General
   >> Inventory Items
Thread views: 40339 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Ned
(newbie)
05/08/07 11:38 AM
Importing Inventory Items to an eBay Store  

Actually, it's importing items into new inventory records that are destined to end up in an eBay store.

I'm creating new inventory records by importing a CSV file created with Excel. It's going pretty smoothly.

I'm not sure this is a problem, but looking at the Categories, Shipping Options and Item Specifics tab of a new record, I did notice that the Category field for the eBay Auction Site is set to the category I imported, while the Category field for the eBay Stores Auction Site is blank. Is this something I'm going to have to fix by hand?

The Duration of 30 days is correctly placed in the eBay Stores Duration field, even though I mapped it to "eBay Duration" in the import process.

I went back to check the import process. I mapped one of the incoming fields to the "eBay Category #". "eBay Stores Category #" wasn't a choice.

Ned

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/08/07 12:08 PM
Re: Importing Inventory Items to an eBay Store new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

Doesn't the Import just work so slick!! I really like it as it works perfect for all the Inventories we get. Usually anymore, everything is in Excel so it is so easy to save as a CSV, choose the fields I need and just import.

The eBay categories have to be selected just as for the regular eBay auction. You'll have to fix the eBay store category field value to reflect whatever category you are listing in. If memory serves me correctly, you are right, the option for eBay store category is not an option. I will double check on that and let you know. But I don't believe it is an option.

The eBay store duration will be set to your default for eBay store profile, not what you imported. The default settings are pulled from the Auction profile not from the import. So if the default duration for your eBay store auction profile is set to 30 days, 30 days is what will display in the Category, Shipping options and Item Specifics tab.

The regular eBay auctions does not offer a 30 day duration. Only 1, 3, 5 7, and 10.

After you have created Inventory Items, be sure to check the "Stock Item" option or you will be unable to track your Inventory. And some reports are not available.

Does that help?

Judy/blue

Ned
(journeyman)
05/08/07 12:23 PM
Re: Importing Inventory Items to an eBay Store new [re: bluepennylady]  

In reply to:

After you have created Inventory Items, be sure to check the "Stock Item" option or you will be unable to track your Inventory. And some reports are not available.

If you import a Quantity In Stock field, the new record has Stock Item set automatically.

Ned

moonstruck22
(journeyman)
05/08/07 12:24 PM

I know it can be done but my thinker must be overloaded ...
How can I get a blank CSV file with all the fields needed to import to AW from Excel?
Thanks,

Marty

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/08/07 12:29 PM
Re: Importing Inventory Items to an eBay Store new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

Yes it does. I was only reminding you in case you did not see that option. So you wouldn't have a mess later on. I am glad you noticed it.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/08/07 12:32 PM
Re: Importing Inventory Items to an eBay Store new [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty,

You can save any "Excel spreadsheet as CSV, Then fix it headers to match whatever fields you want to import into AW2000.

Make a practice one just for fun. You can "Cancel" the import process.

Go to Tools | Database tools | Import | Inventory Items.. And select your fake CSV document.

Right click on the gray headers in the AW2000 import utility. All the tags that appear are the fields you can import into AW2000.

Select Cancel and you are out of the import utility.

Does that help.?

Judy/blue

Ned
(journeyman)
05/08/07 12:48 PM
Re: Importing Inventory Items to an eBay Store new [re: moonstruck22]  

Hi Marty,

I did a fair amount of poking around before I did my real CSV file. Here's what I did:

First, do back up your DB before you start playing with this stuff. Probably wouldn't hurt to rebuild it at this time too.

I exported existing inventory to a CSV file. I exported all possible fields and checked the Headers box. I then opened the CSV in Excel and took note of what was and wasn't being exported. I saved a copy of the CSV as an XLS. The XLS file became the basis for my "blank" file later on.

I started the Import of this same CSV file. Didn't intend to go through with it, just wanted to see what would happen. When you right click on a column in the Import dialog, you see what fields you can import into AW2K. I don't think this was exactly the same list as the fields exported, so it's important to know. I aborted the import.

Meanwhile, back at the spreadsheet: The order of fields doesn't matter. When you do the import you'll assign the mapping any way you please.

You can have fields in your spreadsheet that you don't intend to import. In my case, I had 60 drill bits that differed only in their diameter and length (plus the metric equivalents). I set up my worksheet with columns for those values, and columns for Title and Description that contained formulas to generate the text. At import time, I ignored the 4 fields and simply read the ones like Title, Description, and Qty In Stock.

Creating a CSV file from scratch wouldn't be fun, and wouldn't save you much effort. Create an Excel spreadsheet, enter or generate the values you need, save in XLS format, and then save it again in CSV format. When you save in CSV format, any formulas you use are replaced by their current values. This is what allowed me to create description text with different numbers for each size of drill.

Good luck and happy to help you,
Ned

moonstruck22
(journeyman)
05/08/07 01:00 PM

Ok, but can you go the other way? Meaning export what you want from AW2000 in to a CSV formatted Excell spreadsheet?

Marty

Ned
(journeyman)
05/08/07 01:05 PM
Re: Importing Inventory Items to an eBay Store [re: moonstruck22]  

In reply to:

can you go the other way? Meaning export what you want from AW2000 in to a CSV formatted Excell spreadsheet?

No problem. As Judy mentioned, Tools/Database Tools/Export/Inventory Item Records.... Make your choices and do the export.
Start Excel. If you don't see the export file in the Open dialog, use the popup menu in that dialog to say you want to see CSV files. You should then be able to open the file. Save it as an XLS and you have an Excel spreadsheet of all your inventory.

Ned

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/08/07 01:08 PM
Re: Importing Inventory Items to an eBay Store [re: Ned]  

Ned,

You got it!

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads