General
   >> Inventory Items
Thread views: 50052 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
moonstruck22
(stranger )
10/23/06 10:14 AM
Reference ID Creation  

In an attempt to avoid recreating the wheel, I am searching for input.

Any tips, suggestions for creating the "Reference ID"

Just looking for parameters that have worked for others, that we could implement.

Thanks in advance,

Marty

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/23/06 10:39 AM
Re: Reference ID Creation new [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty,

I am sure others will give input but I'll be happy to share how we use the Reference ID field. And I'll use "For instances" to make the reasoning to our madness make more sense {smile]

We use the Inventory Category for defining categories similar to eBay, Overstock or our eBAy store. For Instance, Stanley screwdrivers, is one of our Inventory Category values.

The reference Id we use for the Product number. Such as "quick wedge 1734", or "stanley 64-886 flatb". We use the Reference ID for the ISPN numbers on books too.

Does that help?

Judy/blue

moonstruck22
(stranger )
10/23/06 11:13 AM
Re: Reference ID Creation new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy,
Yes it helps. We use the Inventory Category the same but never used the Ref. ID. Just figured if we started using it it should "reference" something!
It was also becoming obvious that it would be useful for reports or sorts.

And if you may remember just a few weeks ago I decided to start using the inventory function again. Have added quite a few items and then light bulbs come on and I wondered over the weekend if I should be utilizing the Ref ID!

Here's another inventory question: Does the "Status" only show up for non-stock items?

Thanks again for helping out!

Marty

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/23/06 11:20 AM

Marty,

I am glad that helped. Inventory Items is the way to go in my books. Even if you only sell one of a kind items and never have repetition. There are reports that are not accessible without the Inventory ITem, you have better control over what is listed and when. Plus seasonal goods can be entered in way in advance without clogging up the Auction lots tab. We work on Christmas stuff in July

You are correct. The "Status" only appears on non-Stock Inventory Items. And something you might consider, unless you are going to be grouping non-stock Inventory items onto a single Auction lot, is making all INventory Items a Stock Inventory Item. With the Stock INventory Items, you can see where the product is committed, etc. Which for me, I really like instead of clicking the hammer to see where it is.

And should you decide that you want to group Stock Inventory Items onto a single auction lot for a grouping, there is a work around for doing that.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/23/06 02:46 PM

Marty:
This may or may not be helpful as I'm not sure what your items are. Judy's reply seemed to cover it well. In my instance my reference ID is important in that it carries all the way through to packing of the item. Each auction has a unique reference ID. It prints on the invoice, I use the invoice and the reference ID to pull the merchandise and pack it. In fact some customers tell me that they use the Ref ID to double check against the invoice to check that I've not messed up in sending them their "stuff".

My ref ID can be : BH/isr5-28/ac

Remember I'm selling postage stamps for collectors - here is how the Ref ID works for me. First of all each packet of stamps has a Reference ID number on the ouside - I use the tiny avery labels. The first two letters (can be more than two) denote the wholesaler or where I obtained the item. The letters numbers after the slash / tell me what collection or group in this case it is from the third group of Israel stamps. The last number is a consecutive number beginning at 1 and stopping when that whole lot of stamps has been readied for auction - it could be 10 or 300 or anywhere the count stops. The letters after the number tell me how many of that particular stamp or set of stamps I have in inventory - so I can relist and or offer a second chance.

I'm just realizing that this may be more confusing to you that helpful. So I'll quit while I'm ahead. LOL But, for me, the Ref ID is very important and most of all darn useful.

Garry

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/23/06 03:00 PM
Re: Reference ID Creation new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

we use the Reference Id in the same manner. I customized one of the Printed INvoices for a packing slip. That packing slip contains Storage location, Inventory Item number and the Reference Id so my staff can double check when product is pulled and taken to the shipping department. Reduces errors.

And since I understand the Reference Id, I don't think what you said is the least bit confusing

Judy/blue

moonstruck22
(stranger )
10/23/06 03:17 PM

Garry,

This is helpful too. What I figured is that everyone would use it in some different way. And I figured that it could be real useful if set up right from the start. So that is why I threw it out there to get multiple ideas that could be customized to specific users.

As far as what we sell, mostly one of a kind antique and collecibles. But we buy estates and get everything, good bad and ugly! At the moment we are trying to increase our eBay exposure. We have been kind of on again off again and want to really make a go at it this time!

Thanks for the input, I will figure out a system soon, I hope!

Marty

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/23/06 03:24 PM

Judy:
Thanks - I was afraid that it was beginning to sound a great deal like directions for getting a rocket to some obsure 8th galaxy planet without a tricoder.

'Cause I don't have extra help the invoice that is included with the shipment is enough for me to locate and pack the item. In your instance I like what you did with the packing slip. My invoice - with the Reference ID included for each item on each line - suffices as a packing slip for my customers.

Garry

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/23/06 03:31 PM

Marty:

Glad that it helped. The system I explained of course is unique to me and yours will have to be unique to you. However, my wholesaler or source of items could be your estate code. If you end up using the ID number you will find that it is so much easier to keep things straight and you'll wonder how you got along without it before. It can also even have encoded in it the storage area where the item is. Because it is a freeform part of the database you can make it any way you wish.

Good luck with it - and most importantly good luck with the extra work on eBay exposure. I know it is a lot of time and effort but hang in there and it will be worth it. You've at least got the AW2K part - and it sure helps you put efforts in other areas 'cause you don't have to worry about the auction management end of it.

Garry

moonstruck22
(stranger )
10/23/06 03:31 PM

Garry/Judy,

It wasn't confusing to me either and I am not using it yet!
I also like the idea of using it for storage location and pulling items. But I not having to deal with "staff" at the moment just a one man show, I just remember where I put it!

Referencing another post, Judy can I borrow your "sisters" for a couple weeks?
I have 2000 plus items that need to placed into AW2K Inventory!!!

Marty

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/23/06 03:35 PM

Marty,

Something else for helping track Inventory Items, is the user defined fields. Those fields are also searchable and can be included in reports. So if you need additional information for a particular Inventory Item you can use those field. I use them all of the time. My staff initials their work and other data. I can sort by each field and determine who has done what. Pretty handy.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/23/06 03:37 PM

Marty,

I'm not sure they are available for loan. I have them buried in the back warehouse and they are fairly certain I will never unbury them

Judy/blue

superbuy
(stranger )
10/27/06 04:25 PM

Judy is right about using the user defined fields.I labeled the first one for a barcode number. I have several hundred new and used remote controls I'm liquidating. I used a program to print barcode labels in numeric ascending order with the number visible right below the barcode. I put the remote controls in plastic bags attached a unique barcode to each of them. I created a inventory item for each of them and used a scanner to input the barcode number into the user defined field. When the item is sold it is very easy for me to find the correct remote. It works well for me.
Larry

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/27/06 07:51 PM
Re: Reference ID Creation new [re: superbuy]  

Larry,

How exciting!! We have talked about the possibilities of scanning barcodes into AW2K. I am so glad you posted you are actually doing it. That is way too cool!!

What brand of scanner are you using? And do you import the barcode numeral into the User field via a CSV file?

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/27/06 08:13 PM

I too use barcodes but in a slightly different way. If I have a large collection that is going to sell as a unit rather than being broken down it gets a b/c number. It is placed in a box put on the shelf and the box has the barcode on it. If there is a carton of an ecclectic mixture of stuff it too gets barcoded. Anything that is either bulky and goes as one item, or if it is a logical unit it gets a barcode. I do the same thing - print out the numbers on the barcode so they are human readable. However, remember my references to cheapo? Hmmm? well
I use the avery teeny tiny labels (Avery # 5167 and the size is 1/2 x 1 3/4) I have a program done by Avery that prints labels. And wonder of wonders it has a barcode section in it. Sooooooooo that's what I use. I generate the barcode number based on my formula. Print out the label/or labels. Usually three of each. The number that is generated is readable on the barcode and that number goes into the reference ID section of aw2k. I have a pen type reader and just swipe the code when I'm going to pick up something for shipping to verify that I have the right one and it shows on the little printout on the edge of the scanning pen.

The Barcodes really help a lot and it also takes away a LOT of searching through stuff to find what I thought was on that shelf. It works well. As I said in another post everything doesn't get the bar code but a number made from supplier etc.

Garry

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/27/06 08:16 PM

Judy:
There is a barcode reader - again it looks like a large pen and it makes the 'puter think it is a keyboard. SO when you swipe a barcode it decodes it and types the numbers where ever you want them in the 'puter - such as the Reference ID number or any of the user defined fields - as long as the cursor is on the line the barcode scanner pen will place the numbers right there. It is so slick

Garry

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/28/06 02:05 AM

Garry,

That is slick. And that is what I was after. I do not use barcodes, although with this huge tool supply I am liquidating, I am beginning to think it might have been a better idea.

All our product is labeled using the Stock Inventory Item numbers generated by AW2K. But I am seriously looking at a barcoder for some of these larger stocks we get in. AND if I am so lucky as to get the actual Inventory in an Excel spreadsheet so I can import it, I could add the barcode to the reference id field. Which would be sooooo slick and handy.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/28/06 07:06 AM

Judy:
Do not each of the hardware items already have a UPC number? The program (free from avery) will generate the UPC code for you and print it on stickers. The pen reader will read the UPC code also.

There also is a web site that will translate a UPC code for you if you are not sure what the code belongs to.

If you use the current UPC code that is on the tool you won't have to generate yet another funky set of numbers.

Garry

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/28/06 07:11 AM

Garry,

Yes they do have UPC codes. And actually Dale & I are sitting here at the computer. I showed him how you and Larry are doing yours. And we were just talking about how the UPC code would be much better. The way the staff is doing it right now is becoming a challenge to identify product as some are so close.

Judy

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/28/06 07:17 AM

Garry,

And we talked about using the UPC code in the beginning. But in the beginning the entire hardware store was not coming to our facility. Only a small portion. But I ended up with the entire thing, which is fine. I had already started another method. But now, I am going to have to change methods as it is becoming a challenge.

For instance, safety glasses. We have Uvex and Willson. I have every single style and color that Uvex makes. The product number for each color in each style is only 1 digit different. And hand keying it in, the staff is forever transposing numbers. Then no one can find it again. The UPC code would eliminate that problem.

It is funny you all started talking about it. Dale is home this week from traveling and he and I were just talking about changing to using UPC codes.

I think I have the Avery program on my old server at the store. I am just positive it is there.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/28/06 07:30 AM

Judy:
Actually UPC codes are so much easier. THe work is already done and there is a list of all codes available on the internet. Also if you are not sure of the code there is a reverse list by manufacture.

When I worked for the Publisher we had to get a new code very time we put out a new title so I ended up working with the guy who was on the original committee that developed the code. I learned more about UPC's than I thought anyone would ever need.

But, the nice thing about them is that they are unique and with the check digit you can tell immediatly if you have a problem or not in typing out the number. Also there is a way to generate a UPC code for IN-HOUSE use ONLY. Very much like the grocery store does on a package of meat - the UPC code they use for that package is generated in house and contains the info they want - weight and selling price. So if a particular item doesn't have one for some reason or other you can generate one and it will be good for your purposes. This way everything would be the same across the board. Also when printing them on labels you are given the opportunity to print out the human readable part of the code - fancy talk for the numbers - so that if someone does not have the little pen scanner with them they can still find the particular code they are looking for. You can also get real fancy with a UPC reader that is infra-red and can read a code from across the room as long as you can point the device at the code. Sorta like a quick-draw-McGraw thingie.

Garry

superbuy
(stranger )
10/28/06 11:58 PM

Judy,

I use a Symbol Hotshot hand scanner which has a trigger on the handle. You can also use those old Radio Shack CueCat scanners they gave away for free. I've seen CueCat's that were converted to USB for sale on eBay for next to nothing. None of these scanners require drivers to work. The decoding ability is built in so when you scan it outputs text.

A UPC scanner is a must if you are selling on Half.com since you can use descriptions from their database saving you countless hours of work.

I've used a website: UPCDatabase.com to look up information on a UPC such as what company made a item that had no Brand name attached. You can also scan a product UPC number directly into google and usually pull up some quick information that you can use for your descriptions. This might be cheating but it's a lot faster.

I use the Avery 8160 1" x 2 5/8" labels since I had a good supply already on hand.

Garry, I like the way you are using bar codes. It sounds like it would work well. Keep on sharing your best practices. I'm hoping to make it to the big leagues like you guys with as little pain as possible. lol

It would be nice addition for AW2K to print bar codes for inventory items. It's a feature that I haven't seen in any other Auction software.

It all boils down to 'working smarter and not harder'. Inventory control with the ability to quickly locate and pick the merchandise will save us time and help prevent shipping errors.

I love the way everyone is helping each other out. Thanks guys!

Larry

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/29/06 05:09 AM

In reply to:

It would be nice addition for AW2K to print bar codes for inventory items

It has been suggested to AW2000 tech support.

I use the same size Avery labels. And have a stack of those dudes myself. It is so funny everyone started talking about using the UPC codes in the Reference ID. Dale & I really were just sitting in our office at the house Friday morning, drinking coffee and talking about switching over to the UPC code intead of using the product number. Using the product number has worked very well as the Reference ID for the last several years. However, it is not working as well now. This particular hardware supplier we are liquidating has restrictions. Each tool has the product number and the Tool supplier's own catalog number, of which we are not allowed to use. For some reason, my staff has the hardest time remembering which number to use in the Reference ID. It has been a challenge. That is one of the pressing reasons for switching to the UPC code.

Thanks for sharing the barcoder brand.

I am thinking if I use the barcode in the Reference ID, then, use a Customized Inventory List report that only displays the Stock Inventory Item number, Reference ID, Auction Title, Storage Location, 'cause that fits on an Avery label, I can print those out from AW2K to attach to the product even further reducing order picking errors. And yes you can force AW2K to print on pinfed labels. You just have to fake out AW2K to thinking you are printing on a laser label. Change a few printer settings and you are good to go. We do it all of the time. I have never used laser labels. But I have Panasonic KXP pinfed printers for other purposes. And we use them for all our AW2K printing as well.

Sharing ideas is what makes us all better and more efficient. I love reading what everyone else does
Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/29/06 08:49 PM

Larry:

It's funny you talked about the CueCat. Remember the rumble that was heard forever when they first came out. It was over the fact that when you used it with their software it would keep track of how it was used. Long before spyware but people were sure miffed when they found out that the capability was there. I've still got mine and it works like a charm with XP. The only problem is of course you're teathered to the computer with it. However, when I'm doing auction lots, and when I get to the Reference ID I just scan one of my madeup UPC's and cuecat puts it into the software because the computer thinks it is a keyboard.

I agree that it would be so kewl if aw2k could print UPC's but I guess that is gotta be way down on the list of need to do stuff for Thom. For now I use Avery Design Pro software. It prints all of the various Barcodes and will even scale them down to the 1/2 x 1 1/4 label size that I use (Avery 5167).

The UPCDatabase.com site is really good and now there is even more info available there. He has revised it quite a bit lately. I used it often looking up UPC codes. Even now when I run across something unusual or old with a UPC I try to log on and enter the info to help him build up the database.

All in all the UPC code has helped me break down large lots of material and put it in order to make it easy to find. Most of all if it helps prevent sending the wrong item to someone. There is nothing like having someone spend $100.00 for a stamp and then sending them a $0.50 one in error. With the UPC and readable numbers showing it is easy to double check.

Sounds as if you are working smart with your stuff. Your idea of scanning into Google is great. I would never have thought of that but it only makes sense. And heck no it's not cheating. Any way to get a good description of an auction is a fantastic way. Hang in there and keep on working with AW2K and you'll find more ways to make your auction life a lot easier.

Garry

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads