General
   >> Inventory Items
Thread views: 8056 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Ned
(stranger )
04/05/07 07:42 PM
Actual weight in User Field?  

I've got a bunch of small, light, high value items for sale. I'd like to record the actual weight (not the shipping weight) in my inventory record and use that info to total up the weight of a purchase of multiple items.

I thought that a User Field would help, but I think I'm trying to force it into something it wasn't intended for. The text fields aren't much use--can't total them. The non-text fields are Currency. At the moment, I just know that when the value is $5.00, that means it's 5 ounces. Not very satisfactory, and I still don't see any facility to do arithmetic on them.

So now I have even more problems. I need a solution to my actual weight problem. Explaining to me that I'm going at it all wrong will count as a solution.

The other problem: What use are the User Fields? Why are some of them Currency? They could just as well all be Text, as far as I can see.

Ned

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/05/07 08:05 PM
Re: Actual weight in User Field? new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

I use "notes" to record the actual weight. And we manually add those weights up if someone inquires about shipping costs.

Then we configure the Specify Shipping cost using Custom Weights for each Inventory Item using the shipping weight. IYour eBay Preferences will allow you to configure shipping discounts several different ways. Including a combined weight plus a single handling charge.

You can insert the weights into User fields and customize a report to tally up the values in the User fields for a specified range of Inventory Item records. The only problem is you must select either single Inventory Item records or contiguous records. You cannot select non-contiguous records. Does that make sense?

Judy/blue

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads