPC scanner is a must if you are selling on Half.com since you can use descriptions from their database saving you countless hours of work.

I've used a website: UPCDatabase.com to look up information on a UPC such as what company made a item that had no Brand name attached. You can also scan a product UPC number directly into google and usually pull up some quick information that you can use for your descriptions. This might be cheating but it's a lot faster.

I use the Avery 8160 1" x 2 5/8" labels since I had a good supply already on hand.

Garry, I like the way you are using bar codes. It sounds like it would work well. Keep on sharing your best practices. I'm hoping to make it to the big leagues like you guys with as little pain as possible. lol

It would be nice addition for AW2K to print bar codes for inventory items. It's a feature that I haven't seen in any other Auction software.

It all boils down to 'working smarter and not harder'. Inventory control with the ability to quickly locate and pick the merchandise will save us time and help prevent shipping errors.

I love the way everyone is helping each other out. Thanks guys!

Larry

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/29/06 05:09 AM
Re: Reference ID Creation new [re: superbuy]  

In reply to:

It would be nice addition for AW2K to print bar codes for inventory items

It has been suggested to AW2000 tech support.

I use the same size Avery labels. And have a stack of those dudes myself. It is so funny everyone started talking about using the UPC codes in the Reference ID. Dale & I really were just sitting in our office at the house Friday morning, drinking coffee and talking about switching over to the UPC code intead of using the product number. Using the product number has worked very well as the Reference ID for the last several years. However, it is not working as well now. This particular hardware supplier we are liquidating has restrictions. Each tool has the product number and the Tool supplier's own catalog number, of which we are not allowed to use. For some reason, my staff has the hardest time remembering which number to use in the Reference ID. It has been a challenge. That is one of the pressing reasons for switching to the UPC code.

Thanks for sharing the barcoder brand.

I am thinking if I use the barcode in the Reference ID, then, use a Customized Inventory List report that only displays the Stock Inventory Item number, Reference ID, Auction Title, Storage Location, 'cause that fits on an Avery label, I can print those out from AW2K to attach to the product even further reducing order picking errors. And yes you can force AW2K to print on pinfed labels. You just have to fake out AW2K to thinking you are printing on a laser label. Change a few printer settings and you are good to go. We do it all of the time. I have never used laser labels. But I have Panasonic KXP pinfed printers for other purposes. And we use them for all our AW2K printing as well.

Sharing ideas is what makes us all better and more efficient. I love reading what everyone else does
Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/29/06 08:49 PM
Re: Reference ID Creation new [re: superbuy]  

Larry:

It's funny you talked about the CueCat. Remember the rumble that was heard forever when they first came out. It was over the fact that when you used it with their software it would keep track of how it was used. Long before spyware but people were sure miffed when they found out that the capability was there. I've still got mine and it works like a charm with XP. The only problem is of course you're teathered to the computer with it. However, when I'm doing auction lots, and when I get to the Reference ID I just scan one of my madeup UPC's and cuecat puts it into the software because the computer thinks it is a keyboard.

I agree that it would be so kewl if aw2k could print UPC's but I guess that is gotta be way down on the list of need to do stuff for Thom. For now I use Avery Design Pro software. It prints all of the various Barcodes and will even scale them down to the 1/2 x 1 1/4 label size that I use (Avery 5167).

The UPCDatabase.com site is really good and now there is even more info available there. He has revised it quite a bit lately. I used it often looking up UPC codes. Even now when I run across something unusual or old with a UPC I try to log on and enter the info to help him build up the database.

All in all the UPC code has helped me break down large lots of material and put it in order to make it easy to find. Most of all if it helps prevent sending the wrong item to someone. There is nothing like having someone spend $100.00 for a stamp and then sending them a $0.50 one in error. With the UPC and readable numbers showing it is easy to double check.

Sounds as if you are working smart with your stuff. Your idea of scanning into Google is great. I would never have thought of that but it only makes sense. And heck no it's not cheating. Any way to get a good description of an auction is a fantastic way. Hang in there and keep on working with AW2K and you'll find more ways to make your auction life a lot easier.

Garry

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads